Promoting seniors?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm showing my ignorance.....I repeat what I was handed down....I guess the intent was for inter-organizational control...
If I was running a school as 2nd and I had somebody going for 2nd they would have to be reviewed by the next level....In the old USSD of Fred's that really didn't matter because he ran everything.....It was one of those Urban-Legends that prevailed....

I wouldn't say you're showing ignorance. I've heard of the same thing. The only difference is that its 2 degrees above, not one. In other words, if someone is testing for 2nd, the person testing them had to be at least 4th.

Mike

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree exactly. I have never heard of this happening, it is just my own idea but... I think it would be cool if at levels above master, instead of the master actually testing to promote, a few students of his of varying levels are looked at. Like his most senior student, a new black belt, and a couple color belts. Check out those students' understanding of the art, their technique, their respect and etiquette, etc and base the master's ability from these students. We always say that a student is a reflexion of the master, and it would really show how the master has really contributed to the art, how their teaching is, etc.

I haven't really thought this through, but it seems like a cool idea as I type it here. What do you think?

I have a parallel that might help support this idea. When I was made teacher of the year (public ed), as part of the process we were asked to get letters of recommendation from three people familiar with our abilities. Well, none of my fellow teachers had the time to be in my classroom (hah!). The principal was AWOL most of the time--political stuff to do and all that.

So, I thought, what the hey, this is my chance to practice my beliefs: I put it out to the class, and said if anyone wants to... but I wouldn't bring it up again. Long story short...got more than three letters. Punctuation wasn't spot on, and some of syntax was, well, you know. But I got pretty misty eyed reading those letters. That was my real reward. And the county went for it, since I 'won'. But they changed the rules after that so no one could do it again. :wink2:

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, In the martial art world there are some agreement on how someone should be promoted (has to be a least 2nd degrees or more to promote someone to 1st degree). BUT just a line of thought to follow.

THERE ARE NO RULES FOR PROMOTIONS, RANKS,TITLES.. and anyone can call themselves WHAT EVER THEY WANT.

In your own organzitions there maybe some rules or guide lines.

Like any business...each can promote who they want, as the Sensi is concern..he can call himself anything he wants too!

There is a kind of understanding of how/who can be call Grand Master,Professor,10th Degree...and so on....(NO official rules here too).

Our own backgrounds does effect how we feel about certain people who call themselves (Master,Professors and etc.)...but our own personal feeling only. These are just titles (some earn..some taken..some NOT sure: WHY? or HOW? it is gotton).

If your last name is Master (than we can call you a master!
If your last name is Professor (than we can call you Professor)
If you name is 10th Degree (than we can call you a 10th Degree)

My name is Still Learning.....can me Still? .........Aloha

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Basic guidelines for promoting someone to a senior rank.
They,
1) drool - one side only,
2) walk into walls,
3) have to be changed once a day,
4) fold themselves into their bra's,
5) need a mirror to see their "lil buddy",
6) release gas at meal time,
7) can remove both upper and lower teeth,
8) stare at the under 60 year olds and marvel,
:bow:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS

Moderation note:

Please keep the conversation polite and respectful.

G Ketchmark / shesulsa
MT Assistant Administrator

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As far as I know, if you are recommended to test for senior rank by your Instructor (based on your overall credit to Tae Kwon Do, not on how many medals you've won), you go before the testing board at the Kukkiwon. This Board is composed of very senior (8th-9th Dan) members of the WTF. They can promote you to 8th or 9th Dan. Obviously an 8th Dan cannot promote a fellow 8th dan to 9th Dan. Only a 9th Dan can do that. Basically they say "your credibility in Tae Kwon Do justifies being promoted to our ranks".