Pressure points?

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Now, that said, "pressure points" (I'm not personally fond of that term) do work. Not all of them work as advertised, and not all of them work on all people, but they certainly exist. I prefer to think of them as "vulnerable points," and that includes all kinds of biological structures that are particularly vulnerable to negative stimuli.
There are guys out there making a lot of money peddling stuff that looks good but may not be all that practical. I attended on seminar where the 'master' kept pulling me out to demonstrate. Nothing he tried did what he expected it to do and he was hitting hard. He then labeled me a 'non- responder'. As a result I would never use or teach the use of strikes to those points. Against a 'non-responder' with a weapon you get one shot at it. If you are relying on a point that may or may not work the way you intended then you are neck deep in it.

In Okinawa I tried to learn something of kyusho from the top guys we were training with. They denied knowledge of it although I would be almost certain they were training kyusho at their level. It wasn't until I met Hokama Sensei that anyone would talk about it.

Thanks for the link to your friends article. It was very interesting.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge, there have been no conclusive Western scientific studies of "pressure points" from a combative perspective. There have hardly been any from a health perspective, and those have mostly been inconclusive or have shown that any health benefits seem to be due to the placebo effect.

Now, that said, "pressure points" (I'm not personally fond of that term) do work. Not all of them work as advertised, and not all of them work on all people, but they certainly exist. I prefer to think of them as "vulnerable points," and that includes all kinds of biological structures that are particularly vulnerable to negative stimuli. This means that I include obvious targets like the eyes, throat, groin, temple, floating ribs, joints, etc., along with more esoteric ones like nerve plexuses and the carotid sinus. A friend of mine has put together this article on his view of vulnerable points from a Western perspective, and while he is not a professional researcher or medical expert, he does have extensive training in classical Okinawan arts--be sure to check the comments, too, where he addresses a common complaint regarding combat sports: Ryukyu Martial Arts A Neurophysiological Approach to Kyusho

In the end, at least to me, vulnerable points are extra credit. A punch to the head is a punch to the head, certainly, but a punch to the temple works a bit better than a punch that lands on the forehead. The key is to never put yourself in a vulnerable position trying to access a vulnerable point, in the hope that it will end the fight. Follow sound principles, and the appropriate targets will be evident. If you attack a vulnerable point and it doesn't have an enhanced effect, it should still have been better than doing nothing. Kyusho-jutsu is a component of martial arts, not an art in and of itself, like some snake-oil salesmen like to claim. It is present, but it isn't its own fighting system--people who treat it as such tend to lose sight of reality.
I have always been one to strive for extra credit. I want to make sure that my knowledge of the arts it full, well rounded and improving. Thank you for your that bit of your knowledge.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Pressure points are great, but they are not the be-all and end-all. If you nail one and drop your opponent, well and good. However, you need to keep in mind that they are less functional on people gorked out on drugs, and on some people they just don't work at all. We used to have a 13 year old girl in our school that we practically beat black-and-blue on her pressure points. She'd just smile, then whack back and drop her partner on the floor.

Latest Discussions