Priorities: Chick-Fil-A, Starbucks, & the Economy

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
In a free society, you can do business with whomever you choose. That is, unless there's a monopoly, but that's another topic.

If you want to boycott Chick-Fil-A because the CEO opposes gay marriage go ahead.

If you want to boycott Starbucks because the CEO supports gay marriage go ahead.

What's wrong is to try and legislate or dictate where these companies can or can not do business based soley on the values of their CEOs.

These companies are not denying service to anyone nor discriminating against anyone in any way. As of today, it's still okay to have an opinion in this country. The "Thought Police" have not quite been established as of yet.

Personally, I'm going to eat Chick-Fil-A and drink Starbucks coffee because I like their products.

Not only that, but in case you haven't noticed, the US economy is in the proverbial toilet. Personally, I think it's more important to do my part to help businesses than to hurt them further.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't buy at Starbucks; but only because I don't like their coffee.

I agree with your statements. People can and should boycott whatever business they want if it so moves them. Businesses that engage in public political statements bring that on themselves; no matter what side. It's their business if they want to engage in that arena; it's the public's business if they choose to make buying decisions based on those statements. All good.

I will note that I chose to disassociate myself from a FB friend yesterday because they reposted a comment by Roseanne Barr stating that anyone who eats at Chick-Fil-A should get cancer. I found that offensive in the extreme. And I'm not playing favorites here; I also hated it years ago when people would say that gay people deserved to get AIDS. Horrible, horrible, things to say or believe, and again, I don't care on which side of the political spectrum it comes from.

There are no Chick-Fil-A restaurants around here that I'm aware of - they were a NC thing as I recall. I remember that they were closed on Sundays because the CEO believed that employees should be in church and home with their families on the 'Day of Rest'. Hey, whatever.

I choose not to boycott Chick-Fil-A in principle or in fact, and that's got to be OK for me to do. Just as it has to be OK for people to choose to drink coffee at Starbucks regardless of their political stances.

I refuse to let my life be ruled by the politics of the businesses that I might purchase goods or services from. If their stance bothers me enough to make such a choice, that's my right. And if it doesn't bother me enough to make such a choice, that's my right too.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm boycotting Chick-fil-a, and Hobby Lobby not because of the 'closed on Sundays' thing, but the donations and associations with hate groups.
I'm increasing my support for Amazon, Starbucks and yes even Microsoft due to their support of equality.
My right to do so. Your right to do otherwise.

Are there other issues to worry about? Sure, and I do. But I can worry about more than 1 thing at a time.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm boycotting Chick-fil-a, and Hobby Lobby not because of the 'closed on Sundays' thing, but the donations and associations with hate groups.
I'm increasing my support for Amazon, Starbucks and yes even Microsoft due to their support of equality.
My right to do so. Your right to do otherwise.

Are there other issues to worry about? Sure, and I do. But I can worry about more than 1 thing at a time.

I fully support your right to do so. I don't agree with your choices. But life goes on.

Interestingly, Starbucks, whilst infuriating some with their stance on same-sex marriage, infuriates some of those who support that stance by allowing open carry in Starbucks stores in states that allow open carry. Seems no matter what gets your undies in a twist, Starbucks has a political statements you'll like and one you won't like. Quite humorous, actually.

I just don't like their crappy coffee. Since I don't drink my coffee flavored, I know how truly repulsive it is.

EDIT: And I really dislike the term 'hate group' being applied to anything anyone doesn't personally like. It actually cheapens the meaning of the word 'hate'. A neo-Nazi group is a 'hate group'. A group that opposes same-sex marriage (or endorses it) is not a hate group. That's just nonsense, polarizing nonsense.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I really like the food and service at Chik-fil-a, but I don't want my money going to support hate. So I will no longer spend my money there. I don't have a problem with the owner's Christianity and I think him closing on Sundays is kind of refreshing. He is putting his religious beliefs before profit. The groups that he supports though i can't ignore. I don't believe Boston's mayor is correct in saying Chic-fil-a has no place in the city. That really isn't up to him...or shouldn't be.

I normally don't drink cofee, and Starbucks is too expensive when I do, so that's a moot point.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I really like the food and service at Chik-fil-a, but I don't want my money going to support a cause I do not support.

There, fixed that for ya. Just because you do not agree with it does not make it a 'hate group'.

So I will no longer spend my money there. I don't have a problem with the owner's Christianity and I think him closing on Sundays is kind of refreshing. He is putting his religious beliefs before profit. The groups that he supports though i can't ignore. I don't believe Boston's mayor is correct in saying Chic-fil-a has no place in the city. That really isn't up to him...or shouldn't be.

I agree with you there.

I normally don't drink cofee, and Starbucks is too expensive when I do, so that's a moot point.

Quite reasonable. But Starbucks is a hate group. They support open carry, after all. And if you like open carry, then they're a hate group because they support same-sex marriage. Whichever position you take, they're a hate group for the other reason. See how that works? The term 'hate group' is really inappropriate in these cases, I feel.

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
Quite reasonable. But Starbucks is a hate group. They support open carry, after all. And if you like open carry, then they're a hate group because they support same-sex marriage. Whichever position you take, they're a hate group for the other reason. See how that works? The term 'hate group' is really inappropriate in these cases, I feel.

I think that is well spoken. It seems like anytime anyone says something that someone else doesn't like it becomes "hate speech" or the belong to a "hate group". Obviously both sides have a strong set of beliefs but, just because they don't agree doesn't mean that they are guilty of "hate". They just disagree. Last I time I check this was still the USA (even though that doesn't seem to mean much anymore) and people are still "allowed" to have their own beliefs. Do I agree with all of them. Resoundingly, NO! I respect that they have their own beliefs but do not agree so I guess that I must "hate" them? Hate is a strong emotional word that IMO, is used way out of context in many situations.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think that is well spoken. It seems like anytime anyone says something that someone else doesn't like it becomes "hate speech" or the belong to a "hate group". Obviously both sides have a strong set of beliefs but, just because they don't agree doesn't mean that they are guilty of "hate". They just disagree. Last I time I check this was still the USA (even though that doesn't seem to mean much anymore) and people are still "allowed" to have their own beliefs. Do I agree with all of them. Resoundingly, NO! I respect that they have their own beliefs but do not agree so I guess that I must "hate" them? Hate is a strong emotional word that IMO, is used way out of context in many situations.

Its part of the political game....you hope to either gain supporters or at least suppress the less radical opponents to your belief by labeling any opposition as "hate".

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know the CEO's full views but if they fall along the line of some Christians, "Hate the sin, love the sinner," and disagree over changing the definition of marriage, then technically, they aren't a hate group, since they don't hate anyone and simply disagree with some peoples definition of marriage.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Chick fila yummy
Starbucks overpriced crap DD coffee is better
As to the rest of that mess blah blah blah same old junk every 4 years

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
Chick fila yummy
Starbucks overpriced crap DD coffee is better
As to the rest of that mess blah blah blah same old junk every 4 years

Unfortunately, I see this same old junk happen more often than every 4 years. ONe of the major reasons I haven't had TV service for the over a decade. I was just plain running out of tall boots every time I turned the TV on.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I boycott Chick-Fil-A because I don't like their food. I boycott Starbucks because I don't like coffee.
I am continually amused by the lack of tolerance exhibited by those who screech loudest about tolerance...

Wo Fat

Purple Belt
Reaction score
While I do patronize the local Chick-Fil-A--my son also works there--I do NOT agree with their attitudes toward gay and lesbian Americans.

Sure, it's their 1st Amendment right to speak out against gay Americans. But at some point, they'll have to come out from behind the 1st Amendment and continue to do business. And that's where cities like Chicago, Boston and San Francisco are right to question whether or not Chick-Fil-A's "beliefs" translate to action. Does Chick-Fil-A have any owners or general managers who are openly gay or lesbian? If not, it doesn't necessarily mean that they employ anti-gay hiring policies. But by virtue of their public views, it's now a fair question to ask -- especially by local governments who have non-discriminatory requirements.

If Chick-Fil-A does have gay and lesbian managers and owners, I hope they are allowed step forward soon and put this to rest. There are thousands of customers who don't like being caught in the middle, and would rather go back to enjoying the food and great service that the restaurants offer.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmmm...yes chicago should question beliefs, for example the Nation of Islam is headquartered here, you know, the Louis Farakhan's organization. Something tells me that if the CEO of Chick Fil A is a christian who might believe in hating the sin but loving the sinner, the Nation of Islam hates the sin and the sinner. Sooo...should chicago also ban any busines owned by members of the Nation of Islam? Is that a fair question to ask the Nation of Islam?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Hmmm...yes chicago should question beliefs, for example the Nation of Islam is headquartered here, you know, the Louis Farakhan's organization. Something tells me that if the CEO of Chick Fil A is a christian who might believe in hating the sin but loving the sinner, the Nation of Islam hates the sin and the sinner. Sooo...should chicago also ban any busines owned by members of the Nation of Islam? Is that a fair question to ask the Nation of Islam?

Go Yankees!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From what I've read, Chick-Fil-A doesn't allow gays to move up in the company, and forbids them from owning franchises. There's an in depth interrogation as part of the franchising. It's a Christians Only club, and you must meet with the owners views. I spoke with a few people while I was in Austin last year about possible franchises and was told point blank that I wouldn't be welcome buying in. One of the local restaurants got into deep crap because they opened on Sundays. Owners were down and literally shut the place down and threw customers out according to the person I spoke to. Take it with a grain of salt, I got it 2nd or 3rd hand. I was well aware of Hobby Lobby's Christian overtone, and have -0- problem with it. I thought the 'closed on sunday' idea a nice one to be blunt. But again, that's another chain with ties to discriminatory organizations, with a possible connection to the WBC (unproven, though there are real estate transactions I saw that connect the 2). I won't do business with them as a result.

Also, Some of the groups the Chick-Fil-A owner supports are classified as 'hate' groups....I chose my words carefully Bill. Just to be clear.

As to Starbucks and open-carry, ok with me. I agree, their coffees a bit....ugh, but I like their blonde roast. I usually buy chai and tea though. My main coffee comes from Wegmans.

Wo Fat

Purple Belt
Reaction score
From what I've read, Chick-Fil-A doesn't allow gays to move up in the company, and forbids them from owning franchises. There's an in depth interrogation as part of the franchising. It's a Christians Only club, and you must meet with the owners views. I spoke with a few people while I was in Austin last year about possible franchises and was told point blank that I wouldn't be welcome buying in.

If true, that's my concern. And based on Dan Cathy's comments, it's believable.

I don't or won't defend secret policies of exclusion or discrimination. At the same time, all they had to do was keep quiet. The "good" thing about hatred is that it always eventually outs itself.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From what I've read, Chick-Fil-A doesn't allow gays to move up in the company, and forbids them from owning franchises.

I'd like to know more about this - certainly not something I was aware of.

Also, Some of the groups the Chick-Fil-A owner supports are classified as 'hate' groups....I chose my words carefully Bill. Just to be clear.

As to Starbucks and open-carry, ok with me. I agree, their coffees a bit....ugh, but I like their blonde roast. I usually buy chai and tea though. My main coffee comes from Wegmans.

What groups does C-F-A's owner support that are classified as 'hate groups'? Again, I am ignorant of this. I see by Wikipedia (I never bothered looking into it until now) that they support Focus on the Family - not a group I'm interested in, but I don't know that they could be classified a 'hate group'.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd like to know more about this - certainly not something I was aware of.

Quick snagging some links Bill. Have a crisis I'm dealing with right now, but trying to put something in. I don't have the exact link to the lawsuit I saw.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...l-a-sues-gender-discrimination_n_1709645.html

I'll counter my own claim as well
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...police-sergeant-deep-chicago-roots-restaurant
http://www.11alive.com/news/article...-Fil-A-distances-itself-from-Cathys-gay-views

What groups does C-F-A's owner support that are classified as 'hate groups'? Again, I am ignorant of this. I see by Wikipedia (I never bothered looking into it until now) that they support Focus on the Family - not a group I'm interested in, but I don't know that they could be classified a 'hate group'.

Among the many groups to receive donations through Chick-fil-A's WinShape Foundation, which was created by Chick-fil-A founder and chairman S. Truett Cathy in 1984, were the Marriage & Family Foundation ($1,188,380), Exodus International ($1,000) and the Family Research Council (also $1,000), Equality Matters reported.
Meanwhile, The New Civil Rights Movement's David Badash presents an even more disturbing figure: that Chick-fil-A has donated an estimated $5 million to anti-gay organizations and hate groups between 2003 and 2010. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/02/chick-fil-a-anti-gay-group-donations-_n_1644609.html

See also http://www.advocate.com/business/2012/07/02/chick-fil-donates-2-mil-antigay-groups
Don't remember off the top of my head which one was pegged 'hate'. Don't bookmark everything I read I'm afraid. But to me "I dont approve" is free speech. $5M is a lot of coin to toss at a cause to deny people rights. I'd classify that much of a push 'hate'.
YMMV.

ok, back to a disaster. >_<

Latest Discussions