Power and economy of motion

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What happened to directional harmony, rotational force, and gravitational marriage being the three generators of force in Kenpo? Did I miss something?

:idunno:

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bill Lear said:
What happened to directional harmony, rotational force, and gravitational marriage being the three generators of force in Kenpo? Did I miss something?

:idunno:
Directional harmony: Everybody singing while facing the same way.

Rotational Force: The energy behind projectile vomiting for one of those spinning platforms on the playground.

Gravitational Marriage: Massechusettes-sanctioned union between Isaac Newton & Niels Bohr.

Did I win? :partyon:

D.

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
Directional harmony: Everybody singing while facing the same way.

Rotational Force: The energy behind projectile vomiting for one of those spinning platforms on the playground.

Gravitational Marriage: Massechusettes-sanctioned union between Isaac Newton & Niels Bohr.

D.

:rolleyes: Oh man... This is hopeless. :)

K

Kenpo_Chick

Bill Lear said:
:rolleyes: Oh man... This is hopeless. :)
heh...if it helps I know what you mean...advanced ways to look at a technique/move!! All is not lost Luke Skywalker :boing2:

bluenosekenpo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:

D.
great, now i have to wipe coffee of the screen, thank you very much! ;)

T

Tydive

Rick Wade said:
This weekend we had an impromptu seminar (so to speak) where we analyzed techniques and juiced them up. We learned how to deliver power with the timing. Which then provided speed.

Maybe I am showing my ignorance but in the past I have tried to become faster, thinking faster is more powerful. However it is just the opposite if you work on your timing.

I was amazed.

Can anyone out there offer some insight.

Thanks
Rick
I think I can help you out. “slow is smooth, smooth is fast”, which is to say that if you;

1. Maintain your center at all times

2. Use “proper” technique (driving from the ground, using your entire body to concentrate force to a single end point).

3. Be relaxed, which is to say that the muscles moving in the direction of the strike are not being impeded by counter movement (tricep/bicep) until point of impact.

4. Use your opponents energy to increase your power.

5. Control the other persons center (circle theory anyone?).

6. Use you own Chi and sense of the other persons Chi to guide your strikes.

Then you will be very fast and do much more damage.

No real order to the above, but you get the idea. The area that most people mess up is the relaxed issue. You want to fill your body with energy, feel the flow from your center and have a “full” or dynamic tension feeling throughout (unbendable arm technique for the entire body if you will). The other problem is that people equate flexing muscles with strength and power.

As an exercise try this, pick any technique you know and slow it down. Do it so slow that you can stop your body at any point in the technique (have your partner do green light / red light for you). Then speed it up, in increments. After a while you will be able to stop/start the movement at any point even at full speed, this is what I call “being in control”.

Timing is everything,

Ty

Latest Discussions