Properly identify what you teach and learn.

GreenieMeanie

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would be careful with B. and C.

B. Is highly contextualized depending on where you are on the planet. Also I would never say never.

C. Is simply not the case. Regardless lots of specifics to consider here depending on the situation.
Yes, there is variability in abduction scenarios. The principle ultimately, is that if you're taken to the secondary location, your chances of escape diminish dramatically.

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, there is variability in abduction scenarios. The principle ultimately, is that if you're taken to the secondary location, your chances of escape diminish dramatically.
Again yes. But that is based on your geographical location. Depending on the motivation for the abduction.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is there any evidence to back this up either way?

GreenieMeanie

Black Belt
Reaction score
Is there any evidence to back this up either way?
You can't even properly respond to my last post, or to other posts where I've basically said the same thing to you ad nauseum.

You are intellectually dishonest, argumentative, and want to die on the "MMA or bah" hill.

@Jared Traveler may or may not want to indulge in this, but I'm not going to waste anymore time with you discussing this subject.

TularosaKungFu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Again, I ask why - for you - this is important. To me, the distinction of these terms is unimportant. What's important is that those of us teaching know (and are honest with ourselves and our students) what we are teaching, and what the focus of that training is. And that students know what they are training in. Which words are used to convey that isn't important, so getting personal definitions for these terms isn't, either - unless you use them to define what you do.
You just used a buncha more words to say what the op said to begin with.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The average person doesn’t even know how to indentify and categorize pre-predation behaviors in the moment.
Let me first preface this by saying that I think this likely a true statement. But the question is, how do you know? Maybe it's not true and both you and I are only assuming it's true? There's been a vastly growing interest in personal defense and responsibility since the beginning of the COVID lockdowns and I've seem a ton of new material, from written to video, on pre-attack indicators, heightened awareness, Cooper's color codes, and all the related material. Heck, I even wrote some myself a bit back. It seems likely that the general public is more aware now than they ever were before. The question then would be, how much of the general public and how much more aware?

Think of it like grappling. 30 years ago, fighters were unlikely to have much grappling skills. Sure there was the odd Judoka or fella with a HS/Collegiate wrestling background. But most? Nah. Now getting some wrestling, Judo, or (especially) BJJ is almost de rigeur. There are lots of other things about the personal defense and responsibility landscape that, likewise, have changed.

We need to be careful about our assumptions.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

GreenieMeanie

Black Belt
Reaction score
Let me first preface this by saying that I think this likely a true statement. But the question is, how do you know? Maybe it's not true and both you and I are only assuming it's true? There's been a vastly growing interest in personal defense and responsibility since the beginning of the COVID lockdowns and I've seem a ton of new material, from written to video, on pre-attack indicators, heightened awareness, Cooper's color codes, and all the related material. Heck, I even wrote some myself a bit back. It seems likely that the general public is more aware now than they ever were before. The question then would be, how much of the general public and how much more aware?

Think of it like grappling. 30 years ago, fighters were unlikely to have much grappling skills. Sure there was the odd Judoka or fella with a HS/Collegiate wrestling background. But most? Nah. Now getting some wrestling, Judo, or (especially) BJJ is almost de rigeur. There are lots of other things about the personal defense and responsibility landscape that, likewise, have changed.

We need to be careful about our assumptions.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
It may be growing, I couldn't speak to that--but I have been aware, that people typically don't know what the hell I'm talking about it, when referencing it, not even practitioners.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Right, while any idiot can just give up his car, there can be a lot more to it than that. Again, different skill set.
Any “idiot” can give up his car? Is this really how you view it? Because if you are being hijacked by three fellows with AK-47s and all they want is to take your car, then the only intelligent thing to do is to give up the car.

GreenieMeanie

Black Belt
Reaction score
Any “idiot” can give up his car? Is this really how you view it? Because if you are being hijacked by three fellows with AK-47s and all they want is to take your car, then the only intelligent thing to do is to give up the car.
Not necessarily.

If you're in tribal country of Afghanistan as the member of a plain-clothes team, you're heavily armed, have drone support--and the three fellows are in your way....other options may be more conducive to mission success.

Context matters.

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Respectfully, you are missing the forest because of the tree my friend.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not necessarily.

If you're in tribal country of Afghanistan as the member of a plain-clothes team, you're heavily armed, have drone support--and the three fellows are in your way....other options may be more conducive to mission success.

Context matters.
Of course context matters. But none was given in that instance. So it got distilled down to “any idiot can simply give up their car.”

That isn’t idiotic.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Now I'm the one who doesn't understand?
If you don’t want to be misunderstood, then you ought to be more careful with your language. Distilling down a willingness to give up a car to armed assailants as idiotic, when you feel there is more to it than that, is a failure to communicate if you don’t give the additional context.

Communication isn’t what you think you said. It is what the other party perceived.

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you don’t want to be misunderstood, then you ought to be more careful with your language. Distilling down a willingness to give up a car to armed assailants as idiotic, when you feel there is more to it than that, is a failure to communicate if you don’t give the additional context.

Communication isn’t what you think you said. It is what the other party perceived.
What in the world are you talking about? You are way off the path my friend.

Latest Discussions