Quitting Martial Arts

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
L

lostinseattle

Green Belt
Reaction score
:rofl: There you go, you've just illustrated your limitation. How on earth would you be able to make such an assertion without having met them? :rofl: Whatever, dude.

Because I've trained in REAL Kali and judging by their clips alone, they have nothing on REAL Kali. Unless you've studied with the real thing, I guess you'll think they're hot stuff.

To somebody who has done the real thing with real Filipinos, somebody with a plastic dummy is just ... lame. It's extremely lame.

I guess if you haven't done the traditional dance with the old people and had some 70 year old guy put you on your *** with a stick then you wouldn't understand.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you are so disgusted with the quality of MA instructors in your area, then quit. That's your choice, and no one here can - or will - stop you. You have said repeatedly that that is your plan, and I have no reason to disbelieve you. However, I do not expect that you'll find people here who are going to quit on your say-so. People start training in a martial art for a wide variety of reasons - including the one you give for yourself - and they continue or quit for an equally wide variety of reasons, most likely several reasons per person, and it is possible, although, in my opinion, unlikely that you will find someone here whose reasons and experiences are sufficiently similar to your own to cause them to follow your lead simply because you are convinced that you are right.

I am convinced that I am right - but I am convinced on my own behalf - and I neither want nor expect people to follow me in my choices simply because I say so - no matter how much experience I do or do not have, and no matter home many times I reiterate my reasons.

You've made you choice - good for you, you've made a choice; that's more than many people do - and I mean this sincerely, without a whiff of sarcasm. If you truly want to stand out from the crowd, follow through on it. But don't expect to convert people to your choice for the reasons you've given, and don't expect people to suddenly agree with you in droves, as I find that unlikely.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Because I've trained in REAL Kali and judging by their clips alone, they have nothing on REAL Kali. Unless you've studied with the real thing, I guess you'll think they're hot stuff.

To somebody who has done the real thing with real Filipinos, somebody with a plastic dummy is just ... lame. It's extremely lame.

I guess if you haven't done the traditional dance with the old people and had some 70 year old guy put you on your *** with a stick then you wouldn't understand.
Doesn't answer the question. Although you may have tasted orange juice previously, and know what orange juice is, if I set a cup in front of you and you don't bother to taste it, you cannot legitimately suggest that what I've poured in the cup is not orange juice. You'd need to taste it in order to make that judgement.

OP
L

lostinseattle

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you are so disgusted with the quality of MA instructors in your area, then quit. That's your choice, and no one here can - or will - stop you. You have said repeatedly that that is your plan, and I have no reason to disbelieve you. However, I do not expect that you'll find people here who are going to quit on your say-so.

Actually if you want to know the truth, posting on here is an indirect way of telling my former teacher that he's full of nonsense. There's no way I can tell him directly without making him lose face and causing a big problem.

There are several people on here that will relay this on up the gossip chain. They've assuredly already figured out who I am, given my postings, so they'll spread the news on up the chain.

If you're not familiar with Chinese etiquette, then perhaps this is lost on you. Otherwise, you'll probably get it.

I don't expect anybody to quit over this. I would hope that people would demand their teachers teach a more rigorous program, but given the small readership of this board, I doubt anybody will do that.

This is all just a message ... a message that I can't give directly. :)

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well my training has saved my life and I know what it is to fight for your life. I know what real self defense is and what it isn't and I teach real self defense. You on the other hand seem to have to get that ego in check. There are a lot of great martial artists that don't ever show their full potential until its absolutely needed. There is no need to beat the living snot out of someone in training sessions.

OP
L

lostinseattle

Green Belt
Reaction score
Doesn't answer the question. Although you may have tasted orange juice previously, and know what orange juice is, if I set a cup in front of you and you don't bother to taste it, you cannot legitimately suggest that what I've poured in the cup is not orange juice. You'd need to taste it in order to make that judgement.

How can I put this ... in sporting terms, since you probably understand it.

Do you really think somebody who watched football for 25 years really can't tell if some quarterback isn't as good as Joe Montana? Or can't tell if some receiver isn't as good as Jerry Rice?

Just by watching a clip alone?

No ... right? So do you really think somebody who has taken MA for 25 years can't tell based upon a clip alone if somebody is decent?

No, right? It's not exactly rocket science.

Given the stances and body dynamics of those two teachers who were recommended, it is quite obvious that Warden has some skill -- the other guy is kindof lame. But Warden doesn't have enough skill that I'd bother studying with him personally.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I admit that I'm not familiar with CMA ettiquette, but for some reason I don't think that it requires that you talk about your teacher behind his back.

Also, if his training is such a farce, you shouldn't be worried taking a much more direct approach.

Bye

OP
L

lostinseattle

Green Belt
Reaction score
I admit that I'm not familiar with CMA ettiquette, but for some reason I don't think that it requires that you talk about your teacher behind his back.

Also, if his training is such a farce, you shouldn't be worried taking a much more direct approach.

Bye

Obviously you haven't dealt much with old school Chinese.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thread locked pending Admin Review.

Lisa Deneka
MT Assist. Admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.