Quitting Martial Arts

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobquinn

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that you want to end this journey, I believe that when you end one journey it only begins another. Find peace within and the outer world will only remain a snap shot of your time here. After 30 years of training I only recall very few times of getting bored or discouraged in my quest. 30 years and I'm still searching!

peace my friend

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you study the traditional bunkai for Okinawan katas, you will then understand that these katas were watered down (changed) purposely, creating the Heians (Pinans) to teach to kids.

Been there, done that.

Things change, not always for the worse. Some good things got left out, but other things got added.

You seem to only want to focus on the things that got left out though.

OP
L

lostinseattle

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm.... Very interesting, considering I've seen Shotokan forms, and the forms I do are quite similar. So similar, there's a few shotokan practitioners that come to my schools annual tournament in forms competition....

Exactly. The Heians (Pinans) are included in Shotokan as are other Shotokan katas in TKD. There are two main schools of TKD -- some are closer to Shotokan and others are farther away.

If you want more info you can look it up on Wikipedia. This is all common knowledge.

Anyways, I HAVE to stop posting now.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wikipedia is some what accurate but the history to this is much deeper. I think researching and studying deeper would help you, however if you are not a patient person I would say you would not beenfit from lengthy research.

Ok can we end all this now please.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
??? I never claimed to be a salesperson. I said that MA teachers have to be salespeople, and I won't.

At any rate, I just got a warning for posting a 'rude post'. So I'm not going to post anymore on this forum because evidently I've stepped out of bounds.

And I didn't 'beat the crap out of them'. I hit them to show their weakness. I didn't hit them hard.

You are reading too much into the posts and evidently not reading them enough.

I find what you said in the above statement to be rude, I teach fulltime at my school and I for one am not a salesperson I'm the instructor that if you sign up with over the next five or more years maybe able to get you to your BB with the knowledge to be an actual BB.

And what does hitting someone have to do with the original post?

Are so sure you are going to quit the Martial Arts or want everybody to tell you your right about your views.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you study the traditional bunkai for Okinawan katas, you will then understand that these katas were watered down (changed) purposely, creating the Heians (Pinans) to teach to kids. These katas were originally included in the original TKD and taught until it was decided that TKD was too Japanese, so they created another series of forms, further watering down the already watered down forms.

TKD is most assuredly watered down, especially Olympic TKD.

At any rate, I better stop posting because I'm getting warnings now, so I better just stop.

Sorry for causing any trouble.

I would love for you to come over sometime and train with my group, waterdown my God man Football is waterdown, Basketball is waterdown, swimming is in th water so you know that is waterdown, do you ever see anything positive at a training hall or just everything negitive. When you se a glas half way is if full or empty to you?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Sanda is watered down martial arts as well. They don't allow a lot of techniques because they used to kill people with those techniques.

I think this statement more than any other you have made has cleared this up for me

Before you go labeling entire systems that someone trains you might want to know more about them.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38089&highlight=sanshou

There are at least 2 version of Sanda/Sanshou. The one in the ring and the one they still teach to the Police and Military. And yes the one trained for the ring has a lot removed. However the one for the police military is still intact and far from watered down, I train the police/military version.

Also if you train Sanda/sanshou in China or with someone trained in China NOT geared towards TV broadcasts and America audiences it is fairly nasty.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's Sanda is watered down martial arts as well. They don't allow a lot of techniques because they used to kill people with those techniques.

Try the Army, or the Marines, or any of the other armed forcesm, they still teach techniques to kill people, and they can send you somewhere to practice, too

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
??? I never claimed to be a salesperson. I said that MA teachers have to be salespeople, and I won't.

At any rate, I just got a warning for posting a 'rude post'. So I'm not going to post anymore on this forum because evidently I've stepped out of bounds.

And I didn't 'beat the crap out of them'. I hit them to show their weakness. I didn't hit them hard.

You are reading too much into the posts and evidently not reading them enough.

If you study the traditional bunkai for Okinawan katas, you will then understand that these katas were watered down (changed) purposely, creating the Heians (Pinans) to teach to kids. These katas were originally included in the original TKD and taught until it was decided that TKD was too Japanese, so they created another series of forms, further watering down the already watered down forms.

TKD is most assuredly watered down, especially Olympic TKD.

At any rate, I better stop posting because I'm getting warnings now, so I better just stop.

Sorry for causing any trouble.

I'm going to suggest that these two posts highlight why you've had trouble finding a school to meet your requirements.

It seems as if your response amounts to "if they're not going to play my way, I'm leaving." You can't take the ball and leave, 'cause it's not your ball.

Unless you've done very extensive research into the histories and systems you feel are "watered down", you're making blanket statements that you can't support. There are huge differences between tae kwon do schools in any area; some teach Olympic TKD, while others teach competition, and some focus on kid's programs, and a few still teach the more street effective "real" (not that the others aren't legitimate!) TKD. The same can be said of any martial art.

You've decided to quit. I guess you feel like you need someone's permission, else you wouldn't be posting so volumnously about it. You've got it; you have my permission to quit and get on with your life. As I said before; I wish you much luck, much success and much happiness.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You know what? Honestly there is something that my teacher had that I was lacking. We talked about this too. He said I never really got it.

It's something called Patience. I don't think I really have patience. Don't you think that there's a difference between putting up with something for a while, even years, and being able to work with people and teach them, even given their limitations and egos and foibles?

This is something that I just don't think I could ever get. I never could work with people and try to explain them something, and do it over and over, day after day, and deal with their egos and excuses and all of that.

When we used to spar and somebody wouldn't get a concept in class, like if they left gaps in their defenses, I'd just hit them a few times so they understood the weakness. I never could sit down and guide them through stuff.

Honestly I don't think I have the patience to be a teacher. Otherwise I'd open a school tomorrow.

Not everybody is cut out to be a teacher, and I've had enough bad teachers to not try to be one myself.

Plus, it really seems that being a martial arts teacher is the path to hell, so to speak. Because the instant that you become a martial arts teacher for money, it seems like the training gets started to be watered down, and the rates go up. Soon you're looking to get as much money out of your students as possible while giving them as little training as possible.

It just seems inevitable. IMHO most martial arts teachers are nothing but con-men. Sad to sad it, but that's what they are. Snake oil salesmen. Tell everybody they'll be able to defend themselves when in all actuality most people who go to MA won't be able to because the training is too weak.

Well, it sounds as if you've made up your mind. Training just leads to disappointment. Best of wishes to you in whatever you choose.

OP
L

lostinseattle

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well, it sounds as if you've made up your mind. Training just leads to disappointment. Best of wishes to you in whatever you choose.

Thank you. Yes, I've decided to quit, and it's about time.

Basically the bottom line here is that I've tried to be overly nice to people -- instructors in particular. I've dealt with their excuses, lies and shortcomings for years and years, because I was trying to make peace with them and they were all that was available.

But it's basically obvious now that I have found NO, and I repeat NO, schools that teach a decent self defense program in 15 years. The martial arts field is full of hipocritical people who on the one hand claim to teach self defense, but on the other hand realistically couldn't go down to an inner city and handle themselves.

They just couldn't do it. They couldn't defeat an extremely angry muscular attacker if their life depended upon it. The training has just become too watered down.

About the only people who would stand a chance against that are MMA people. None of the TMAs stand any chance.

So I'm sorry if this offends people and if I get banned off of here, but that's the bottom line. I'm done with dealing with the lies and paying people for absolutely nothing.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You are just full of excuses for not training. I think you actually believe what you are saying; so, I won't droan on. I will say however that the tricky thing about a discipline is that it requires discipline.
Sean

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I will say however that the tricky thing about a discipline is that it requires discipline.
Oooohhh, Sean, that was insightful!
icon14.gif

OP
L

lostinseattle

Green Belt
Reaction score
You are just full of excuses for not training. I think you actually believe what you are saying; so, I won't droan on. I will say however that the tricky thing about a discipline is that it requires discipline.
Sean

Bottom line is discipline doesn't excuse bad training. About the only decent training out there is MMA now and after reviewing the MMA training around Seattle, I don't think it is adequate. Saliverry didn't win his last UFC bout. He's afraid to go toe to toe with a BJJ black belt in STRIKING, for goodness sake.

Do you think 15 years is enough discipline? How about 25? Discipline means nothing if your teachers aren't teaching you how to defend yourself.

Bottom line is most all teachers now are a farce, fakes, and worse than that, they don't train their students for self defense. There should be a class action suit against this kind of stuff. There needs to be standards in training.

Most of you obviously won't admit to yourselves that you don't have what it takes or your teachers are substandard, or your teaching is substandard. But it is fairly obvious that it is. Or perhaps I should say the new standard is point sparring.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Most of you obviously won't admit to yourselves that you don't have what it takes or your teachers are substandard, or your teaching is substandard. But it is fairly obvious that it is.
No, I think that the primary theme to come out of this thread is that your ego won't allow you to go out and seek a solid teacher. Two have been pointed out to you so far. However, your blinders are limiting your ability to search, which is unfortunate for you. I encourage you to contemplate your position, and consider that there may be more out there than what you've allowed yourself to see. Until then, enjoy your discontent.

OP
L

lostinseattle

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sean is right. . .it is what it is.

??? Bottom line is most of you are wasting your time in MA and will find yourselves more hurt and more disabled doing MA and training than if you just stayed at home and watched T.V.

Because most of you who do MA will be more hurt doing MA than you would if you just watched T.V. Your chances of getting into a real fight and getting hurt are slim compared to your chances of getting hurt in MA.

If you really consider it, people taking MA are not only wasting their time, they are putting themselves in harms way for no reason at all, because they're not learning self defense, and they're increasing their chances of injury.

So I'm done with it personally. I would encourage you all to look at the hipocrisy with what you're doing and adjust your attitudes, but I doubt that will happen.

OP
L

lostinseattle

Green Belt
Reaction score
No, I think that the primary theme to come out of this thread is that your ego won't allow you to go out and seek a solid teacher. Two have been pointed out to you so far. However, your blinders are limiting your ability to search, which is unfortunate for you. I encourage you to contemplate your position, and consider that there may be more out there than what you've allowed yourself to see. Until then, enjoy your discontent.

These guys are nothing. They're not even good at kali. If I wanted to take Kali there are much better groups out there. My cousin studies with a better group down in Sacramento.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
These guys are nothing. They're not even good at kali. If I wanted to take Kali there are much better groups out there. My cousin studies with a better group down in Sacramento.
:rofl: There you go, you've just illustrated your limitation. How on earth would you be able to make such an assertion without having met them? :rofl: Whatever, dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.