Quitting Hand Protection for the Most Part

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have discussed this before, and you informed me it was dangerous, but I still stand by, going through the motion of kicking something with your knee, before striking with the foot. Maybe it is dangerous for a beginner to do it fast, but the motion is sound. :)
Now I think I've been in the hallicinogens. What is this in reply to?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I told a beginner he could make his kicks faster if he kicked with the knee first. You mentioned they might hurt themselves, which is true.
Yes, but your last reply used my reference to hallucinogens, which was a reference to your "wrist of the head" comments. Did you purposely do that to me before I had any coffee??:eek:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
if you are punching correctly then it's actually less work on your shoulders. Use your waist(not your hips) when you throw punches and all of that hardship on your shoulders will vanish and you'll end up with a more powerful punch.
And I will add, drive that waist from the feet and legs. Do the work with the legs and torso, not the arms.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
if you roll your shoulders when you punch you get an extra couple of inches of travel. which could mean the difference between punching unopposed. and getting snotted.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you roll your shoulders when you punch you get an extra couple of inches of travel. which could mean the difference between punching unopposed. and getting snotted.
I question I've been meaning to ask someone with experience outside my ken - does this rolling of the shoulder (assuming I'm understanding your intention here) require a horizontal fist? It seems so to me, but it's not something I've ever worked on with someone who was trained in it.

Latest Discussions