Qigong

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
What form(s) of Qigong do you train and why?

And if you could only train 1 no more than 3 what would it (they) be?

I have another question here but I just can’t quite figure out how to ask it without several paragraphs of explanation just to get to the question. For now these will help.

I have trained several in the past but currently as far a qigong goes I only trian Ba Duan Jin

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Holy Franz Kafka, Batman! I'm afraid you have a much more pressing concern.... If you cannot ask a question "without several paragraphs of explanation just to get to the question" then ....... you have mysteriously become..... a lawyer!

Qi Gong will not cure that.

I would say try a religious forum under "exorcism" :lisafault:

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
The early stages of Barristorophosis.... working for New York State will cause that....

I do owe you a straight answer on Qi Gong.

The first Qi Gong I ever learned was the so called 18 Form Tai Chi Qi Gong set that came out of China in the 1950's... kind of a fusion of the two arts, illustrated by Sifu Bonifonte (who has visited the Forum) in his fine "Tai Chi for Seniors." We use it as a warm up for Tai Chi.

Years ago a friend showed me Wuji Swimming Dragon and Dragon Pearl, which I then found on one of the Garripoli DVDs....... very relaxing when you only have that 15 minute break the state provides in the afternoon. I have to explore more of their work.

A teacher from the Midwest taught us the 8 Brocade form a couple of years back, as illustrated by Ken Cohen in his book. This fellow has shown me a video of a fusion form, but I have not tried it yet.

I've been exploring a batch of things.... sampled Soaring Crane last Summer and loved it, but didn't get enough to keep going on my own. I get the imprssion I've barely scratched the surface of what is available..... for some reason I flash back decades and get that feeling I had as a kid loose in the hobby shop...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy Franz Kafka, Batman! I'm afraid you have a much more pressing concern.... If you cannot ask a question "without several paragraphs of explanation just to get to the question" then ....... you have mysteriously become..... a lawyer!

Qi Gong will not cure that.

I would say try a religious forum under "exorcism" :lisafault:
Exorcisms don't work on a lawyers... Something about professional courtesy... ;)

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The first qigong I learned was an elemental Taoist Qigong. We would call it the Taoist Five because of the five elemental we used (water, wood, fire, earth, metal) in our exercises.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Currently I work with Ba Duan Jin and Golden Bell Cover, though I am thinking of adding Bagua qigong.

I think that these three cover my needs. My teacher always said you should have a moving and a still qigong set and the two I regularly do cover this pretty well.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe in maintaining a regular practice of the qigong sets belonging to the martial styles i train, for physical and energetic purposes.
For me this includes Tai Chi QiGong set of the style I practice, and Bagua Qigong.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
XS - joking aside, I'd be interested in seeing your answer to this question. Which Qi Gong sets have you practiced and discarded - and why? What do you see in your current regimen? Are you still searching for more?

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What form(s) of Qigong do you train and why?
Waidan Qigong and Neidan Qigong. Both supplement each other.

Waidan would be stimulation of the channels thru movement and Neidan would be thru mental projection or intent.

This may not be the answer you are looking for but even waving the arms
is Qigong what sets it apart is THEORY.

I suppose in a way like Acupunture you can stick needles and get a response but what really makes it work is the understanding of the theory behind it and though a person can grasp theory it is the letting go of this dogma that makes a practicer achieve the Tao.

An example of this can be found in Chuang Tzu concerning the Butcher and his knife that never dulls.

I have another question here but I just can’t quite figure out how to ask it without several paragraphs of explanation just to get to the question. For now these will help.
I think when the time comes you should ask it regardless if it takes several paragraphs.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
standing like a tree, old man burns the pill (a family set i learned), there are two breathing exercises i learned in kempo and in all seriousness, with my limited understanding ...the taiji form, what you do with the mind is what makes it qi gong...in a sense. I also work reiki, the middle pillar exercise and a few other non martial arts related stuff.
this, from my limited understanding of internal arts, coupled with a better understanding of energy work

marlon

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
XS - joking aside, I'd be interested in seeing your answer to this question. Which Qi Gong sets have you practiced and discarded - and why? What do you see in your current regimen? Are you still searching for more?

Talking strictly Qigong, meaning not associated with any other CMA I train or have trained

What I currently do

Ba Duan Jin

What I have done and been trained in

Ba Duan Jin
Taoist Meditation to calm the mind
Brain Tao Yin
Something my last qigong teacher called Standing Meditation in 7 positions
And did I learn the Crane set from 5 Animal frolics.

Why I stopped most of these is because of concerns of my wife in the case of Taoist Meditation to calm the mind and Brain Tao Yin and I stopped Standing Meditation in 7 positions and the Crane set from 5 Animal frolics due to time constraints

And I stuck with Ba Duan Jin because I like it

Formosa Neijia

Green Belt
Reaction score

I have trained several in the past but currently as far a qigong goes I only trian Ba Duan Jin

So my guess is that you're asking which system has the most "bang for the buck" because you don't have much time?

I like the baduanjin as well. It's one of my favorites. But it is a bit limited as taught by many people.

You normally need to train one of the qigong systems until you get the majority of the benefit from it, then you either move to a different system or get a deeper level of practice. Continuing to do the same system the same way will only maintain the gains you've made after a while.

So if you're short of time, do the baduanjin seriously then move on to doing something else seriously and you'll continue to progress.

Explorer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've tried and discarded 8 Pieces of Brocade, TaiChi, and some with names I forget. I simply keep coming back to the Daoist 5 ... but we've added some preparation meditation and purgation exercises along with 'Bringing Down the Heavens' ... so I now call it the Daoist 5.4. One of the exercises in 8 Pieces of Brocade exacerbated my lower back problems ... TaiChi had too many moves (besides I already know about 50 kata). The Daoist 5 is simple, effective and easy to adjust time-wise ... if I'm rushed I can still tonify the yin organs ... as with so many, I'm a bit yang.

I also use my kata as a qigong exercise and find it effective and fun.

xo

Latest Discussions