it is the start of Grappling

Mauy Thai fighters will use it to control
the head & use it to strike with elbows & knees

Ju Jitsuka & Wrestlers will use it to take the fight
to the floor.

____________________-----------------------------

The point i was making with the clinch
is that if pro fighters can not stop it from hapaning
then an ameture (not U personaly) has less of a chance.
_________________________________________--------------
And acording to P.D. Records most Fights enter into
a clinch 7 hit the floor before the fight is over.
_____________________________________-------------

And U are Welcome Every Martial Artist
Should have the Rite to Teach
& Start there own Dojo:asian:

K

Kirk

Originally posted by ace

Got a link? Can you post a jpg of said report? Anything?

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How Ever i can get u contacted with N.Y.P.D in Water
Town (315) 786-2601
Ask for Deputy Victor Rodriguez
He can answer your Question

Tell him his Cuzin Primo said Hi
& no im not in trouble:asian:

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by ace
Know the clinch is not en end in it's self
it is the start of Grappling

Mauy Thai fighters will use it to control
the head & use it to strike with elbows & knees

Ju Jitsuka & Wrestlers will use it to take the fight
to the floor.

I see what it is used for, but outside of the ring, that is not a wise move. Locking up someone can work, but I wouldn't advise it on a mantis person, or someone who works heavy "grappling" or Chin Na. Not in a situation where there are no techniques that are pulled or "ruled out". It is almost a sure injury.

The point i was making with the clinch
is that if pro fighters can not stop it from hapaning
then an ameture (not U personaly) has less of a chance.

The problem with that is that a professional boxer or ring fighter is not trying to dislocate or break the arm that grabs him. There is a difference in intentions between the two types of fighting we are talking about.

Again, these are PD reports, every conflict a police officer gets into is aimed at the ground, thats where they are supposed to go so they can handcuff them. Thats not an acurate statistic for self defense situations.

H

H@pkid0ist

Let me jump back into this real quick. I'm not going to make any blanket statements here, like 90% of all YADDA YADDA. From the fights that I have seen only about a third go to the ground. Usually that is the looser bum rushing the winner. When the fighters have been experianced the fights did not go to the ground, at least not untill the looser hit it alone. The fights that have went to the ground have been inexperienced and or drunk fighters. All the fights that i have been in have been settled and prevented from going to the ground. Even when I fought groundfighters. The only time anyone went to the ground is when I threw them there.

S

SteelShadow

The best way to win a fight is to avoid them.But if you do have to fight only go to the ground when you have no choice.Being knocked down pulled down ect.But in my experince if you do get on the ground try to get back on your feet as soon as possible.You have alot less defense on the ground than you do while standing.Espeacily if there is more than one attacker.
And as far as law enforcement being driven toward taking it to the ground that is a True and False statement. Im not a cop but i was a bailenforcement agent,And i am still liscenced as such Also i did priavet investigating and Security manager for Kmart inc.The law enforcement agencies are taught to get the bad guy on the ground without them being taken down themselves.
Giving themselves the biggest advantage as well as the most leverage to subdue a person.......Just my experinces.

K

Kirk

Where I live, boxing is HUGE. That may be why, but all fights that
I have seen, with the exception of my own, NEVER went to the
ground. Most were school yard fights, and bar fights, but I have
seen quite a few.

L

Lawman9

As police we are trained to take suspects to the ground to handcuff them. I don't always agree with that, alot of officers and suspects get hurt because they don't know how to land on the ground. If it's a large riot situation you DEFINATELY don't want to trip or fall to the ground.
Most fights that I've seen started when suspects tried to tackle the officer to the ground. They try to wrap the officer up and force him to the ground and hopefully get his weapon or knock him unconscious.
After knowing all of that, most police departments have JUST started teaching ground fighting techniques in the past 2 or 3 years.
In a self defense situation I don't think the ground is good unless you plan on restraining someone. You need to be able to leave the situation at your first opportunity, and that's hard to do on the ground.

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
COPS tend to have backup. Going to ground is safer when you outnumber the creeps.

L

Lawman9

I wish that was always true. Sometimes it can take a few minutes to get back up there.

G

GouRonin

First of all I agree with Primo/Ace somewhat. Any Bar fight usually ends up in a clinch with 2 guys holding each other to stop the other from doing anything if they can. Otherwise it ends up with one guy going down after the punch up or both going down in a grapple. Of course that's just one specific arena where fights happen and they tend to follow a specific course.

As far as cops go, well, they don't want to be on the ground with a guy ever as far as I can tell. I used to belong to a judo club run by a cop and he had a few friends come out and they wanted to learn how to control a guy into a throw or to put him down. A few cops show up at the submission fighting club and they like to throw you down using brute force but it's fun to take them down with you into territory they don't like to be in and see the look on their face when they realize that they might be in trouble just as you lock a nice choke in.

A lot of cops have no idea how to breakfall either. A lot of them don't bother to learn skills that will help them. In fact, once I helped put together a police knife tactics seminar in town by a reputable guy and I gave the cops a 50% discount and none showed up. Most are to damn lazy to learn something that might benefit them because they believe that what they get taught in police school is all they'll need. The guys you see out doing Judo and other arts are the ones who know that the stuff they are learning will come in handy.

L

Lawman9

Originally posted by GouRonin
First of all I agree with Primo/Ace somewhat. Any Bar fight usually ends up in a clinch with 2 guys holding each other to stop the other from doing anything if they can. Otherwise it ends up with one guy going down after the punch up or both going down in a grapple. Of course that's just one specific arena where fights happen and they tend to follow a specific course.

As far as cops go, well, they don't want to be on the ground with a guy ever as far as I can tell. I used to belong to a judo club run by a cop and he had a few friends come out and they wanted to learn how to control a guy into a throw or to put him down. A few cops show up at the submission fighting club and they like to throw you down using brute force but it's fun to take them down with you into territory they don't like to be in and see the look on their face when they realize that they might be in trouble just as you lock a nice choke in.

A lot of cops have no idea how to breakfall either. A lot of them don't bother to learn skills that will help them. In fact, once I helped put together a police knife tactics seminar in town by a reputable guy and I gave the cops a 50% discount and none showed up. Most are to damn lazy to learn something that might benefit them because they believe that what they get taught in police school is all they'll need. The guys you see out doing Judo and other arts are the ones who know that the stuff they are learning will come in handy.

I couldn't have said it better myself. All of my co-workers want to learn more about firearms that anything else. That doesn't do them alot of good when they get their lunch eaten in a ground fight. I even offer dirt cheap rates but I still only have 4 cops students out of a 500 man department. They say that they are too busy to go to classes. Oh well, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him learn any kata's.

Latest Discussions