Pre-newbie: challenges of kenpo/kempo?

R

Roger Tibbets

Hi All -

I have never studied kenpo/kempo, so I know little about it, other than that it is a very comprehensive art.

I'm thinking of taking kenpo/kempo lessons, but would like to first get your inputs as to what are the challenging aspect of it, in particular those aspects that cause students to drop out.

I'd like to give you examples of my concern, so that you will know why I am asking. I hope that folks from other styles who are reading this don't take this as flame bait.

I studied Aikido and developed the impression that it has limitations with respect to being an effective way to learn self-defense, at least for those who have not studied for many years.

I studied a style of kung fu which I prefer not to name, and got bored with the very slow rate at which the instructor presented new information to me. In other words, it was months of practicing the stance, the introductory form, and pounding sandbags.

I realize that studying any martial art requires a certain attention span and patience, but at least I would like to be informed of the challenges if I am to start studying a particular style.

Thanks very much in advance for any comments you have on this topic.!

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I will tell you that it will be hard to get bored because compared other MA systems American Kenpo has such a large amount of information that sometimes it can be daunting and hard to retain. But with that being said you will find areas of Kenpo and you will excel at different areas and that will turn the keys for the other parts.
Kind of like looking at a clock it is nice to see the hands turning at different rate but the amount of gears and teeth on each gear can be over whelming to comprehend but when you make a good clock it keeps good time. Welcome to Kenpo and enjoy your journey and I look forward to meeting you on that mats no matter what you end up taking.

V/R

Rick

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!!

Rick gave some sound advice!! Kenpo is a fantastic art that has much to offer. If this is an art you're considering, take a look at some schools in your area. Like all arts, the learning process will take time. Its easier said than done, but with time and practice, things will eventually seem easier for you.

Good luck on your search! :supcool:

Mike

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk!

I think you will be surprised by the curriculum at most Kempo/Kenpo schools. While building a strong foundation is paramount, most Kempo styles have such a diverse and complex structure that it would be difficult to become bored.

I would say the most challenging aspects are learning the economy of motion/movement and becoming fluid without losing power in your techniques. Picture delivering maybe 5-6 strikes/kicks to vital points of the body in a second or two. :) Constant movement is the order of the day so while stances are taught and practiced early on, you will be fighting from a more neutral or casual stance later on!

Since I started in 1993, the biggest reason folks quit or "drop-out" is because too much contact, the other is that they do not advance in rank as fast as they think they should, or as fast as other schools around. (The last one is pretty wide-spread, folks want to make black belt in 2 years or something)

Have you found any schools close to you? Do your research and homework then visit as many schools as possible and find one you like, there are MANY great schools out there for Kempo/Kenpo.

Keep us posted!
James

OP
R

Roger Tibbets

Hello James -

When you say 'too much contact' are you referring to sparring?

I live in the northeast greater Sacramento area, and have found a couple of schools nearby. I have visited one and plan to visit the other soon.

Thanks very much for all of the useful comments!

Roger

OP
G

goshawk

::grin:: Welcome to kenpo.

I agree with Rick Wade in that it's near-impossible to get bored with Kenpo. There is a huge volume of information to assimilate, though it's broken down into methodical, manageable chunks for your digestive ease.

As a just-barely-post-newbie myself, I can tell you the thing I had the most trouble with was remembering all the moves and keeping them connected to their names. I mean, I'd remember the name "Rocking Elbow" and start doing the movements for "Reverse Hammerlock", and then I'd correct...only to find myself trying to do "Passing the Horizon". It's straightened itself out in the past couple months though, and my instructors have been good about finding little ways to connect the move to the name for me.

Have fun, be sure to let us know how it goes!

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When I say too much contact it is usually from sparring- It just comes with the territory... The techniques have some contact.... You get thrown, joint locks, a little punch in the ribs now and again- typical stuff.

Also, our techniques do not have long names (they are like basic #1, grab #2 etc.) just depends on the style-

ENjoy!

Kenpo_man

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The challenges of Kenpo are not so unlike the challenges of any system. People get bored, hit plateaus, get hurt and all the other stuff. You have to find an art that works for you. All schools are different in how they teach but most kenpo clubs inundate you with numerous movements and techniques and then give you the rest of your life to figure out the many ways they work. It's and exciting style and is very realistic in its approach to self defence. This stuff works!!! If you want a good site to see kenpo in action go to: http://www.ltatum.com/TipOfTheWeek.html
This is a great site with FREE video clips of kenpo principles and techniques.

Good luck in finding a school.

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well I am NOT an expert as I just started Kenpo about 3 months ago and just passed my first test to advanced white belt. All I can do is provide you the perspective of a fellow beginner. My first few classes all that came to mind was what have I done, it was so different from what I had preconceived. That first day the instructor walked us through a few techniques, the way our school is structured you can start any time. You begin in phase one for a year or until you reach purple belt. So we have a mix of colored belts at all stages of this phase in the class at the same time. The instructor showed us a tech that was new for everyone in the class he had us do each movement by its self then start to add all the individual moves to make the full technique. Some of the techniques looked a little funny while we were doing them in the air, but then when the instructor showed us the same moves while using a partner to demonstrate it was like a light bulb came on. That’s when I was like wow that would really work on the street. At first this was a little confusing as each tech might have 6 or more moves and Kenpo seems to have a never ending supply of techniques to draw from. But as I practice more and more at home these moves are becoming second nature. I like Kenpo more and more after every class. I feel excited about what I have learned so far and very excited about where Kenpo will lead as I get into the more advanced levels. I don’t want to take away anything from any other style out there. I have great respect for all martial arts and the men and women that put forth the effort to train and advance in any style. But I for one enjoy American Kenpo and can find nothing bad to say about the style. I only wish I would have started a long time ago.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Roger Tibbets said:
Hello James -

When you say 'too much contact' are you referring to sparring?

I live in the northeast greater Sacramento area, and have found a couple of schools nearby. I have visited one and plan to visit the other soon.

Thanks very much for all of the useful comments!

Roger
Who have you found to train with in this area? I too am from sacramento

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In addition to the challenges named above, consider these:

1) Kenpo has a large vocabulary and lots of concepts. These take time to learn and time to apply.

3) Kenpo has lots of material to memorize. In addition to basics and kata, there are sets (like mini-katas) and, depending on the Kenpo system you choose, 16 - 24 or more self-defense techniques and variations to learn for each belt.

4) There is a wide variation in Kenpo instruction quality. So finding a really good instructor may or may not be easy depending on luck and where you live.

5) And, lastly It is really hard to properly attach all of the patches that most Kenpo dojos use.