Power of Kihap

MasterWright

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If a person is attacked the Kihop can attract attention and bring help. Sometimes the corner or center reff's judges may tend to notice a point being scored more than if you did not.

We all know that there are certain places in your Poomse to kihop, but I was taught that you can at any point in the form.

Lots of reasons, so don't be shy and "Kihop short and Loud " from your stomach ,not your throat.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If a person is attacked the Kihop can attract attention and bring help. Sometimes the corner or center reff's judges may tend to notice a point being scored more than if you did not.

We all know that there are certain places in your Poomse to kihop, but I was taught that you can at any point in the form.

Lots of reasons, so don't be shy and "Kihop short and Loud " from your stomach ,not your throat.

Good advice Master Wright

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you think Kihap is effective scaring or startling your opponent? What are the other benefits in Kihap?
Mainly just a spirit building tool IMO. Kind of along the same lines as breaking. Encourages you not to hold back on your techniques. (Techniques tend to really lose effectiveness if you choke at any point during the execution.)

I wouldn't bank on a kihap scaring an attacker away. Results could go either way.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's a good training tool to make one breath and tighten the core at the proper time.

It's a great tool to get yourself psyched up.

It's a great tool to "demonstrate spirit." It helps to sell the sizzle in a matter of speaking.

It may startle an opponent, but I wouldn't bank my life on it.

Peace ,
Erik

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you think Kihap is effective scaring or startling your opponent? What are the other benefits in Kihap?

Only if you have an inexperienced opponent or one that is not engaged at the same level as you are, i.e. a bully about to get the beating of his life from someone who is prepared to escalate the encounter physically while he is still at the emotional/psychological stage.

Kihap or kiai can have many physiological benefits but you have to actually train those responses ahead of time for them to work. For the vast majority of martial artists, kihap is 1) a primal yell to help release body/mental tension during physical engagement, 2) an attempt to prepare your body for contact and thus minimize physical damage, and 3) a mental focus, similar to mental imagery, to help your body recall the physical keys to making a great punch or strike as you have practiced in the dojang thousands of times.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We teach that a kihap is good for: tightening solar plexus, startling attacker, a call for help, and building spirit.
When my instructor spars students, his kihap is enough to add to the intimidation factor. Also when he and I spar he will often kiyop right before a technique, taking advantage of my eye-blink, or 1/2 sec tightening up.
But, I could tell you others who it would be hard to have a conversation with about the effectivness of a kihap if everyone isn't on the same page with ki energy....

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Speaking as someone with a stutter I have to say that a Kihap is more of a hinderance than a help. It throws off my breathing, timing and concentration. I can see where it would be useful to lots of people, unfortunately I am not one of them.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
He got beat down by some MMA fighter if I remember right.
Yes. Though going by the clip, he could've been beaten down by anyone who wasn't willing to pretend they were a fish hooked on an invisible line while he reeled them in.

The Kiyai master basically came out did few hand gestures, and got punched in the face.

He fell down.

He got up, got punched a few more times while the other guy held one of his arms to keep him in range and then the fight was stopped.

Windsinger

Green Belt
Reaction score

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am one who is a firm believer that there is something to the concept of chi/ki/qi/(insert appropriate spelling here).

Something. But not that much. ;) I actually felt kind of sorry for the old man. What a rude awakening!
I believe in the concept of energy. Good bio mechanics, efficient energy transfer, leverage, paying attention to the opponent's intentions etc. I don't really believe in a mystical Forcelike energy field though.

OP
Dao

Dao

Green Belt
Reaction score
Chi energy does exist I met a king fu guy show me. It is hard to train a painful one. Chi or qi can also width stand blows. I am not into that though because I am practicing falun gong and I am not support to mix those two together.

That video of that force I don't think it's real, never heard of it. Anyways i am not an expert so I can't really say but chi energy is very real, it's just that you can't see it.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i think ki is real, but it's an aid to your physical techniques. not a replacement for them.

jf

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Only if you have an inexperienced opponent or one that is not engaged at the same level as you are, i.e. a bully about to get the beating of his life from someone who is prepared to escalate the encounter physically while he is still at the emotional/psychological stage.

Kihap or kiai can have many physiological benefits but you have to actually train those responses ahead of time for them to work. For the vast majority of martial artists, kihap is 1) a primal yell to help release body/mental tension during physical engagement, 2) an attempt to prepare your body for contact and thus minimize physical damage, and 3) a mental focus, similar to mental imagery, to help your body recall the physical keys to making a great punch or strike as you have practiced in the dojang thousands of times.

I agree. There is also one more, very prosaic use for kihaps - since you can't yell if you don't breathe, if you are in the habit of kihaping, you have to continue to breathe in as well as out, rather than holding your breath, as many people do under stress. But like any other technique, if you don't practice it, it won't work when you need it.

rabbit

Blue Belt
Reaction score

can you explain the physiology of the statements you made about the kihap? ...........please

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree. There is also one more, very prosaic use for kihaps - since you can't yell if you don't breathe, if you are in the habit of kihaping, you have to continue to breathe in as well as out, rather than holding your breath, as many people do under stress. But like any other technique, if you don't practice it, it won't work when you need it.

YES!!

YES

AND YES!!!!

BREATHING.

of course, inhaling and exhaling at the right time can make or break power, too, as we learn from weight training.

Latest Discussions