how much can u learn from videos?

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
On a scale of 0 to 9. 0

I give them a little more credit than that. A little. I find them useful for reference from time to time, but I already know what I'm looking for. Example, maybe a particular poomse where I forgot if it's a knife hand or closed fist block or maybe in kumdo, to watch a particular step or motion of a strike. I find it helpful. To use a video as a learning guide...scary. Bad idea, IMHO.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini said:
To use a video as a learning guide...scary. Bad idea, IMHO.

That was the question. That is why I responded that way. I agree with you in that they can be of use, but it is normally AFTER someone has acquired a sufficient level of skill, whatever that level is.

Koryuhoka

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You really have to have a good foundation in the MA's.

Your teacher had to have taught you really well. You have to know about alignment, intention, breath, body mechanics. Only a teacher who knows and teaches these things can instill in you, the student, a good foundation.

Beginners need to stay away from video. Mainly because they are not learning the responsibility it takes to be a holder of the knowledge. You can become a threat to yourself.
icon13.gif

If money is an issue, there has to be someone in your area
icon3.gif
that teaches for free. A youth center or something. It is better for you to be under someone, even if you don't like the art, than to do something you will regret later.

K.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Learning from videos...it has it plus's and negatives.

Can a person fly a 747..from watching videos? Can a person beccome a scuba diver from watching videos? Can a person become a policeman watching videos?

Maybe...but real lessons will always be better....! For learning and remembering our Kata's...this is a great way if it is on a video/disc. for our Kempo techniques...helps build memory.

But to learn to become a Black belt level....there will always be a few people who can do this....but many of you will need assistance.

Therefore...videos are good...has it purpose...and no wrong or right here...because each of us can learn something......Aloha

Latest Discussions