Possible to be a yellow belt after 7 sessions?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
When is the testing? A little over two weeks is pretty quick -- but if the testing is in a month, for example, it's a bit of a different question.

It kind of seems like, by asking you to complete the application for testing, your teacher isn't saying you're ready today -- but that he believes you will be ready when the test comes around. In my system, you have to have your black belt application in months before the test... and you hope you'll be ready when you test.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Stay with it, then...... and be happy instead of worried.

I suspect that the "I practice a lot" is most responsible for your early selection for this first rank.

OP
Crimson Skies

Crimson Skies

White Belt
Reaction score
The test is this Thursday.
He gave me the application on Monday.
I have a class on Wednesday.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Three weeks is fast... but not unbelievable. And it's really too early for you to tell yet.

Give it some time, and see what you think after the next couple of months. (Hint: if you're testing for black belt in a couple months -- yeah, there's a problem. If you're still in the lower kyu/gyup ranks... no big deal.)

And Grydth has a great point... Lots of hard, dedicated practice can lead to advancement.

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Whatever basics you have learned, whether it is just one block and one punch had better be done to perfection.

Does that mean you think a yellow belt should be just as good at those basics as a black belt? I mean, come on, perfection?

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Does that mean you think a yellow belt should be just as good at those basics as a black belt? I mean, come on, perfection?
It's always gotta be perfect. (How close you actually get to that's another story.)

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wouldn`t be too concerned. It is only the first belt. If you are grading a second time after 14 sessions and again after 21 my red lights would start flashing.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wouldn`t be too concerned. It is only the first belt. If you are grading a second time after 14 sessions and again after 21 my red lights would start flashing.

lol, that is about ITA frequency.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Reaction score

What I mean is they have to be done right. If you're doing a 45 degree side step with an inward block, then it has to be right, not neccessarily fast, but right. That is why we'll go a whole class on just one thing, it may be an upward block, but the whole time in class will be just the one block.

The problem with letting students go and saying "close enough, we'll work on that later" is that if they start doing wrong from the beginning it's going to be much harder to correct later. Our students are told before they join the class that we are not a belt factory.

There is no set testing time, when our instructor feels a student is ready to test, he sets up a test. It's usually about 6 mos. For the first belt. So yes, their basics up to that point should look perfect.

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What I mean is they have to be done right. If you're doing a 45 degree side step with an inward block, then it has to be right, not neccessarily fast, but right. That is why we'll go a whole class on just one thing, it may be an upward block, but the whole time in class will be just the one block.

The problem with letting students go and saying "close enough, we'll work on that later" is that if they start doing wrong from the beginning it's going to be much harder to correct later. Our students are told before they join the class that we are not a belt factory.

There is no set testing time, when our instructor feels a student is ready to test, he sets up a test. It's usually about 6 mos. For the first belt. So yes, their basics up to that point should look perfect.

Wow, only six months to perfection of the basics? Better tell some of those grandmasters, they'll be piiiised. They wasted years on basics when they could have had them PERFECT in 6 months.

Now I'm sure your instructor is a good one, but there have been studies on the effectiveness of teaching techniques, and one whole class on a block is not the best or most efficient way to teach. Just saying.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well after forty years and I am still trying to perfect the baasics, what some people to believe to be perfection is another person dis appointment of themself.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Glad you are enjoying your training and putting in extra "homework."

Good luck!

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I avoid the whole "stuck doing" whatever by not separating classes by belt level. All students learn the same things; new students spend some time pulled out of the main body with an instructor or senior student being taught basics, but as soon as they have some tools to work with -- they're in with the rest of the class. Then they get pulled aside occasionally to add new "beginner" material...

We have a minimum 2nd Dan main instructor per belt rank, with as many as 7 or 8 different instructors working with a class of students at once. IF we have 10 green belts, we might have a 2nd Dan and a 1st Dan working with them because of the size of the group. We all go through warmups together, then depending on what we're doing in that day's class break down into as many belt level groups as we have that day in class. Not every class is like that, but half are. For example, we don't allow sparring until high orange (7th), so they might do forms if the upper belts are sparring. A little unorthodox possibly, but we aren't a commercial school.

I fully understand what works for us might not work elsewhere, especially places that don't have 10 or so instructors available per class or have a very high ranking senior BB available all the time. I'm also not part of the decision making process, so I should be VERY clear about that :D

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My instructor says i'm learning very quickly and he handed me a application for the promotion test.I'm pretty sure I need more time.But I see other white belts struggling at some of the easiest things.
Is this possible or am I at a Mcdojang? :jaw-dropping:

It depends upon the requirements, and how much you practice and other things like your age, athletic ability etc. etc.

Joe Lewis one of the greatest American karate fighters earned his black belt in 9 months. It took me 7 years and in his 60's he'd still kick my butt.

Seriously in your other posts you mentioned your work ethic, your attendence etc. etc. so I can see you being promoted if you are capable of doing all of the requirements that your instructor has laid out.

In my curiculum I broke down my Orange belt rank into Yellow and Gold, then Orange. When I tested for Orange it took me six months to learn the material (and some other reasons). I based my Yellow and Gold ranks on about 2 months of practice each and then 2 months to Orange. On my last exam I had a 14 year old girl who promoted to Gold after 2 months. She worked hard and knew the material (what I taught her), so instead of holding her back I tested her for what she knew and was ready for. She would have promoted to Yellow in about 8 lessons (I teach 2X a week). Now she will depending upon her attitude and work ethic (among other things) either promote next test to Orange or test in four months, it's up to her as long as she meets the requirements.

The other posters brought up some good points on what to watch out for, but I would trust your instructor, if he is being above board with you. Being new to a school that might be hard to judge, but you can tell if other higher ranked students don't know their material, you can see how seriously other students train and does their rank reflect their attitudes or behaviour in class? These should be real tip offs as to whether or not he is a scammer.