Question on new martial art

Shinobi Teikiatsu

Green Belt
Reaction score
There are plenty of martial arts booms coming in the future, don't worry about it. It looks like right now we're in the middle of an MMA/RBSD boom, and we could quite possibly be looking at another Karate boom, what with that fellow who won an MMA match being a Karateka.

Stop and take a look around, you'll see what booms there are around you (and yes, there are several)

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Modern version of arts that claim to use more science are not necessarily more efficient & powerful. Some may be, but many are the results of impatience. People want to be a bad *** right now. And that's fine if you just want basic self-defense skills. But a lot of traditional arts take time and patience to learn because the skills they teach about movement, balance, bio-mechanics, etc. take time and patience to learn. Most people don't want to wait. That's fine. But it doesn't necessarily make the 'modern' system more efficient and powerful. It may make it easier. But as can be demonstrated in many facets of life, easier doesn't automatically equate to better.

I am learning Genbukan ninpo. I have been practising what I learn most days of the week for the past half year. My progress is good. As a fighting art it is still not that great for me, as most of the focus in the beginning is on rolling, evading, body movement and stance. (I should note that I have no pressing need to learn to fight 'right now')

For ninpo taijutsu to become an effective fighting art, many years are needed. If you want to learn to fight 'right now' then boxing or MT are better options.

Looking at my sensei, and his sensei, I am convinced that with enough time and practise, it can be a very effective fighting art. Yet there are no shortcuts to getting there.

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Depends entirely on what you consider a "new martial art." Very often "new" arts are a question of reorganizing older content. You're probably not going to get a whole lot of new content unless one of two things happen: 1) Humans mutate and add a limb or two or 2) a martial art develops to address new technology. So you could, I suppose, point at something like combat handgunning being a relatively and substantially new martial art. (One that does more than take older information and reorganize it, which is also a perfectly valid thing to do.)

Weapons retention programs for deploying things like pepper spray or tazers might also fit the bill, though I'd generally consider any or all of the above to be "subsystems" of something. Not quite comprehensive enough to be thought of as a full art or system. But that's a totally arbitrary standard in my head. Not meaningful in any broader sense.

The whole idea of style is pretty subjective though. In one sense, you can put together a curriculum, lay down some vocab, agree on a uniform, etc. and develop a fairly convincing new style. Will it hold up in terms of content? Depends. But the concept of founding a style can be a bit superficial really.

Stuart

Latest Discussions