This is not TKD... is it???????

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow.... let me tell you about last night. We finish training and recovering from the kicking drills I talked to my students (2) about the stomp, and the low kick aimed to the outer/inner tigh (with the shinbone), and aimed to the knee (the front of the kneee, the back of the knee and both sides of the knee). One of my students told... This are not TKD techs... is ist? Kyosanim??

Well that question lead me to a brief lecture about the low kicks used for self defense and we praciced them, I told them that even the Mua Thai uses the low kicks to destroy the foundation (legs) of theri oponentes we as martial arts people can and must use the low kicks to try to diseable a bad guy. It's faster to delivery a shinbone to the tigh or the knee than do a roundhouse kick to the head... and it's safer too.

Even we don't practice low kicks because of the TKD/WTF curricula we have it's a fact TKD has some other kicks like the low ones. I feel more confortable (for serius things) to kick low than high, so my confort zone is beetwen the knees and stomach.

Do you practice or teach low kicks in the dojang?

manny

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The kicks are TKD technique, so I say yes. Whether you sidekick someone's ankle or ear, it is still a sidekick. We also learn that the kicking motion does not only work as a kick; it can be a trip or sweep as well.

hungryninja

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We teach and practice low kicks on a regular basis, and also how to defend it. If we can efficiently kick high, we can efficiently kick low.

manny

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score

manny

Absolutely! High kicks and fancy kicks are all well and good in a controlled environment when your warmed up and stretched out while wearing loose fitting pants. It is quite another thing to try those same kicks wearing a dress, high heels, tight jeans or a uniform and 25lbs duty belt. Particularly on grass, sloping surface, ice, oil-slick pavement or in close confinements such as stairs, hallways, elevators etc.

The shortest, quickest distance between two points is a straight line. In a SD situation, a low gross motor skill kick has a higher % chance of working than a refined motors skill/acrobatic kick. I would add that using the shin rather that the instep is a far better option. And if you've done shin conditioning...so much the better.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We practice all ranges of kicks but when working self defense or partner drills we are expected to keep our kicks in either the low or mid range for practicallity. Student Carl brought up a great point about low kicks being used as sweeps and trips, I will say that we don't really train sweeps or trips much in my current school, but I have used them alot in previous training.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Low kicks are common, targeting (amongst other things) knees and the inner thigh as well as ankle sweeps. We also do a fair bit of roundhouses with the ball of the foot (behind the toes) which are more effective for bones like the outer leg than say soft tissue such as the midsection.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Traditionally, no Strikes would go below the belt IN TRAINING.
But you know what the difference between a Round Kick to the Ribs, and a Round Kick to the Knee is?

There really is no difference. Its just changing the angle of your attack.
Thats what ive found, anyway.
Theyre TKD Techniques, being used to Kick the Legs. Now, if i was told there were Techniques especially for that, then id be dubious.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Traditionally, no Strikes would go below the belt IN TRAINING.

Whose Tradition? Certainly not mine.

I see from your post you are "Traditional ITF" 7th Kup or so. Ask your instructor about "Side pressing Kick' and low twist kick targets.

Indie12

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Wow.... let me tell you about last night. We finish training and recovering from the kicking drills I talked to my students (2) about the stomp, and the low kick aimed to the outer/inner tigh (with the shinbone), and aimed to the knee (the front of the kneee, the back of the knee and both sides of the knee). One of my students told... This are not TKD techs... is ist? Kyosanim??

Well that question lead me to a brief lecture about the low kicks used for self defense and we praciced them, I told them that even the Mua Thai uses the low kicks to destroy the foundation (legs) of theri oponentes we as martial arts people can and must use the low kicks to try to diseable a bad guy. It's faster to delivery a shinbone to the tigh or the knee than do a roundhouse kick to the head... and it's safer too.

Even we don't practice low kicks because of the TKD/WTF curricula we have it's a fact TKD has some other kicks like the low ones. I feel more confortable (for serius things) to kick low than high, so my confort zone is beetwen the knees and stomach.

manny

Yeah, it's Tae Kwon Do! Low kicks mainly come from some of the older Korean systems (Tae Kyyon, etc)...

The WTF/TKD curriculum and ITF/TKD curriculum both include the use of low kicks, med kicks, and high kicks. WTF is more into the fancy jumping, spinning, multiple kicks though! ITF focuses mainly on SD type kicks aimed in the TKD arsenal. Are you ITF or WTF TKD, have you asked your Instructor about it?

We practice low kicking alot!

Kong Soo Do is correct, the fancy kicks are great to watch, but the kicks that will probably save your life are the simplest, low line kicks.

Simpliest kicks are the most effective!

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Whose Tradition? Certainly not mine.

I see from your post you are "Traditional ITF" 7th Kup or so. Ask your instructor about "Side pressing Kick' and low twist kick targets.
No, no. You misunderstand what i mean. I know about Twist Kicks, Press Kicks, and other variations. What i mean is, mainly in Sparring and speciality. For example, you wont perform a Low Instep Kick Traditionally.

I do admit i phrased that horribly, but based on the time it was posted, i recall being quite preoccupied at the time. My apologies.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some low kicks were taught to me when I studied TKD some 40+ years ago. To include in sparring. Of course, we were different, we didn't make contact in sparring except to block. However it was when I began studying Hapkido that I was taught most low kicks.

Also, I think most would agree people will do in real life what they train to do. At least, that has been my experience.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, no. You misunderstand what i mean. I know about Twist Kicks, Press Kicks, and other variations. What i mean is, mainly in Sparring and speciality. For example, you wont perform a Low Instep Kick Traditionally.

Sparring, or more proerly competition sparring according to ITF competition rules is only one small part of the ITF "Cycle of TKD"

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sparring, or more proerly competition sparring according to ITF competition rules is only one small part of the ITF "Cycle of TKD"
Oh, i know. But our classes are split in three.
10th Gup to 7th Gup (And Above); Then when thats done, 6th Gup to 1st Gup (And Above), then Black Belts.
I actually just Graded today, but wont have any results until next week. I imagine the second part of the Class goes more into that kind of stuff.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, it's Tae Kwon Do! Low kicks mainly come from some of the older Korean systems (Tae Kyyon, etc)...

The WTF/TKD curriculum and ITF/TKD curriculum both include the use of low kicks, med kicks, and high kicks. WTF is more into the fancy jumping, spinning, multiple kicks though! ITF focuses mainly on SD type kicks aimed in the TKD arsenal. Are you ITF or WTF TKD, have you asked your Instructor about it?

We practice low kicking alot!

Kong Soo Do is correct, the fancy kicks are great to watch, but the kicks that will probably save your life are the simplest, low line kicks.

Simpliest kicks are the most effective!

My dojang is kkw/wtf oriented one.My sambnim does not teach low kicks, I like the low kicks used for hitting and as sweeps, the low kick is a concept I am bringin to my students because I practiced them in kenpo karate and the class I tech is for adults only and this class is SD oriented and my students and I are not interested in the fancy kicks that we can not do.

Manny

TKD_Father

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Many forms include low (knee) kicks (Kwang Gae 13 - Pressing Kick, Koryo beginning Low Kick - High Kick, Po Eun 3 - Knee Level Side Kick) and even trapping a leg and striking at the joint.

And what about movements 2 and 3 of Toi-Gye, Low Spear Hand and High Back Fist? It was taught a bit differently to my son. More of a "Monkey steals the peaches" thing.