The logic behind the placement of kihaps in Taegeuk forms

OP
TrueJim

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Searching for 'Taeguek' (sic) on youtube finds a number of horrors.

As I was building the wiki, for each taekwondo form (all styles) my goal was to find:
  • One good video (meaning both a good performance, and good video quality)
  • One good diagram
  • One good set of instructions
It's remarkable how hard this was to accomplish. In many cases I was not able to find all three. YouTube is indeed filled with horrors!

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have the book "Poomse" from the WTF published in 1975, if no one has anything older... I can have a look tonight if it helps?

I've got that book, too. And while there are a few errors in there, the kihaps are where they're nowadays.

It's interesting to compare it to today's standard though. Like the use of Pyeonhi Seogi instead of Naranhi Seogi, the second Yeop Chagi of the Kodeup Yeop Chagi in Koryo being a Momtong Yeop Chagi back in the day and stuff like that.

I also learned Taegeuk 5 with a Kihap when performing the backfist and it took me a while to stop doing it. That was back in the late 80s/early 90s. Nowadays I still see clubs doing that. Actually I still have the Poomse book which was written by my instructor's instructor and just checked it out.

To me it seems as if it's just some interpretation of someone who taught Poomse to European instuctors in the 80s.

Latest Discussions