Q an A

J

Jill666

I'm having trouble with #5 but let it percolate a bit- you lost me at "circular clockwise movement". What is the left doing? How do they end up parallel?

Up to that point and from #6 on is clear. I just get lost in that one move.

:cuss:

If you can figure another way to write that set I would be in your debt :asian:

K

Kenpomachine

The left does a smaller circle, but I've yet to figure what it's meant to be.

J

Jill666

Oh- okay! *light bulb goes on over head*

Gotcha. A similar move is also in Saifa, which I just had the pleasure of screwing up repeatedly in class. Now I can see it.

Many thanks!

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7
Thanks mucho! This should be fun to play with.

again thanks KenpoMachine for taking the time and effort!!

:asian:

I can't find the original source of this "thread."

I would be interested in looking at what he did.

Where did this come from? Looking at what who did? Where?

Sorry I got lost. Mr. C. Should publish this thread as a book. I thnk I printed the first 30pages, but that was last year....
:confused:

K

Kenpomachine

Originally posted by cdhall
I can't find the original source of this "thread."

Where did this come from? Looking at what who did? Where?

Sorry I got lost. Mr. C. Should publish this thread as a book. I thnk I printed the first 30pages, but that was last year....
:confused:

It was like one month ago. I had to go back myself quite many pages to find it again...

K

Kenpomachine

Originally posted by Kenpomachine
1.- From attention stance, step left into a horse stance while doing a right horizontal claw (palm loocking downwards) and left vertical claw (as if checking) moving slowly from right to left.
2.- Reverse the motion and do a left to right left horizontal claw and right vertical claw.
3.- Cross your hands while going upwards and then uncross at head level to deliver double downward claws.
4.- Do double downward claws (they follow parallel paths).
5.- Step to 6:00 with right foot into a very low dragon stance (it is like a reverse bow). Do a right upward claw simultaneously (it must be a circular clockwise movement) and follow the motion until both arms are parallel and facing each other (left over right). Finish movement by tearing apart with both hands. Right hand must now be back and high, and ready to attack; and left, low in front, checking.
6.- Pivot counterclockwise into a left forward bow, do a high front right kick and land smoothly to 12:00. Do double downward claws.
7.- Step back with right foot and then to 3:00 into a horse stance, crossing your hands while going upwards at the same time and then uncrossing at head level to deliver double downward claws.
8.- Do a left to right left horizontal claw and right vertical claw, as in 2.
9.- Do right a to left right horizontal claw and left vertical claw, as in 1.
10.- Salute with left palm over right fist and close.

There is a mistake in #6 and #7. Visual memory is worse than muscle memory, and I wrote the set in an IT class.

6.- Pivot counterclockwise into a left forward bow, cross your hands while going upwards at the same time and then uncross at head level to deliver double downward claws. Then do a high front right kick and land smoothly to 12:00 into a horse stance.
7.- Do double downward claws.

K

Kenpomachine

At what time there were only 35 techniques in the curriculum? I think that was what was taught to me the first time I got into a kenpo class in the 80's.
We were somewhat behind, uh? :eek:

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kenpomachine
At what time there were only 35 techniques in the curriculum? I think that was what was taught to me the first time I got into a kenpo class in the 80's.

I don't know of a time when there were "only" 35 Techniques.

There WAS a time when the Orange - Purple - Blue & Green, had 32 techniques per belt.

If that is what you mean.

K

Kenpomachine

No, not exactly.
When kenpo first arrived to Spain it only had 35 techniques. One of the explanations go like this, that those were the techniques Arturo Petit knew by the time he had to left Ed Parker's side at the beginning.

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by cdhall
I think the big deal is that he parted with Mr. Parker in the 80's on bad terms and also that his Panther videos promoted him as a/the Kenpo Master when Mr. Parker was alive (I think) and that didn't seem right.

Well I have no idea about Larry Tatum's history, his feuds, or any of that. I have never met him, I don't know if he's friendly or not. Or approachable or a good teacher.

But when I saw his tapes, it was like an epiphany. I thought "that's what kenpo is supposed to be!". Now that is not a slam against other instructors. I have seen many good ones, and some bad ones. Some have thier mechanics done well...some move with great fluidity. But Tatum has it all, in my opinion. If you get a chance to see him move do so. I think he sets the standard of how Kenpo artist should move.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Mr. C,
I am not sure but I thought that I read somewhere in the Jorney, that in either the 1950's or the early 60's, that the entire system at the time only had thirty some techniques.

W

webpage20022003

Originally posted by Ender
I think he sets the standard of how Kenpo artist should move.

i hope he doesn't move like a girl
:p :D ;)
just a joke

K

Kirk

I think he sets the standard of how Kenpo artist should move.

I thought there was no standard? I thought Kenpo was an art
that you could taylor and customize to suit yourself, and your own
size/height/weight/ability/disability ??? :confused:

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll tootsie pop?:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by Kirk
I thought there was no standard? I thought Kenpo was an art
that you could taylor and customize to suit yourself, and your own
size/height/weight/ability/disability ??? :confused:

Certainly there is no standard type of movement, it's an idea. Get behind the wheel of a brand new Ford Focus and drive it for awhile. Then get behind the wheel of a Brand new Northstar Cadillac and tell me which one would you rather have if you had the choice. You're going to pick the one that suits you, your style of driving, what the use of the vehicle is, etc.. Same thing in Kenpo, you can feel the differences and see the difference.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

sumdumguy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well I have no idea about Larry Tatum's history, his feuds, or any of that. I have never met him, I don't know if he's friendly or not. Or approachable or a good teacher.

But when I saw his tapes, it was like an epiphany. I thought "that's what kenpo is supposed to be!". Now that is not a slam against other instructors. I have seen many good ones, and some bad ones. Some have thier mechanics done well...some move with great fluidity. But Tatum has it all, in my opinion. If you get a chance to see him move do so. I think he sets the standard of how Kenpo artist should move.

Hmmmmm??? Having dummied for Mr. Tatum at a seminar in the Northwest I would say that he is approachable and very friendly. I think though, that you need to get out more if you had an epiphany watching his tapes..... Don't get me wrong, he does move well, as he should and would be expected for someone of his rank and experience. I just think that.... well it doesn't matter, we all have our own opinions. This is just mine, not meant to be a slight by any means.

Have a Nice Day!!! :asian: :asian:

XtremeJ_AKKI

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well I have no idea about Larry Tatum's history, his feuds, or any of that.

His feuds? Man, that makes Mr. Tatum sound like a pro-wrestler! :rofl:

Do you think he can whup the Untertaker? :confused:

:rofl:

K

Kenpomachine

Originally posted by Seig
Mr. C,
I am not sure but I thought that I read somewhere in the Jorney, that in either the 1950's or the early 60's, that the entire system at the time only had thirty some techniques.

If that is true, then Petit should had left Mr Parker and gone back to his country in the 60's...

Latest Discussions