Quick Opinions of Everlast Flexcool 180" Handwrap

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've recently purchased a pair of Flexcool wraps from a sports shop sale: they were $16NZ ($11US), they looked cool, and seemed okay with performance. What was appealing was the feature of it having rubber meshing, along with normal materials, which supposedly allows breathability and comfort because the wraps are essentially elastic bands.

The material itself turned out to have very noticeable ups and downs.

Pros
  • it never smells to the point where washing is almost unnecessary.
  • very good at absorbing shock to the knuckles.
  • freedom of wrap tightness
  • Cool grey with neon green trim fits my taste any day.
Unfortunate Cons

The wraps, I've noticed, require a bit more care when wrapping your hands with. Because the wraps are elastic, they can get tight, meaning you need to carefully measure how tight you wrap to avoid consequences of imperfect/unaccording wrapping which include:

• pain in knuckle-palm area from constriction
  • circulation cutting
You'll end up having to experiment which kind of wrap order you want to take according to the wraps. However, I say it now that wrapping your outside wrist to between your index and thumb is pretty much mandatory to avoid some pain which can interfere with training.

No-Glove Use

The top layers of your wrapping can come off when grappling and/or clinching. To prevent this, I recommend wrapping every layer but the top, loose, with the top layer of wrapping tied with some firmness. In striking, though, the wraps are good at protecting your knuckles specifically thanks to the rubberised material.

Gloved Use

I have encountered nothing special compared to other wraps with boxing/grappling/karate gloves and focus pads.

Extra Info

The wraps can have threads hanging, Thankfully they are thin easy to cut without scissors. One extra issue is that the velcro is too short, forcing you to overextend the velcro hooks which can pull out some threads from under. Although it serves no detriment to performance, it may become a peeve.

Verdict

Unique wraps which can be easily stored and don't require much washing. Its features are good only if used properly. Velcro too short.

It's okay. Pick it up if you can stick to it.

Attachments

• 76220502_xxl.jpg
    76220502_xxl.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 127

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I never tried them, but the "can get too tight" thing would bother me.
Let us know how they hold up after a lot of use.

Latest Discussions