DF: MMA Sport fighting and Kung Fu combative, the real difference...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I am learning more about MMA I am not going to judge by what I see on TV anymore. I can understand that there is more to it than what I see there. I just wonder how MMA sport fighters feel about what kind of image they are being portrayed as. The media is creating a horrid stereotype of a MMA-ist.

It may in the States but over here we've had some very positive stuff in the media about MMA. It did start sensationist but with Micheal Bisping and Rosi Sexton doing well we've had a sea change and things are looking good. Shes a TKD blackbelt btw.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/northwest/series5/martial_arts.shtml

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...ing-has-qualities-to-become-UFC-champion.html

Here you'll see boxing and MMA on the same page in one of the UK's quality papers not a tabloid.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/boxingandmma/

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
MMA in ancient greece ? I have never heard of that before. If you are referring to Wrestling, and punching and kicking etc....... then every martial art is a MMA. When I refer to MMA I am referring to what is stylised today. The BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing blend which is what 95% of MMA fighters have as their MA reportoire. yes I know there are other styles within the sport but the majority apply that formula.

Next thing I bet we will hear is that Cave Men pracitced MMA LOL. I am not gonig to argue about what is first in history, that doesnt matter to me. I was simply pointing out what I am exposed to via the internet and Television concerning MMA. You have to admit that it does not paint the most pleasant picture of the sport to a "outsider" that is insecure in his own training heh. Sorry for the sarcasm, I just found that funny. I never said my CMA was the be all end all, it is what I prefer to train in. That's it , nothing more, nothing less. Feel free to continue making posts to pound on me though. This is fun.......

no pounding intended bud, i've just never understood the need to disparage other styles. if i formulated my opinion of kung fu based on what i see in movies i would think it was only practiced by renegade cops & poor chinese people destined to go on rampages of vengence. you prefer CMA, some people prefer MMA, some people prefer both. no big deal.

jf

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no pounding intended bud, i've just never understood the need to disparage other styles. if i formulated my opinion of kung fu based on what i see in movies i would think it was only practiced by renegade cops & poor chinese people destined to go on rampages of vengence. you prefer CMA, some people prefer MMA, some people prefer both. no big deal.

jf

someone who does both...one of my favourite people Sami Berik, he fought on one of our shows a while back. Lovely guy.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/107269/sami_berik_training/

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it'll take a while to educate the public on MMA, even (or maybe especially) the TMA crowd. Shows like TUF (the Ultimate Fighter) have shown some good things, but really have wrapped up the image of MMA for some as the 'douchebag reality punk'.

I recently took about 30 of my closest buddies from my TKD org to a night of MMA fights where my team had 5-6 guys fighting. I think a lot of eyes opened that night, as they realized that there was a HUGE amount of respect and honor between combatants. And that it was a skilled contest, not the brawling, that they'd told themselves it would be.

Personally, I've trained since 85, all kinds of arts with TKD my first. MMA full-time since last October and loving it. Anyway, I don't see MMA going anywhere but UP. It's a very complex sport, and tests it's participants to the fullest almost constantly.

I don't want to attack any other arts, people, etc, but let me just say this... you'll fight, how you train.. how do you train? I personally bust my butt 4 days a week, 2 hours at least and leave nothing in the tank. That's how much I want to put in, that's how much I want to take out. My measure isn't anyone elses measure, it's just what I see and go 'yeah, that's how much'. Some guys do 5-6 days per week and 3-4 hours, some guys do 2 days a week. You get out, what you put in. Regardless of what it is you're doing.

Ramble off ;).

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to be honest, his hands looked a bit stiff to me, but he certainly had it when it counted! nice fight, thanks for posting.

jf

I don't know anything about CMA techniques so I can't say anything! he's a nice humble guy, he trains his sister who has recently had her first MMA fight. Has a website if you fancy having a look. His brother Huseyin is a web designer so it's pretty good.
http://www.samiberik.com/

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know anything about CMA techniques so I can't say anything! he's a nice humble guy, he trains his sister who has recently had her first MMA fight. Has a website if you fancy having a look. His brother Huseyin is a web designer so it's pretty good.
http://www.samiberik.com/

wow, that is one fancy-pants website! glad i didn't try to load that on my home computer, i think it would have had a stroke. you make a point about his hands, i was looking as a boxer :asian:

jf

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow, that is one fancy-pants website! glad i didn't try to load that on my home computer, i think it would have had a stroke. you make a point about his hands, i was looking as a boxer :asian:

jf

Ah! his one real fault though is that he doesn't have a manager to take fights for him and his judgement is somewhat off when it comes to picking opponents for himself. His record doesn't do him justice. One rule for MMA...get a coach/manager! Fighters should just fight, coaches/managers pick the opponents.

On the TUF thing, they've been auditioning in the UK for a USA v UK TUF, I know a lot of lads who went for it but the final line up is a secret. I expect though they'll have the sub titles ready as they did with Bisping.
There's also a UK V USA womens type TUF programme done by another promotion coming up too so watch for that, the Brits are being coached by Rosi Sexton. More news here
http://www.cagewarriors.com/

There's news on there too of the Cagewarriors American promotions, as well as an article about Dan Hardy a well known British fighter who's now in the UFC.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i have a fighter like that too...he's 3-3, not because he's mediocre but because he'll fight anybody & refuses to cut weight. your friend does have a lot of fights though, & that alone is respectable.

jf

Latest Discussions