Pros/Cons of Wearing a Watch

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I sometimes wear a metal watch. It's my bling.

I'm expecting more Cons than Pros for wearing one.

What do you all think?

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
i've got six nice watches sitting in a drawer. I don't need them anymore, got my cell phone.

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
G-shock watch takes a beating. I dont mind wearing it but I dont wear it all the time. I am not a fan of metallic watches. I have a 500.00 bulova chronograph that I purchased in 2001 and I have worn it 5 times.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I always wear a watch, even when I'm sleeping. I've got a certain type I like too, they have to be completely stainless steel be automatic and have a black face (easier to read).

OP
N

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Lol. Okay, I get that wearing a watch is a choice...

But what if you're wearing one and find yourself in an altercation?

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Caught in an altercation with nothing but a watch for defence?? Use the laser function, surely?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Caught in an altercation with nothing but a watch for defence?? Use the laser function, surely?
Q seems to have failed to provide that option on my watch. :(

I wear a watch so that Ican tell the time , time different things, find South, and more.

I wear a cheap watch, especially at work so that I don't mind (as much!) when it gets beat up... whatever the reason.

Stickgrappler

Purple Belt
Reaction score
hello:

obviously your watch is not one of your first options for self-defense. with that said, if you are going out to fancy dinner, you may wear your expensive watch to show off, but imagine if it somehow got busted up. depends on how fancy your watch is and expensive it is vs you survived the incident.

i wear a watch to keep track of time for the most part. a few years ago i bought a watchband that had a strap that allowed you to grab to finish off a choke. before using it, i gave it to a friend. totally forgot about it until this thread. "defenseband" i want to say is the name. developed by a GJJ student IIRC.

have to look into it again.

~sg

edit:

http://www.spiderti.com/dband/DBandFrameSet.html < defense band

just2kicku

Black Belt
Reaction score
Pro- if it has a stop watch you can time your 100 yd dash escaping an attacker

Con- if they get you to the ground, they might chop off your hand to get it (that would suck)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I collect, restore, and wear vintage American mechanical wristwatches from the 1940's. I also have a few modern Swiss and German mechanical wristwatches, and a 1953 Omega Seamaster bumper wind. I don't wear them much at the moment, but I go back and forth. I do not own or wear electronic watches.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lol. Okay, I get that wearing a watch is a choice...

But what if you're wearing one and find yourself in an altercation?
Self defense is almost like a come as you are party. I can defend with or without one on. As far as any defense value, I don't think they have any. IMO

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I collect, restore, and wear vintage American mechanical wristwatches from the 1940's. I also have a few modern Swiss and German mechanical wristwatches, and a 1953 Omega Seamaster bumper wind. I don't wear them much at the moment, but I go back and forth. I do not own or wear electronic watches.

I hear that man. Batteries in watches seem pointless to me. I always saw it as a flaw if it needed a battery if there's such an elegant solution as an automatic mechanism. Though I don't know much about the inner workings of it I think it's spectacular work.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When I learned to tell time,
I stopped listening
When I started watching numbers
I could no longer see
The world around.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hear that man. Batteries in watches seem pointless to me. I always saw it as a flaw if it needed a battery if there's such an elegant solution as an automatic mechanism. Though I don't know much about the inner workings of it I think it's spectacular work.

I was green before I knew what it was...

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Pro: You'll always know what time it is.

Con: You'll always know what time it is.

Not that I have a big aversion to punctuality (don't confirm that with my mother!) but I've found that when I always know what time it is I can never really relax. As a result I've purchased and lost well over a dozen nice watches over the years because I never want to wear them. The latest casualty was a $10 thingie with a stopwatch function that I bought for the purpose of dog training. I even lost that one. Before I managed to teach Fido what he needed to know. :uhyeah: So I guess that would be two votes against watches from the both of us.

Latest Discussions