Pros/Cons of Wearing a Watch

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pro: You will never be late for a meeting.

Con: Forgetting to transfer your drink to your right hand when someone asks what time it is. Especially when you've been drinking. I've gotten several drunk people with this.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't like wearing watches, or bracelets for that matter. I tell time on my . One thing I have noticed is that a solid bangle bracelet (whether or not the bangle has a watch embedded) can help prevent someone making a firm grip on the wrist.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't wear any jewelry. Just isn't comfortable for me. I wear a watch on a dinky carabiner that hangs from my belt loop.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One thing I've discovered is if you have a strap watch, leather or cloth and you to a front two-knuckle punch at full speed, you can cause the watch to come off one of its hinges...

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sometimes wear a metal watch. It's my bling.

I'm expecting more Cons than Pros for wearing one.

What do you all think?

Well, a Rolex-and a few other things that made my young *** seem to be a "mark"-got me mugged back in NY, a long time ago-so much for the benefits of bling.

Still wear a watch, though-in fact, I have quite a few, including that particular Rolex. In my job, knowing what time it is is important-it's also especially important when I'm sailing (for any kind of distance, anyway). Most of the time, a watch isn't much of a liability, even a Rolex-at least, from a martial standpoint, it's less of a liability than wearing a three-piece suit, or other restrictive clothing-or footwear. The watch isn't going to jam you up, or keep you from executing techniques-worst that is going to happen is it gets broken.

I'd be more concerned about the liabilities of a necktie. :lol:

Anyway, I got one of these as a gift. . I've played around with it some-it works, but it's kind of silly: in almost all the situations I could come up with using it in, the arm wearing the wristband will do just as well or beter, and doesn't require any manipulation with my other hand-fine motor skills like that don't really have much place in self-defense.

But I guess you could make a weapon of a watch, just as you could a belt, or a necktie, or a Mont Blanc pen......

OP
N

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Digital or analog? Just kidding.

Taking wrist control can be very advantageous. And wearing a watch might prove detrimental to its wearer in a grappling situation.

I just wanted to get some insight from the other arts about wearing a watch. Any experiences?