Priorities: Chick-Fil-A, Starbucks, & the Economy

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Two questions:

1. What is 'open carry'?
2. I don't suppose 'closed on Sundays' would have anything to do with states that have mandatory time and half pay on Sundays? ( I think MA is one of them. )

I don't have any problem boycotting something for polical purposes. For example, potatos from Idaho. And I love Menino for having the nuts to speak up, as I was unaware of the controversy until he did so.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don't remember off the top of my head which one was pegged 'hate'. Don't bookmark everything I read I'm afraid. But to me "I dont approve" is free speech. $5M is a lot of coin to toss at a cause to deny people rights. I'd classify that much of a push 'hate'.
YMMV.

ok, back to a disaster. >_<

Sorry you're having a disaster. Feel free to ignore this until you can or want to respond.

You call it denying others their rights. Others do not see it that way. Certainly if they did and they donated money specifically to do that, I'd be more able to see your point of view.

To make myself clear, I don't agree with the CEO of C-F-L. Any objections I might have to same-sex marriage are based on a very different set of beliefs and not religious. But he's got a right to believe what he wants; he's got a right to put his money towards groups that work to make laws that reflect his beliefs. I don't want him to succeed, but I don't mistake his beliefs for hatred. If I did, Soros would be a 'hater' for giving money to liberal causes, including anti-gun legislation. Everyone who gives large money to groups that work for things I consider a right would be 'haters'. Sorry, I just don't extend the use of that term to such a large extent.

You know my views on same-sex marriage. Am I a hater? Rosanne Barr thinks I should get cancer. Who's the hater?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two questions:

1. What is 'open carry'?

Yeah. You live in Massachussetsstan, all right. :lol:

"Open carry" is...well, open carry. If you can see the pistol, it's not concealed-it's "open carry." New Mexico is an open carry state-anyone can strap one on and walk around with it, as long as they don't walk into a bank or a place where alcohol is served.

Including Starbuck's.

2. I don't suppose 'closed on Sundays' would have anything to do with states that have mandatory time and half pay on Sundays? ( I think MA is one of them. )

No-it's stated by both companies as a "family/Chrisitian values" policy, and is in effect in states that don't have an overtime pay for Sundays law.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I thought 'open carry' referred to guns, but wasn't sure if it was meant to apply to alcohol in the discussion. Restaurant talk, and all. :)

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I thought the open carry applied to beer. Because you've got to have some beer with that fried chicken.

I boycott C F L because I can get better tasting chicken that doesn't give me the runs elsewhere.

While I do enjoy the blondes at Starbucks, I don't go there because I don't drink coffee.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Let's contrast this with how another deeply religious business leader handles "gay ickiness":

"Our church is very much opposed to alcohol and we&#8217;re probably one of the biggest sales engines of liquor in the United States. I don&#8217;t drink. We serve a lot of liquor. You&#8217;re in business. You&#8217;ve got to make money," he said. "We have to appeal to the masses out there, no matter what their beliefs are."

As a result, when his church actively campaigned against same-sex marriage in California, neither Marriott nor the hotel chain donated any money to the cause. Instead, he stepped into the drama by publicly reinforcing his company&#8217;s commitment to gay rights through domestic partners benefits and services aimed at gay couples.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am continually amused by the lack of tolerance exhibited by those who screech loudest about tolerance...

"You're intolerant of my intolerance!" Worst. Argument. Ever.

imagejpeg

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"You're intolerant of my intolerance!" Worst. Argument. Ever.

imagejpeg

Or from another point of View:

"OMG! These Morons are actually saying we should Boycott Oreo for having a Rainbow Cookie pic and saying they support Gays... what a bunch of Idiots. Whats that? Chick Fil A doesn't support Gays? BOYCOTT CHICK FIL A!"

Same Same, IMO...

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And I get what Don was saying, despite the Rhetoric that was used to respond to him:

"You really should be tolerant of other peoples beliefs, opinions and lifestyles. UNLESS IT'T NOT THE ONES WE AGREE WITH THEN YOU SUCK!"

Pretty common on all ends of the spectrum.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
"You really should be tolerant of other peoples beliefs, opinions and lifestyles. UNLESS IT'T NOT THE ONES WE AGREE WITH THEN YOU SUCK!".

This is obvious nonsense if you subject it to even a moment's critical thought. If we are to follow this "argument" to it's logical conclusion, then it would be hypocritical for one preaching acceptance and tolerance to oppose ANYTHING. Nazis? Child abusers? Spousal abusers? UFO conspiracists? Anti-vaccination idiots? Anything! "You shouldn't slap around your wife. " "Intolerant hypocrite LOL."

Every advocate of tolerance I have EVER heard does not do so for everything uncritically. You and Don are simply knocking down straw men.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah ok, you can take anything to extremes, and in that case you are right... HOWEVER, and I'm sure you know this even if you don't want to admit it because it goes against your actual beliefs, We are not talking about something unreasonable like tolerating other people beating Gays with a Baseball bat here. We're talking about telling a Religion that they MUST be tolerant of Gay Lifestyle, while at the same time refusing to be Tolerant of their personal Religious beliefs not to support said lifestyle: Right back to my specific Example of Oreos vs Chick Fil A.

Aka "I don't agree with it so they don't have the right to do it."

See, maybe I am the lunatic here, but I Support same sex marriage. I don't care if you are Gay, Straight, Bi, or Like Sheep (I really don't care), BUT if confronted by someone of a different mindset, I wouldn't be like "OMG HOW DARE YOU! I HATE YOU AND EVERYTHING YOU STAND FOR!" like so much of the crap I am seeing directed at Chick-Fil-a. Guess what? They are entitled to their beliefs too, EVEN IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT. I don't agree with them. I might debate the issue with them... but I wouldn't resort to threats, name calling and a bunch of this other B.S.

And, BTW, if my argument was a Straw man, you lose, because you brought up Nazis. :p

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I might debate the issue with them... but I wouldn't resort to threats, name calling and a bunch of this other B.S.

^ Usually. Sometimes I lose my temper. I like to call people names. They usually start with a "C" end in "Bag" and are universally hated by women. So take that for what it's worth. I'm human. Sue me.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is obvious nonsense if you subject it to even a moment's critical thought. If we are to follow this "argument" to it's logical conclusion, then it would be hypocritical for one preaching acceptance and tolerance to oppose ANYTHING. Nazis? Child abusers? Spousal abusers? UFO conspiracists? Anti-vaccination idiots? Anything! "You shouldn't slap around your wife. " "Intolerant hypocrite LOL."

Every advocate of tolerance I have EVER heard does not do so for everything uncritically. You and Don are simply knocking down straw men.

Isn't this a "Godwin's Law Lite"?

Is CFA suggesting that we "ultimate solution" all homosexuals?

Wo Fat

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Before the point gets lost ...

The councilman (in Chicago) in charge of the permit that CFA actually wants, is on record as saying that he has no problem with CFA's "speech" in regard to gay rights. The permit application is now under scrutiny because of the possibility that CFA might put action to their beliefs. And it makes sense.

If CFA does not believe in gay marriage, fine. But is it unreasonable to presume that they don't believe in openly gay managers or owners?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If CFA does not believe in gay marriage, fine. But is it unreasonable to presume that they don't believe in openly gay managers or owners?

Nope. Its a fair presumption, and if they act upon it, they are, I believe, breaking the law.

I don't know if I agree with denying them a permit in case they MIGHT do it. Now, if they have a demonstrated history of doing so, that is another matter.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I still don't get why everyone needs to agree with everyone. Why can't people dislike things we have gotten so PC you can't speak your mind anymore . People hate me just because of the uniform I wear to work but I don't care if your gay get thicker skin why care what others think its your life be happy. At least chick fila let's you know how they feel up front so you can choose to go there or not. That's better then giving money to someone that's smiles to your face and flips you off when you turn your back.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
I still don't get why everyone needs to agree with everyone. Why can't people dislike things we have gotten so PC you can't speak your mind anymore . People hate me just because of the uniform I wear to work but I don't care if your gay get thicker skin why care what others think its your life be happy. At least chick fila let's you know how they feel up front so you can choose to go there or not. That's better then giving money to someone that's smiles to your face and flips you off when you turn your back.

No one has taken anyone's right to speak their mind away. No one has said everyone needs to agree with anyone.

The CEO of Chick-Fil-A has spoken his mind-the consequences are that other people's opinion's differ, and they can express them as well-and with their wallets. They can also express it by asking others to do so.

Can't really have one without the other.

Latest Discussions