I’m not sure I’m worthy

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
There are certain basics that are shared by taiji styles that make them taiji without those they become something else. Yang Chengfu called them the 10 essentials or essences depending on the translation and if you look into Chen they have similar ideas and the same goes for Wu, Wu/Hao, Zhaobao, and Sun.

However what I was doing and what I am doing is not a change in anyway to the form itself but to a warm-up/Qigong form that comes from Tung Ying Chieh and I do not know if that comes from Yang Taiji, Hao taiji or a combination of both made by Tung Ying Chieh. As a note I believe Tung Ying Chieh took the ten essentials and made them 12 but it is nothing new just more of a breakdown of the original ten. I will need to go to his book to make sure of that

Yang Chengfu’s Ten Essentials

http://www.yangfamilytaichi.com/about/articles/ten-essentials-1

http://www.yangfamilytaichi.com/about/articles/ten-essentials-2

UNYMA

White Belt
Reaction score
It seems to me that there are a number of ways to look at this. We could probably all agree that after a time, we'll all move slightly differently when doing the same form simply based on our own bodies. I'm not particularly flexible, and getting a bit older so I can't move the same way a 20 year old does. As long as I'm not compromising my structure that's not very much of an issue.

Then there's physical principles of the system I'm learning. As long as my movements don't conflict with those then I should be okay. For example, if I should be generating power using rotational movement and I change something to a very linear movement I've probably strayed a bit to far.

Finally, I think most systems have principles based on intent. I think this is probably the area where a person could go off track the easiest. In the style I study we have 4 what I call attitudinal principles. It's a very aggressive style and these principles support that. If I were to change a form in a way such that my physical structure was still correct, the physical principles of the system were still intact but my mental concept had become very defensive or passive then I've really created something that's not in alignment with the system. I know I'm not anywhere near qualified to do that so it would be flat out wrong.

In a nutshell, what everyone else said :) Happy Holidays everyone.

PK_Tricky

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I feel guilty and basically unqualified to do this but I did it just the same.

First I need to say I do not think this is anything new or earth shattering or new and improved or an amazing discovery it is just rearranged with some things added to from other routines I have learned form other sifus and thing you can find in many CMA Qigong forms and CMA warm-ups. Basically it is just something that works for me at this time.

My Sifu taught me something years ago called Shi er duan jin which is a combination of warm-up and Qigong which he learned from his Sifu and I have done it for a while now, and what I have just started doing is the same type qigong/warm-up thing as well. Actually with my knee on the mend shi er duan jin is pretty much all I can do (well that and a Yang Taiji Qigong form from his Sifu that he taught me) and I have enjoyed it and it has been helpful but it just has not felt right for a while now.

Of late, since I have been spending so much time doing shi er duan jin, I have begun to feel, that for me it was not right, something is missing. I fought this feeling for quite some time but I gave up fighting this week and changed the form.

Based on the last 15 years training with my Sifu (Yang Taiji which includes Shi Er Duan Jin in my flavor of Yang) and my training in Ba Duan Jin and the Qigong and warm-ups from Chen style and Xingyiquan I felt I needed to change shi er duan jin a bit, not much, just rearrange and add a couple of things so technically I guess it is more like Shi si duan jin, although I have no plans on calling it that.

But I am rather a traditionalist in CMA and I tend to not feel I have the background or qualifications to change things like this and frankly I feel a bit guilty changing something I learned from my Sifu that comes from his Sifu who are both by far more qualified than I am or likely will ever be. I have no plans for teaching it and it is only for my use but I still feel a bit weird having changed it, even though I do feel that it is better for me at this time.

But I am still having these “Just who the hell do I think I am” and the “how dare I change something that comes form such qualified and experienced people” kind of thoughts

This damn knee injury has given me WAAAAAAAAY too much time to stop and think I guess.
Look man, I am relatively new to martial arts, but I have self-taught myself many other skills and art forms throughout the years. Read this carefully: You are the only person on the planet that has the ability to be the best at being YOU. Everyone is a prodigy at being themselves if they believe in themselves. Its important to seek wisdom and guidance, but at some point you need to look at yourself and adapt to who YOU are. In my humble opinion, (and from ALOT of practical experience in other art forms and skills), it can be dangerous to take someone else's methods and confuse a wise technique that works fantastic for fact in your own training. If you have been doing this for 15 years, and you feel something need adjusting, by all means, adjust it :). Good luck my friend!
-PK

Latest Discussions