"Question Mark" Kick

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you guys teach / practice the "question mark" kick ? Is there a Korean name? I haven't seen it formally in tkd, although guys do it as what it is : fake front kick , turning kick.
Luke%2BRockhold%2BQuestion%2BMark%2BKicks%2BMichael%2BBisping%2B-%2BUFC%2BFight%2BNight%2B55%2BUberlandia.gif

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
That was how I was originally taught to do a turning kick. My instructor is an ITF member and the ITF turning kick is performed differently (and I've learned both versions) but he also has roots in the Chang Moo Kwan. I don't know for sure but the method used in the kick in the video may be a hold over from how things were done in the Chang Moo Kwan before the KKW unified the Kwans.

Pax,

Chris

Rough Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
That was how I was originally taught to do a turning kick.
We still do it that way at my school. In fact, the first part of the move (where he brought his knee straight up) is the same whether we're doing a roundhouse (turning) kick, front kick, or side kick. That way your opponent doesn't know what's coming. So, to answer the original question, I would just call that a roundhouse kick.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We still do it that way at my school. In fact, the first part of the move (where he brought his knee straight up) is the same whether we're doing a roundhouse (turning) kick, front kick, or side kick. That way your opponent doesn't know what's coming. So, to answer the original question, I would just call that a roundhouse kick.
The slide makes it different

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The slide makes it different

Not really. I teach students to chamber the same way, regardless of the kick (or as close as they can manage...). So this is just a roundhouse kick. The slide is just one of several methods taught to close distance if the target is outside of range. It's still a roundhouse.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not really. I teach students to chamber the same way, regardless of the kick (or as close as they can manage...). So this is just a roundhouse kick. The slide is just one of several methods taught to close distance if the target is outside of range. It's still a roundhouse.
No, he is really sliding on the floor. Call it what ever you want, but it requires a higher skill level to perform. o_O

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, he is really sliding on the floor. Call it what ever you want, but it requires a higher skill level to perform. o_O

Well, ok, it's not the easiest version of the roundhouse. But it's still a roundhouse. And while it's more difficult than a standing roundhouse, most of our students can do a slide to close the distance by around 5th geup. They could probably do it sooner, if we spent more class time on it.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
We use/train it too, we normally refer to it as a downward turning kick. We always come over the front shoulder (so a closed side shot).

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, ok, it's not the easiest version of the roundhouse. But it's still a roundhouse. And while it's more difficult than a standing roundhouse, most of our students can do a slide to close the distance by around 5th geup. They could probably do it sooner, if we spent more class time on it.
None of this is rocket science. :D

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess the question would first be what are the characteristics of this kick that make it different than another systems "Turning" "Side Turning" "Roundhouse" kick? IS it the chamber? Support foot slide? Follow thru? Angle?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was taught that kick by one of the assistant instructors in the Hapkido I studied. I don't know if it was a more advanced kick in Hapkido or if he learned it elsewhere and just wanted me to know. When I taught, I did teach that kick. It seemed easier for women, or men who were very, very flexible; such as orientals.

The nice thing about the kick is that it can be transitioned into a face kick, side kick, hook kick, or knee or ankle kick. They all look the same at the start.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's a common kick. It's just a fake front kick into a roundhouse. The more flexible you are, the easier it is to use.

No one in either dojo I've trained at "taught" the kick; people would get hit with it enough times to say "I'll try it too."

Several women at my dojo use it quite often and effectively. One it particular will fake a front kick, hit me upside the head with a roundhouse, then bury a side kick into my stomach while I look like I'm swatting away flies. When she brings her knee straight up, I know what's coming. She's flexible enough to break up her rythym while standing on one leg and lands both kicks. Sometimes she'll hit me with a kick before I can block, other times she'll hit me after I block. Pisses me off, in a good way.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like that. After a couple of front kicks. But from the left (lead) side. Shorter distance and from a quite blind angle.
From the right (rear) side, it is a too large movement. Even Bisping can defend that. Joking. In fact, he was tagged!...

Last edited:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was taught that kick by one of the assistant instructors in the Hapkido I studied. I don't know if it was a more advanced kick in Hapkido or if he learned it elsewhere and just wanted me to know. When I taught, I did teach that kick. It seemed easier for women, or men who were very, very flexible; such as orientals.

The nice thing about the kick is that it can be transitioned into a face kick, side kick, hook kick, or knee or ankle kick. They all look the same at the start.
We call that master key basics. They all start the same; so, they never know what is coming. :D

Latest Discussions