Question on new martial art

pmosiun1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys, i was wondering if there is any new martial art that are still being founded today.

Example would be Judo was introduce in the 1930s, Karate in the 1950s, Jeet Kune Do in the 60s, Kickboxing in the 70s, Ninjutsu in the 80s, Gracie jiu jitsu, Dog Brothers in the 90s, To Shin Do, Crazy Monkey Defense, Machida Karate and Red Zone Knife Defense in the 21st century.

I wanted to know if they are any new martial art still being founded today.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi guys, i was wondering if there is any new martial art that are still being founded today.

Example would be Judo was introduce in the 1930s, Karate in the 1950s, Jeet Kune Do in the 60s, Kickboxing in the 70s, Ninjutsu in the 80s, Gracie jiu jitsu, Dog Brothers in the 90s, To Shin Do, Crazy Monkey Defense, Machida Karate and Red Zone Knife Defense in the 21st century.

Yes.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Judo and karate were founded way before the 1950s. I imagine the ninjutsu people will be able to tell you that its a whole lot older too. Gracie BJJ was founded in the 1900's. There's no such thing as Machida karate, he does Shotokan. The others I've never heard of though that means little lol!
Judo was introduced in the UK and the USA a long time before the fifties as was karate.
Not sure what you're asking really.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes new arts are being created. Some people are reviving arts and others are creating arts based on mixture of arts or personal direction.

Judo has been around since the late 1880's.
But I think you are talking about the hype and booms of an art.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Too many with the same techniques as the old, just a new twist on presenting.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Well... there's ThugJitsu and Rex Kwon Do...

Seriously, there's just common sense, perspective, technique, and perspective on technique and common sense. Labels just make it all more confusing.

Take Crazy Monkey. I love it. It's my "oh crap!" posture, and IMHO, I think it looks really cool. Crazy Monkey is a trademark, apparently. That's cool... But considering the absolute common sense that Crazy Monkey instills in the new fighter, I'm almost certain that at on point, there was a caveman covering up Crazy Monkey-style and didn't even bother to label it, thereby missing out on millennia of trademark profits and DVD sales.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah! And it's pretty effective. I like it a lot. What I really like about it is that the CM practitioner gets comfortable under fire and will begin to think strategically instead of acting in fear of the next strike. It's really good for a counter puncher.

That's my experience, of course. But I use it quite a bit when sparring.

Gaius Julius Caesar

Black Belt
Reaction score
New arts and systems are being created all the time, but true originality is much like true originality in music, everything you do has been done by someone else before.

We had a falling out with our Sensei, so myself and the other Blackbelts decided we needed to break off from him.

Now we are not allowed to use the name of the system we studied under him or any of the symbols in our Dojo. Fine.

I can say I have a 4th Dan in Icho Yama Ryu Aiki Jujutsu Quantico Kai (Itself the result of several Jujutsuka and Aikidoka coming together, blending their arts and starting something new from the old.) and studied Daito Ryu Kodo Kai for about 12 years, but I cant say I teach these arts by name.

So by nessecity we had to name the system we teach, our new orginization and our Dojo. Armatura Ryu Jujutsu, Combined martial Studies Group, Woodbridge Dojo.

It's not a bad thing either, durring the time we were under him, their was a #2 who had a huge influence on our martial arts development, much of it coming from his previous training in other arts. After he died, for the last 2 years there seemed to be an effort to remove what he brought to us from the system, as it did not fit the Sensei's veiw of what Icho Yama is. (and as the Soke of his Kai, he had that right, we also had the right to not deny a part of who we are.)

So right of the bat, what we are teaching has already evolved from what Icho Yama Ryu is, because much of our late Sempai's teaching is a big part of our instruction and training. All of us also have other MA exp. and that is being filtered into the system as well. We have a great exchange program going with a group who does kali and Silat, that is influencing us as well.

So 5 years from now, someone from Icho Yama Ryu could see our style and be able to see the Icho Yama in it but will also see that it has other techniques and tactics not in Icho.

Everything we are doing has come from somewhere or is the result of pressure testing and application of lessons learned, just like combat systems all through time.

Shugyo!

Dylan

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
You forgot that Cobra Kai karate was started in the mid 80's. Ha ha ha...who laughs at their own joke?
icon11.gif

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes, of course. With all the cross-training and hybridization going on these days, even more so.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've asked two different questions without realizing it.

People found lots of martial arts. They take a smattering of this, a soupcon of that, and dabble in something else, than give it a label. Lately, lots of those labels include acronyms... Some base the changes on real experience, others on tournaments, and some on who knows what? (You ask me, more than a few are based in ego and ignorance...)

There's also a predictable lifestyle as a "new" style gets discovered. The 80s had the ninja boom; ninjutsu had been around for many years, but it caught the public fancy. BJJ came along in the 90s, shifting to MMA in the last decade. Something else'll come along soon... and some folks will drop everything to chase it. Others will "find" the same stuff in their art, sometimes legitimately, sometimes by making it up as the go.

OP
P

pmosiun1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yes new arts are being created. Some people are reviving arts and others are creating arts based on mixture of arts or personal direction.

Judo has been around since the late 1880's.
But I think you are talking about the hype and booms of an art.

Yup, i am talking about the boom of an art and if they are any future boom.

OP
P

pmosiun1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You've asked two different questions without realizing it.

People found lots of martial arts. They take a smattering of this, a soupcon of that, and dabble in something else, than give it a label. Lately, lots of those labels include acronyms... Some base the changes on real experience, others on tournaments, and some on who knows what? (You ask me, more than a few are based in ego and ignorance...)

There's also a predictable lifestyle as a "new" style gets discovered. The 80s had the ninja boom; ninjutsu had been around for many years, but it caught the public fancy. BJJ came along in the 90s, shifting to MMA in the last decade. Something else'll come along soon... and some folks will drop everything to chase it. Others will "find" the same stuff in their art, sometimes legitimately, sometimes by making it up as the go.

You are right and some new martial art are not based on ego such as Crazy Monkey whom the founder believe the way boxing are teach is not right because beginners are hit in the head alot. To Shin Do is based on bujinkan but was organized in order for it to be easier to learn, having a standard curriculum is a good idea.

What i want to know is if they are any new martial art that are based on these concept that improves previous martial art. A new curriculum or new way of thinking about martial art.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Dancing....has change many times...

Singing/Songs always changing many times

Martial arts...always is changing too....

...is there a pattern here?

Aloha

CanFightIt

White Belt
Reaction score
Many of today's "martial arts" lack the ancient philosophy, making them a poor imitation at best.

Modern arts, even modern versions of traditional arts use more science & are therefore more efficient & powerful.

Don't believe everything (or anything?) you see in the movies.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What i want to know is if they are any new martial art that are based on these concept that improves previous martial art. A new curriculum or new way of thinking about martial art.
Not usually. Most often, if the new art is an actual improvement, the improvement is that the person who steps out on their own is simply a fantastic teacher.

What you wind up with in a new system is usually simply the teaching style of an individual applied to an existing and often renamed art.

I am planning to open my own school at some point, and one of the things that I am considering is simply teaching what I know and giving the class a generic name. Not a new art, by any stretch. It would just make me an independent teaching what has been taught to me.

Will that be an improvement over any of the systems that I have learned individually? No. Is my teaching an improvement over other teachers? Maybe, maybe not.

Daniel

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Many of today's "martial arts" lack the ancient philosophy, making them a poor imitation at best.

Modern arts, even modern versions of traditional arts use more science & are therefore more efficient & powerful.

Don't believe everything (or anything?) you see in the movies.
Many, many, many 'martial arts' never had any real 'ancient philosophy' to begin with.

Modern version of arts that claim to use more science are not necessarily more efficient & powerful. Some may be, but many are the results of impatience. People want to be a bad *** right now. And that's fine if you just want basic self-defense skills. But a lot of traditional arts take time and patience to learn because the skills they teach about movement, balance, bio-mechanics, etc. take time and patience to learn. Most people don't want to wait. That's fine. But it doesn't necessarily make the 'modern' system more efficient and powerful. It may make it easier. But as can be demonstrated in many facets of life, easier doesn't automatically equate to better.