Things that make me go hmmm

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Had a thought this morning.

First I have to make it perfectly clear that I am not thinking about making my own style.... please allow me to repeat that... I am NOT thinking about making my own style.

I was however thinking today that if you combined Sanda (non-spot) with Xingyiquan Nigong and a bit of either taijiquan qigong and/or Ba duan jin you could have one heck of a good fighting style that also deals with the internal aspects with no actual forms.

Actually I was thinking Sanda, Xingyiquan Nigong and some of the philosophy of Taijiquan as a combination and that, IMO, would be a pretty damn powerful combo. I threw in Taijiquan qigong and Ba duan jin just because I have done them for so long.

Just had to throw that out there to get it out on my brain.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So are you thinking about making your own style? haha, just kidding!

Interesting perspective, I would like to see how it plays out. Makes sense though.

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Mixing a few arts we know a good way to improve ourselves. sometimes when we mix things up in training, it does help us understand various aspects of each separate art better....

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
So are you thinking about making your own style? haha, just kidding!

:tantrum: How many times must I...... :hmm: yes..I MEAN NO!!!! :D

Interesting perspective, I would like to see how it plays out. Makes sense though.

I was just looking at the actual training of Sanda, which is rather hard (but more internal than any self-respecting Sanda Sifu is willing to admit) in combination with Xingyi Neigong training. I would also add some of Xingyiquan style stance training to that as well, not Santi but Zhan Zhuang. It would, IMO, leave you with some internal aspects and rooting that I like in combination with some just plain straight forward fighting. It was just an interesting thought

Mixing a few arts we know a good way to improve ourselves. sometimes when we mix things up in training, it does help us understand various aspects of each separate art better....

I don't really plan on mixing anything, other than in my demented little brain, but I do believe that this type of thinking can, at times, help one understand a style a little better.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
And Drunken style was born :D

Edit added much later

On a more serious note xingyiquan does have slightly curvy lines... well not so much curvy but it does have directions other than straight and Sanda has no set pattern as one might apply to Bagua or Xingyi

Last edited:

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Since you're thinking of making your own style......
wouldn't you say because you've studied multiple MA that in essence, you've already done that? I would say we are all a sum total of the arts we have studied.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Since you're thinking of making your own style......
wouldn't you say because you've studied multiple MA that in essence, you've already done that? I would say we are all a sum total of the arts we have studied.

Well I'm not thinking of making my own style, but all the arts we study do make up what we do to some extent. However you can leave things behind as you focus on another. I had to do that to actually start understanding what Taiji was doing.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So Grandmaster Xue (ehhh that has a nice ring to it!)
Since your making up your own style what will the name of this said style be? Not Xue Kwon Do is it? Or Xue Fu maybe?

Haha, just kidding once again! Please do not take anything I have just said seriously...

Ok no more jokes from this side lol!

Ironcrane

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Have you started experimenting with this combination? Do you have any partners to work with?

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
So Grandmaster Xue (ehhh that has a nice ring to it!)
Since your making up your own style what will the name of this said style be? Not Xue Kwon Do is it? Or Xue Fu maybe?

Haha, just kidding once again! Please do not take anything I have just said seriously...

Ok no more jokes from this side lol!

Well to be honest, Xuefu already exists and it is by far the most deadly art in the world, pssoibly the Universe and I cannot tell you what it is a combination of, since it is by far to deadly a secret to give out... but both the East and West coast are covered :D

oxy

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was however thinking today that if you combined Sanda (non-spot) with Xingyiquan Nigong and a bit of either taijiquan qigong and/or Ba duan jin you could have one heck of a good fighting style that also deals with the internal aspects with no actual forms.

How will you teach it?

Had a thought this morning.

First I have to make it perfectly clear that I am not thinking about making my own style.... please allow me to repeat that... I am NOT thinking about making my own style.

Maybe just make your own form.:D

Actually I was thinking Sanda, Xingyiquan Nigong and some of the philosophy of Taijiquan as a combination and that, IMO, would be a pretty damn powerful combo. I threw in Taijiquan qigong and Ba duan jin just because I have done them for so long.

Just had to throw that out there to get it out on my brain.

I've always liked how I was taught 7* Praying Mantis before LHBF and the combos you could make up. They actually flow to each other quite well, along with the other straight line non-LHBF forms we learn as well.

How well does Taiji and Xingyi and Sanda flow into each other, in your experience?

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've always liked how I was taught 7* Praying Mantis before LHBF and the combos you could make up. They actually flow to each other quite well, along with the other straight line non-LHBF forms we learn as well.

quote]

I'm curious coming from a mainly 7 * Mantis & Wing Chun background myself, what are the parallels that you have found between 7 * & Liu he ba fa?

Can you ellaborate how you have found them to flow well in your experience?

Thanks just curious, as my knowledge of LHBF is rather limited to say the least.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
How will you teach it?

I won't…. this whole idea is simply a mental exercise not a physical one

How well does Taiji and Xingyi and Sanda flow into each other, in your experience?

Actually, IMO, Sanda sits somewhere in between the 2 (taiji and Xingyi) as well as way outside of both. It just seemed that Sanda was trying real hard to NOT use the term Qi or internal in it's approach to training while using much of the same concepts only the names have been changed to avoid the arguments

But then it is also rather different which basically leads to it is the same thing but different.... and as much as that description does not answer anything what-so-ever it is the best I can do.

It just seems to me that the internal training of Xingyiquan, including some of the stance training would lend itself rather well to Sanda. And all I have to go on is a feeling and there were places where Sanda reminded me of Taiji and places where it reminded me of Xingyiquan and some places it was just sanda

scottm

White Belt
Reaction score
You are making your own style. But here's the difference. There is such thing as a "personal style" as opposed a "full featured martial system".

There is nothing wrong with developing your own personal style by taking features al la carte from the styles you know. I think people only get touchy is when someone takes a time honored system and tries to fundamentally change it.

I've personally been trying to apply Xingyi principles of alignments and such to wing chun. Can't say I've been successfully, but no one really ever knows that, do we? ;)

oxy

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm curious coming from a mainly 7 * Mantis & Wing Chun background myself, what are the parallels that you have found between 7 * & Liu he ba fa?

Can you ellaborate how you have found them to flow well in your experience?

Thanks just curious, as my knowledge of LHBF is rather limited to say the least.

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is that in both 7* and LHBF, elbows are down. From what I've seen of Wing Chun on Youtube, that seems to be case for it as well. Contrast that to Taiji where for example, in cloud hands or in some versions of single whip, the elbows are frequently pushed out (we call it flying elbows). So structurally, LHBF and 7* are quite similar. "Elbows down" is focused on very early. It seems like it's a very superficial thing but it affects everything (everything from qinna protection to relaxation to power generation), at least the way I am taught it.

Praying mantis is known for its hooked hands. LHBF actually has a surprisingly large number of attack/defence applications where we hook away an attack to defend or open up the opponent. My understanding of 7* is that it doesn't seek to make prolonged contact with the opponent. Just enough to deflect or to enter. LHBF is more like that than, for contrast, Taiji, where sticking to an opponent is important.

LHBF footwork is very much like Xingyi and Bagua when actually using it (but we also have a Xingyi-step like action for bow stances) and from looking 7* on Youtube, it seems many other schools of 7* have an implicit Xingyi-step like action for bow stances as well.

For me, they flow into each other quite easily since they have a shared policy of minimal contact and also of tying the opponent up by blocking the free movement of the arms.

oxy

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I won't…. this whole idea is simply a mental exercise not a physical one

I was approaching that as a mental exercise as well. Theoretically, how would you try to get concepts across without some kind of form, is basically what I was asking.