Writer Seeks Information on Comic Book Martial Arts Ads

D

Dan Kelly

Hi All,

I'm a writer (and a martial arts student) currently at work on an article (which might possibly blossom into a book) about comic book and magazine ads for martial arts courses in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Older comic readers might remember them. They usually involved blurry clip-art of one guy shoulder-throwing another guy, or a comic strip of some dude in a suit and fedora kicking the butts of two thugs harassing his girlfriend—all followed by promises to teach you how to break bricks with your bare hands, take on multiple attackers, and so on. Karate, kung-fu, jiu jitsu, and judo were usually promoted, but I've also encountered books and courses for other systems I've never heard of before (like ketsugo, yubiwaza, and the like).

I'm interested in contacting people who might have worked in ad sales or the like at Marvel, DC, Charlton, etc. Especially, I'd like to track down the people who sold these books and courses. Finding the books themselves has been elusive, even on eBay. Any leads would be appreciated. Scans of ads are also sought. I've been buying up poor-condition comics and magazines to cut out the ads and collect them in a scrapbook. If you have a lot of poor-condition comics or mags from the 60s, 70s, and 80s containing these ads to sell, let me know.

Ads I'm interested in:

* Particularly, Count Dante and the Black Dragon Fighting Society. I sense he's a figure of controversy on forums like these. Living in Chicago, I have a hometown angle for this part of the article.
* Ketsugo
* Yubiwaza
* Karate, kung-fu, jiu-jitsu, judo, savate, and the like.
* "Kung-fu" or "Karate" weapons (collapsible batons, tonfa sticks, and so on) ads that promise almost instant proficiency. For instance: I have a vague childhood memory of an 70s ad in a Warren Eerie comic for a collapsible baton called the kiyoga, "steel cobra," or some similar hyperbole. It promised that its blows could be felt "even through leather," and I recall it having art showing a woman whacking an attacker with it, and a John Q. Public dude with a mustache pounding on two screaming street punks. I'd love to find that again.
* Anything else touching on martial arts, using fear of being attacked and promises of ultimate fighting power to sell courses, books, et cetera.

Responses from Marvel and DC's publicity and ad departments to my e-mail inquiries were pleasant but not terribly helpful (though one recommended that I hit forums like these). I have no illusions that many of the folks involved in these ads have since passed away (something borne out by my research so far), but I thought I'd try anyway. I'm not restricting this to Marvel and DC ads, by the way. Ads in Charlton, Warren, and other comic publishers, as well as detective mags, armpit slicks, and the like are also appreciated.

I'm posting this query to various comic and martial arts forums, so please excuse the cross-posting. Since this is a martial arts forum, I'll stress that I'm not attacking or defending any of these styles or instructors or their effectiveness or their validity, as yet. I'm still in research mode. What I'm more interested in are public perception of martial arts as seen through popular media. It probably won't suprise anyone that karate and jiu jitsu ads abounded in the decades immediately after WWII, but when Bruce Lee and David Carradine had their time in the spotlight in the 70s, suddenly all the ads were promoting kung-fu. Dan-Te, Ketsugo, and so on seemed to be wild cards. I assume they were blends of other styles largely promoted by charismatic/self-promoting personalities.

Feel free to comment here or contact me at this e-mail address: [email protected]

Thanks!,
Dan Kelly http://www.mrdankelly.com

P.S. Web links are great, but I'm also trying to track down back issues of Black Belt and similar MA mags, local newspaper ads, telephone books, and similar media from the 60s and 70s. The local library is no help.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As soon as I get some time, I will send you plenty of scanned old ads. There are variations of the Count Dante ad, as well as one for AICONDO where you were able to get your black belt through the mail in an age before they even had camcorders. Lots of fun to read these things.

OP
D

Dan Kelly

Ah yessss... I am suddenly remembering the Aicondo ads. A black belt by mail? Geez, and here I am wasting my time sweating and grunting at my dojang for three years. If I had known it was THAT easy...

Anything you can provide would be much appreciated. Let me know if you're looking for anything in particular for your collection.

Danjo said:
As soon as I get some time, I will send you plenty of scanned old ads. There are variations of the Count Dante ad, as well as one for AICONDO where you were able to get your black belt through the mail in an age before they even had camcorders. Lots of fun to read these things.

Latest Discussions