Q an A

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by ob2c
All that, and probably more! Gd7, thanks for the reply, and the insight into Mr. Parkers' personality.

That's what this thread is for.... Questions that you shoot at me. I may not know all or the correct answers but I'll give it my best shot. ** wink **;)

:asian:

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know you are making Sigung's Gathering this coming weekend. Are you going to be able to swing John Sepulveda's California Spirit Camp the next weekend?

Hope you make it.

-Michael

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Michael Billings
I know you are making Sigung's Gathering this coming weekend. Are you going to be able to swing John Sepulveda's California Spirit Camp the next weekend? Hope you make it.
-Michael

Don't know yet.

:confused:

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Goldendragon7
Which is more important:...........
"Time" in the Art or "Rank" in the Art?

Always TIME! The more seasoned the person is, the better. Age and winsdom will always win out.:asian:

T

tunetigress

Originally posted by RCastillo
Always TIME! The more seasoned the person is, the better. Age and winsdom will always win out.:asian:

This bodes well for all us old and wise underbelts out here! Does this means it's not a demeaning thing to take forever to advance in rank? Maybe there's hope for me yet! ;)

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by tunetigress
This bodes well for all us old and wise underbelts out here! Does this means it's not a demeaning thing to take forever to advance in rank? Maybe there's hope for me yet! ;)

Demeaning? Never. We're all on our separate path, and will influence others below us as we guide them. The ones above us will be there to guide us, in return.:asian:

E

Elfan

Time as measured by amount of training they have done, not by how many "years" they have in the art.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well someone had to lie about it :rofl:

It used to be in the old days that one was reflection of the other, but now it seems to be all about rank. :(

:confused:

Klondike (aka Chuck)

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Originally posted by tunetigress
How long you take isn't the issue, it's the quality you develop in that time. Of course, as we grow older and incur illness or injury, somethings necessitate change in the way we do things. So, you may be stronger at one thing than I am, or vice versa, either way, it doesn't negate your knowledge or skill, it just makes us individual. And I agree with Ricardo, we mid-level black belts are here to guide the underbelts and the senior black belts are here to guide us.

K

Kenpomachine

Quality!!

There's black belts there with lots of years of training that work exactly the same as they did when they tested for they black and haven't learned a thing since...

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Seig
we mid-level black belts are here to guide the underbelts and the senior black belts are here to guide us.

Well,

Falling in line with my normally critical modus operandi let me ask a few questions.

1) what grade would you give the AK mid-level black belts in this pursuit to "guide" in general?

2) what have you found to be the most difficult part of this responsibility?

3) the above statement implies a pecking order, are "underbelts" not allowed to go straight to the well for a drink?

jb:asian:

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo
We're all on our separate path, and will influence others below us as we guide them.

I would argue that "guidance" which is really "knowledge" doesn't always follow the direction of gravity.

jb:asian:

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by jbkenpo
Well,

Falling in line with my normally critical modus operandi let me ask a few questions.
I'll do my best to answer them.

1) what grade would you give the AK mid-level black belts in this pursuit to "guide" in general?
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this question, but if I am interpreting it correctly, I call 2nd, 3rd and 4th Degree Black belts "mid-level". That is MY interpretation.

2) what have you found to be the most difficult part of this responsibility?
The most difficult thing to me, is passing along the knowledge I have gained at a pace slower than I would like. Sometimes it is difficult to remember that not everyone has my passion for Kenpo, and Ihave a tendency to try and give too much information to fast for it to be internalized and understood properly.
3) the above statement implies a pecking order, are "underbelts" not allowed to go straight to the well for a drink?
I do not feel that a blanket answer can really cover that. I do feel that to a degree it is disrepectful for a student to go over his instructor's head to the instructor's instructor. There may be times or situations where this is acceptable. It all depends on the situation and the practitioners involved. I do believe there is a "pecking order". For example, I would be highly displeased with one of my orange belts calling Mr. Conatser at home for help on kicking set. On the other hand,I have students preparing for their black belts, and since Mr. C is the head of the organization and in charge of the promoting body, I may not have an issue of they called him for input on their thesis or maybe about an Insight on Long 4 or their personal form that I may not have had. But, if htey took such an action without securing both my and Mr. C's permission first, I would be displeased with them. Nor would I find it acceptable for me to call Mr. LaBounty because I disagreed with Mr C or I wanted to know something I was told I was not ready for. Those are just examples.

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Seig
I'll do my best to answer them.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this question, but if I am interpreting it correctly, I call 2nd, 3rd and 4th Degree Black belts "mid-level". That is MY interpretation.

The most difficult thing to me, is passing along the knowledge I have gained at a pace slower than I would like. Sometimes it is difficult to remember that not everyone has my passion for Kenpo, and Ihave a tendency to try and give too much information to fast for it to be internalized and understood properly.

I do not feel that a blanket answer can really cover that. I do feel that to a degree it is disrepectful for a student to go over his instructor's head to the instructor's instructor. There may be times or situations where this is acceptable. It all depends on the situation and the practitioners involved. I do believe there is a "pecking order". For example, I would be highly displeased with one of my orange belts calling Mr. Conatser at home for help on kicking set. On the other hand,I have students preparing for their black belts, and since Mr. C is the head of the organization and in charge of the promoting body, I may not have an issue of they called him for input on their thesis or maybe about an Insight on Long 4 or their personal form that I may not have had. But, if htey took such an action without securing both my and Mr. C's permission first, I would be displeased with them. Nor would I find it acceptable for me to call Mr. LaBounty because I disagreed with Mr C or I wanted to know something I was told I was not ready for. Those are just examples.

Fair answers,

On grade I was referring to pass/fail or A thru F...

I agree with the 2nd answer and partially agree with the 3rd answer based on your situation (i.e. head of a school, etc..). Thanks for the input.

jb

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by jbkenpo
Fair answers,

On grade I was referring to pass/fail or A thru F...

I agree with the 2nd answer and partially agree with the 3rd answer based on your situation (i.e. head of a school, etc..). Thanks for the input.

jb
JB,
I don't feel that I am qualified to give a pass/fail grade to others teaching the art. On the whole it is a delicate subject.

B

brianhunter

Hey Mr C!

Sorry for not letting your thread go away ;)

1) How long was Mr Parker training before he earned his black belt?

2) How long was Mr Parker at the art when he decided to break off and impliment his own system of kenpo?

3) How long at the art was he when he donned a 10th?

Thanks much Sir
Brian

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by brianhunter
Hey Mr C!

Sorry for not letting your thread go away ;)

1) How long was Mr Parker training before he earned his black belt?

2) How long was Mr Parker at the art when he decided to break off and impliment his own system of kenpo?

3) How long at the art was he when he donned a 10th?

Thanks much Sir
Brian

Hi folks!
Brian asked me these questions this morning so I thought i'd answer them here as well...

1.Mr. Parker did indeed receive his black belt from Prof. Chow and the actual certificate he received is featured in the "Memories of Ed Parker" book. I'm in the process of relocating my studio so if someone would be so kind as to look and place the date on this thread?
2.Mr. Parker on several occasions tried to get Prof. Chow to come to the mainland with no sucess. He would also look at certain techniques and from his past experience on the streets of the kalihi district and see that some of the movements were not practical ,per se, in modern encounters. As far as offically when it happened, I'd probably say the 1960's where the actual "parting of the ways" occured.
3.The approximate date that Mr. Parker donned the tenth Degree Black Belt was subsiquent to the creation and completion of what was originally titled "Advanced Kenpo". However, Jay T. Will had recently published a book with that titile, So, Mr. Parker used "infinite insights into kenpo". That was his "masterpiece".

I think what Brian is trying to get to is that Ed Parker had a logical progression in regards to his rank promotions and agenda for the requirements he had for his ranks.
at one point some of his students got together and said to Mr. Parker "Mr. Parker, we feel that you should wear the Tenth Degree Black Belt." He got very offended and said to the person "I'LL tell YOU when i'm ready to wear a tenth!"
I hope that I was of some service,
KENPOJOE

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by KENPOJOE
...So, Mr. Parker used "infinite insights into kenpo". That was his "masterpiece"....

Joe and Mr. C;

Would either of you comment on the stuff in Infinite Insights that was put in "wrong?"

I took Book 5 into Mr. Duffy last night to go over the salutation. It seems that the open hand signifies the side you are doing, however we always use the Left and then Right open hands to announce the form but then proceed to do the Right side first.

So was that put in "wrong" to trip people up? Or do I misunderstand the Salutation.

And is there anything else that was "snuck in" like that?

Thanks in advance.

Latest Discussions