This is what I get for being the fight instructor

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My days of taking pride in the fact that I have never been swept is now over. Last night I was introduced to a successful foot sweep and had a conversation on the ground. My role as the schools fight instructor is to help students learn how to use Jow Ga Kung fu techniques in a free sparring / real world fight application environments. I've been training the other instructor on the sweep application and he finally got it. One minute I was standing and the next I was falling.

It was a bad day because someone finally got me. It was a good day because the training that I have the students doing is paying off and I was successful in helping him become a better Jow Ga practitioner through the training exercises. Hopefully our school will be able to get to certain point where we are recognized for or fighting abilities. Until then I guess I should expect more falls in the future from the other students as they get better. For me I can't get better until they get better.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not so good at sweeping. I'm reasonably good at just knocking people down.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not so good at sweeping. I'm reasonably good at just knocking people down.
That works too. Sweeps are awesome because no one pays attention to their feet. Sometimes all it takes is a punch towards the face to make the opponent forget that he even has legs.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That works too. Sweeps are awesome because no one pays attention to their feet. Sometimes all it takes is a punch towards the face to make the opponent forget that he even has legs.

Agreed. I like to use kicks to the lower leg areas to redirect an opponent, distract them, or inflict pain. I tend to do it when I'm in close or in a clinch.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
When I left you, I was but a learner. Now I am the master. - Anakin Skywalker.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You have a far deeper appreciation and understanding of sweeps now that, you, yourself, have been swept. It can only make you a better Instructor. (after you get up, that is) :)
Good job in training your student, bro.

I love all kinds of sweeps. Years ago, a Kung Fu buddy taught me an Iron Broom. (I don't know the proper name for it) I don't do it often as it's usually a hard fall for the guy you're fighting. But I can still do it today, and can't remember ever missing with it. I do it in close, using the back of my thigh as opposed to my lower leg. God, I love that sweep.

As for getting swept......I've been swept so many damn times I got into the Janitors Union.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It was a bad day because someone finally got me. It was a good day because the training that I have the students doing is paying off and I was successful in helping him become a better Jow Ga practitioner through the training exercises.
Are you training people or fighting people?
If you're fighting, you must win.
If you're training others, you must teach. What is the point in 'winning' while training? Prove yourself?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you're training others, you must teach. What is the point in 'winning' while training? Prove yourself?
Agree! If you

- teach someone, you don't fight him.
- fight someone, you don't teach him.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
DIsagree. If you're fighting (In a dojo) you don't have to win, regardless of whether or not you're training others. Otherwise you get so focused on winning you won't try new things. Also some people get so caught up in it that they're willing to do permanent damage to themselves or another to win.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Otherwise you get so focused on winning you won't try new things. Also some people get so caught up in it that they're willing to do permanent damage to themselves or another to win.
This is why I do not fight (or compete), voluntary, anywhere.
I may spar faster (with a context in mind: street, cage...), 5 min in a couple of months, for check up. Usually it is too easy or someone gets injured. Hence, not very interesting...

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In

- training, you will give your opponent chance so he can train how to use a particular skill.
- fighting, you won't give your opponent any chance and he has to create chance by himself.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm training people.
We don't place any value in winning even if we to fight competitively or in a self-defense context. To be honest we are probably a little to violent mentally, being that winning isn't important to us. We literally train our minds not to be concern with winning. For us it's all about quality and successful strikes and defenses. For us winning is just a side effect of us accomplishing our striking and defensive goals.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Usually I give 6-10 chances for the same successful move. Slower and slower. I may give suggestions to solve my attack, if my move keeps working and I feel my partner will accept it. I need good partners to improve.
And if my partner is being too fast or too competitive, I mostly defend and counter the better I can with a 'Fedor' face. Slowly. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Iron sharpens iron.

Not fighting to win is a bit patronising isn't it? I would prefer to sweep a guy once honestly than knock him down a hundred times and know he let me.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is why I do not fight (or compete), voluntary, anywhere.
I may spar faster (with a context in mind: street, cage...), 5 min in a couple of months, for check up. Usually it is too easy or someone gets injured. Hence, not very interesting...
It's all about control. If the focus is learning and not winning then you don't have to worry about someone knocking your head off. You'll still get hit with some good shots, but they won't be the kind that seriously injure you.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would prefer to sweep a guy once honestly than knock him down a hundred times and know he let me.
If I understood...
It is not just let do, is to give the opportunity to learn. First primary school. Then, eventually, college. Or do you start from the college until eventually succeed?

In other words, start easy, and increase the level, step by step. What is the point in being competitive when the level between 'opponents' is too different? It is the opportunity for the weaker to see how to do, and for the stronger to try absolutely new things (as examples). What is the point in being always competitive, repeating what we know and never trying alternatives because is risky? Or because, under pressure (and tired), people just don't think (properly)?

Last edited:
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Usually I give 6-10 chances for the same successful move. Slower and slower. I may give suggestions to solve my attack, if my move keeps working and I feel my partner will accept it. I need good partners to improve.
And if my partner is being too fast or too competitive, I mostly defend and counter the better I can with a 'Fedor' face. Slowly. :rolleyes:
This is why I told the instructor that now I get to become better. He has gotten better to the point where he's a treat with that sweep. This means that I have to up my game which in turn will make me better. Just like all of those times I got him made him better. I actually get excited at the thought that I'm going to get better than I am now. I was good before, so what is it going to be like when I can be better than I am now. Now that the other instructor is better, he'll be able to push me, and correct me when he sees that I'm aware of his potential attacks.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My days of taking pride in the fact that I have never been swept is now over.
In my last Shuai Chiao tournament, during the final championship fight, my opponent tried to use "foot sweep" on me 3 times. He succeeded once and was countered by my "single leg" twice. I still won that match.

When you teach "foot sweep" to your students, do you also teach them how to counter it?

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
A man swept you off your feet? Grats, move slowly and respect eachothers boundaries and it may evolve into a nice relationship.

Latest Discussions