Title Unknown

D

Disco

I could'nt think of what to call this thread. Mabey Baffling Budo!

First off, let me preface buy saying that the following comments are not meant to impune an individuals physical martial arts capabilities. What they call into question is - well, I'll let the people who read this and wish to comment tell me what's called into question.

First Inquiry: How many years of training does/would it take to achieve 6th Dan or above in your chosen discipline?

Second Inquiry: How many high Dan rankings (6th and above) do you think is possible for one person to acquire legitimately?

Third Inquiry: This is were your opinion on what's called into question comes in.
A person lists 6 major styles with ranks at 6th and above. The styles are; Hapkido 6th, Judo 8th, Ju Jitsu 8th, Tang Soo Do 6th, TaeKwonDo 6th and Yudo 9th. What's your viewpoints?
:asian:

OP
K

Kimpatsu

Originally posted by Disco
First Inquiry: How many years of training does/would it take to achieve 6th Dan or above in your chosen discipline?
In Japan, at least 12 years. Outside Japan, minimum 20 years.
Second Inquiry: How many high Dan rankings (6th and above) do you think is possible for one person to acquire legitimately?
One, as a rule.
Third Inquiry: This is were your opinion on what's called into question comes in.
A person lists 6 major styles with ranks at 6th and above. The styles are; Hapkido 6th, Judo 8th, Ju Jitsu 8th, Tang Soo Do 6th, TaeKwonDo 6th and Yudo 9th. What's your viewpoints?
Utter rubbish; does this person also call themselves "soke"?

OP
M

MountainSage

as to the first, In the US it would take about 24 years +; in Korea, about 20.
as to the second, It would depend on which arts. (see answer to third question).
as to third question, It is possible, for a person to hold high master ranking in Taekwondo and hapkido because they are usually taught together and are complementary. This is a very common situation. Tang Soo do is very similar to taekwondo, so it is possible, but very unlikely to achieve a mster rank with the other two. Yudo is just the Korean spelling of Judo, their the same thing. I believe, the same international ranking organization and pretty much similar national organizations. So, it is possible, but not likely to be true.

Mountian Sage

OP
D

Disco

Yes, some disciplines such as TKD & HKD are taught together. The judo and yudo are the same. TSD has a base connection to TKD and I guess JuJitsu can be tied in with aspects of HKD. But all these styles have their own governing bodies and schools that teach just that discipline. So would it be a fair assumption to say that ranking in all these styles was actually achieved via the good old boy network, especially if the prime discipline studied was judo/yudo? Or do you think it would be possible for a person to actually have studied and earned rank in each discipline?

OP
M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by nightingale8472
nobody's got that much time to be that good in that many arts.

Doesnt take that long to print off that many certificates does it? ;)

OP
D

Disco

Thanks for the input guy's. Just a little subterfuge on my part. The cursory consensus is that the person in question claiming all these ranks surely must be, less than honest? Would you change your viewpoint if the party in question was considered very legit within the Martial Arts world?

What all this is leading up to is my own personal viewpoint on the status of martial arts in general and korean arts specifically. I have seen several well known people (sanctioned by Korean governing bodies), list multiple high Dan rankings, start their own disciplines, multiple membership organizations etc. As I stated prior. I am not trying to impune their physical capabilities with their prime discipline. What I have a hard time accepting is that these people seem to be above reproach with regards to the general martial arts community. I ask myself this question. Why represent a major governing body and at the same time establish personal venues for the same discipline(s). To me the answer is obvious, MONEY! Does this make them a fraud? Perhaps in some peoples eyes. Does this make them unethical? Again, perhaps yes in some peoples eyes. The one thing that I have found out during my journey in the arts, is that money opens the doors and allows you access to the inner circle. Where does that leave the majority of us that either can't afford the price of membership or we just flat refuse to pay for acceptance?

On a side note, another question. What would you be willing to pay for a seminar from the head of an organization? I'm not talking about a celebrity status MA's, like Chuck Norris or Bill Wallace.

Thanks for your indulgence.:asian:

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I could'nt think of what to call this thread. Mabey Baffling Budo!

First off, let me preface buy saying that the following comments are not meant to impune an individuals physical martial arts capabilities. What they call into question is - well, I'll let the people who read this and wish to comment tell me what's called into question.

1 I would say about 20years on average
2 unless they are immediately related or honorary just 1
3 probably bull _hi_!

TKD, hapkido maybe even tang soo do (all related )
yudo and judo ( related )
ju jitsu?
BUT ALL 6 ????????:confused: :confused:

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
#1. About 18 to 20 years. 16 yrs should be the shortest timeframe.

#2 If some are related or honorary 3 or 4. Otherwise, 2 within a lifetime: figuring 18-20 years per system.

#3. Probably Bull****

:cool:

jkn75

Blue Belt
Reaction score
On a side note, another question. What would you be willing to pay for a seminar from the head of an organization? I'm not talking about a celebrity status MA's, like Chuck Norris or Bill Wallace. [/B]

Every summer Kuk Sah Nim, Suh In Hyuk tours the main Kuk Sool Won schools throughout the country. He brings a Master and a couple of instructors and offers a seminar. The cost is $35 but you have to be a Kuk Sool student.

OP
K

Kimpatsu

Pay me, and I'll organise the cookout.:popcorn:

jkn75

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Not only high dans, he has a BA, a masters degree and a JD. Wow.

OP
K

Kimpatsu

Originally posted by jkn75
Not only high dans, he has a BA, a masters degree and a JD. Wow.
I have a BA and two master degrees.
I'm still only 3 dan, though.