punching...

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Its funny to see a grown man start yelling at a kid because he disagreed with him lol.

Talk about you having a lack of self control. How could you ever teach a student anything when he would be to afraid to ask a question without you blowing up in his face.

I'm not sure how much education you have but.....there is a muscle that covers your shin. A muscle covers every part of your body with maybe the exception of your skull, your armpit and your fragile parts like fingers and toes.

Why do you think its so much easier to break a toe or a finger when compared to breaking your femer?

Maybe its because you have so much muscle protecting your main area's of your body so they don't get injuried. AKA there is a muscle that covers your shin lol. I can't believe you said there wasn't a muscle there lol lol.

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Also you do realize by saying to calm down and to not act outrageous is a contradiction to what your doing right now. Its funny how such an "educated" person like yourself can't see that you are a hypocrit and all you do is try to control and manipulate people.

Oh, and I don't mean to question the authenticity of your training but how can you absolutely sure that what you are learning is what they teach in the Thai boxing gyms?

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well at least your tone has changed a little if not the insults. Guess its something. I was hoping you'd pick up on my humor when I followed my capital letters with "whew.....think my throat is sore"

You were talking about your calf muscle being used in the shield and you know it. And that is completely wrong.

I'll respond to just one thing from your reply.

"Oh, and I don't mean to question the authenticity of your training but how can you absolutely sure that what you are learning is what they teach in the Thai boxing gyms?"

We travel to Thailand yearly and train at several different Muay Thai gyms.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Guys, take the -personal differences- to either PM or Email and please stick to the technical side of things. The good stuffs getting lost in the BS.

Thank You

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Carbon

I'm not sure how much education you have but.....there is a muscle that covers your shin. A muscle covers every part of your body with maybe the exception of your skull, your armpit and your fragile parts like fingers and toes.
Feel your shin along the inner side along the bone. There may be muscle there, but it's barely present. On the outer side of the shin, there is a muscle, but it does little to protect your shin from injury against a hit without conditioning. I know this from painful experience when I caught a heel on my shin during sparring. Had a knot the size of an egg on my shin half an hour after class, and I couldn't put weight on that leg. The muscle didn't help for beans.

That aside, just check the relative muscle density of any given spot on your body. Your ribs may have some muscle on them, but a shot to the floating ribs is going to hurt, mainly because there's not enough muscle, or support to absorb the shock of a strike. That's why pressure points like the solar plexus etc are effective. Lotsa nerves, no real good way to protect them with muscle alone.

OP
C

chufeng

Actually the ribs do provide good protection to the organs behind them due to their springy nature...Yes a well trained artist can learn to overcome that with shocking strike techniques...but then the body wasn't built for that...when someone gets a broken rib from whatever kind of trauma, think about what would have happened to the underlying organs if the ribs hadn't absorbed the majority of that force. The ribs are connected to the sternum by a thick network of cartilage.

The floating rib is not connected to the sternum, hence the term "floating" rib...Getting struck with any force in the floating rib could potentially cause significant internal damage as the tip of the rib is rapidly displaced into the softer organs underneath.

The shaft of the tibia, medially, is only covered by skin, subcutaneous tissue, and periosteum...the muscle that some people can develop to a point where it slightly overlaps the anterior aspect of the "shin" originates lateral to the tibia, but the bone is still unprotected medially. If one were to receive a "shin-kick" to the muscle that lies lateral to the tibia, the muscle would sustain a crushing type injury as it's pinched between the two tibias (the kicker's and the defender's).

:asian:
chufeng

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thankyou Doctor Chufeng! haha

"The shaft of the tibia, medially, is only covered by skin, subcutaneous tissue, and periosteum...the muscle that some people can develop to a point where it slightly overlaps the anterior aspect of the "shin" originates lateral to the tibia, but the bone is still unprotected medially"

That "shaft" of the tibia is the striking tool and the blocking tool in Muay Thai. Bone on bone.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
MT has been around for a long time. Is there any reported medical case of the side effect of shin conditioning?

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know that if you condition your shins the stupid way you have problems down the road, I've never heard of any problems associated with kicking the banana bag to condition your shins though.

The stupid way being smashing your shins with a hard object regularly or rolling on coke bottles with your shins etc...you get faster results but suffer for it later.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cool. Thank you.

My guess is that the small amount of cushion and longer 'conditioning' time associated with the bananabag allows for a better, less complicated treatment, rather than just whacking your leg into a tree.

again, im guessing though.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Carbon, theres plenty of cushion on a banana bag compared to beating your legs with a stick or rolling on coke bottles sheesh. So in a sense, ya a banana bag is a pillow compared to the alternatives I mentioned.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have a bannana bag and the strikes of kicks in the lower region can be quite a pain on shins since the cushion has been packed down into to the bottom of my bag making it rock hard.

This is my bag and I'm talking from experience with my bag. I'm not saying every bag is like this or am I saying that this relates to you. I am saying this relates to me. Just to make everything clear and so you don't "mis-interpret" anything and start yelling lol.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually Carbon thats how most banana bags are, very hard....just not as hard as coke bottles. It's kool that you have one of your own to train on if you so wish. The pain your feeling is the same pain I felt when I first joined Muay Thai but if you keep it up, maybe kicking it with your shin 30 to 50 times each leg every day you would see a change in the feeling you get when you hit the bag within a month. You seem to think it would be bad to do this but the small line of nerves down the ridge of your shin bone isn't used for anything that will be damaged and needed later on in life.

edit: I should also mention that you shouldnt be kicking it full force at first, work your way up to full force over the course of a month.... maybe longer.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ya, I don't kick it full force since I've kicked it at half force and it doesn't hurt real bad just gives a shock to my shin.

I am rather lacking my ability in kicking with my left leg since I am right legged. I am not sure how to correct this except train more with my left leg and try to become more profeccient.

I am looking into a school. In kenpo http://www.kenporocks.com/CFKC_HOMEx.html
is the site where its at and I am pretty sure when I first asked about schools in my area someone reccomended this school in the list of 3 schools he listed.

I am planning to go visit it monday since the times on saturday classes are early in the morning and the ones on sunday run till about 8:00 pm.

I am not sure how good this school is but I will find out when I go there what the atmosphere is like.

OP
K

Kirk

There's a link somewhere on this board of a video of 2 MT
guys fighting in the ring, and one breaks his shin BIG TIME.
Although it's a terrible ending, it would be a great demo to Carbon
of the nature of kick with and blocking with the shins.

Anyone have it posted somewhere??

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ya I've seen that video, and the one were a professional wrestler is jumping from the ropes and snaps his leg in 2. Fun stuff.

Carbon, ya if you keep training your left leg it will catch up to your right in ability. I've even heard of people training thier bad leg so much they become more proficient with thier old "bad leg".

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Latest Discussions