Quitting Hand Protection for the Most Part

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've stopped using gloves and wraps on the bag to condition myself and make myself more aware of my wrists when I punch. When I am supposed to wear gloves, wearing no wraps with 16oz gloves cause more momentum on punches which is harder on the shoulders. It's turning out well, I recommend it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, I was referencing, leaving the ball joint in socket, with repetitious impact, and the damage that would follow.
Could you elaborate on that? I'm trying to picture the joint and how different punching methods affect the pressure transmitted to it. I'm not having much success.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've stopped using gloves and wraps on the bag to condition myself and make myself more aware of my wrists when I punch. When I am supposed to wear gloves, wearing no wraps with 16oz gloves cause more momentum on punches which is harder on the shoulders. It's turning out well, I recommend it.
If punching affects your shoulders then it means that your punching technique is off. Go back to basics and focus on how to throw the punch correctly just focus on technique.
I don't use gloves and wraps when I punch heavy bags because it allows me to stay more in tune to the technique of punch vs the power of punching. Sometimes we get lazy with technique, but you'll quickly learn not to when punching without gloves.

A new student joined our school and he punched the pads in a way that caused the skin from the knuckles to be ripped off. I told him that happened because his punching technique was bad and I pointed out exactly what was going on. Now he's able to punch better and more efficiently because he's no longer swiping punches. He has more than 5 years of martial arts experience and never knew he was swiping punches until he took the gloves off.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I meant that it being harder on the shoulders were a good thing: more work for me.
if you are punching correctly then it's actually less work on your shoulders. Use your waist(not your hips) when you throw punches and all of that hardship on your shoulders will vanish and you'll end up with a more powerful punch.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I meant that it being harder on the shoulders were a good thing: more work for me.
It is not a good thing, for the long term. You don't want to be injuring your joints at 14. I hurt my knee at 16 or so throwing bad kicks and it still bothers me. 23 now and I have to accept the knee issue will continue for decades to come.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Could you elaborate on that? I'm trying to picture the joint and how different punching methods affect the pressure transmitted to it. I'm not having much success.

Play around with where your elbow is. and there becomes different weight transfers.

Body shots are generally the most telling because people tend ro reach with them rather than move and then punch.

OP
KangTsai

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
When I am supposed to wear gloves, wearing no wraps with 16oz gloves cause more momentum on punches which is harder on the shoulders.
I realised that this was an issue I faced like once when doing speed punches on pads and I've never felt anything on my shoulders ever since. Of course I will still try to refine my punching.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run, you are gonna be better off dropping your knee to center before picking the knee up to kick, or anchoring your elbow on center, as part of your punching process, Anything else is gonna cause scar tissue to build up inside the joint. If you do this simple thing, it will increase your range by almost a foot. For some reason, this all works better if your knees are bent. :)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run, you are gonna be better off dropping your knee to center before picking the knee up to kick, or anchoring your elbow on center, as part of your punching process, Anything else is gonna cause scar tissue to build up inside the joint. If you do this simple thing, it will increase your range by almost a foot. For some reason, this all works better if your knees are bent. :)
Now I'm lost. Are you talking about the shoulder?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Here's the deal. You know a lot about being a young Martial Artist.
You're driving really fast and the bridge is out ahead.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Play around with where your elbow is. and there becomes different weight transfers.

Body shots are generally the most telling because people tend ro reach with them rather than move and then punch.
That makes sense to me - I'm still not sure what he meant about leaving the ball joint in socket.

Oh, and I do love it when someone reaches with a body shot. That's just an invitation for grappling.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, I think I know what you mean about the ball being in the socket. I never really paid attention to the shoulder, perhaps because I was taught the elbow position so early it's just what I've always done.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Put down the hallucinogens, TOD!:D
We have discussed this before, and you informed me it was dangerous, but I still stand by, going through the motion of kicking something with your knee, before striking with the foot. Maybe it is dangerous for a beginner to do it fast, but the motion is sound. :)