Police Fear 'War On Cops'

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
And to be perfectly honest, there are probably a couple of cops we would enjoy getting some complaints on so we could have a valid foundation for discipline....
Yep... I've seen a few over the years at various agencies that everyone wondered how they weren't fired. But nobody actually complained... so nothing got done.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
To that I say go home white people, and give this country back to the Native American Indians. I know that will never happen, so I hope that the police community can be mature enough as a group to admit that there are some. Listen to the complaints, and ask yourself, why would an A / B Student who worked and helped get his younger brother through high school as mother died of cancer, make this stuff up?
I, and most of the other LEOs on this site have never denied that there are bad cops, ranging from simply incompetent and unconfident, to outright dirty and criminal. But there are also a whole lot of people out there who think they know what is legal or right, and they simply don't. They have unrealistic views of violence, and sometimes they outright refuse to accept that the real world isn't as pretty as a movie.
A war on cops should be tolerated by the population of this country.
A war by the police on the population should not be tolerated, and the police believe they are not, but it sometimes feels like that when you close ranks and defend the bad guys and accuse those who are not in the brotherhood.
I hope that your first sentence here is a typo; I hope that you're not condoning a war -- or even simple assaults on the police.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I, and most of the other LEOs on this site have never denied that there are bad cops, ranging from simply incompetent and unconfident, to outright dirty and criminal. But there are also a whole lot of people out there who think they know what is legal or right, and they simply don't. They have unrealistic views of violence, and sometimes they outright refuse to accept that the real world isn't as pretty as a movie.

I hope that your first sentence here is a typo; I hope that you're not condoning a war -- or even simple assaults on the police.

Should NOT be.

My Apologies JKS et al on that typo.

As to the law, I have meet many an officer that did not know it either. You do not argue it on the side of the road, you stay calm and cooperative and then take then to court and deal with it there.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41235743/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

And then people wonder why cops are always on the edge, why you always see numerous cops on traffic stops, etc. Some will call it abuse of power, but I think its more CYA. In todays world, it seems that's the way that you have to be.

Why would police fear war on cops? All these incidents were disconnected incidents, having nothing to do with each other.

Sounds more like a ratcheting up and continuance of the same rhetoric from the Tucson shooting on the part of the media.

Last edited:

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Organized? No. A social and political climate that is lending itself increasingly to attacks on cops, both as visible symbols of the government and of authority? Yes.

That's not really true, either.......there has been a DECLINE in law enforcement homicides for the last 30 years.

Try 'increased media scrutiny for any national events that fit in to the Tucson related narrative on national violence'.....there is a narrative that has been created that all of this is being used to support.

Statistical anomalies occur......this is hardly indicative of a change in the overall downward trend of violence against against law enforcement officers.

For the last several years the number one killer of law enforcement officers has been traffic related incidents.

Last edited:

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you examine the details of these recent incidents, you will find that many of theories here are simply incorrect.

Lets examine the St. Petersburg police shooting....

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20029431-504083.html

A felony fugitive, being hunted by the US Marshals Service/Local Task Force, was tracked to a residence, where a female resident told them he was hiding in the attic and possibly armed.

They climbed up in to the attic after an armed and desperate fugitive, who subsequently opened fire.

Nothing here illustrates some national trend, or some changing paradigm in police work........merely a desperate fugitive doing what desperate fugitives have always done......and some questionable tactics on the part of the responding officers.........

.......I do not know WHY they chose to climb up in to a hole after a dangerous fugitive they were just informed was possibly armed........that makes no sense to me having been in the same kind of situation myself. Absolutely none. And it makes the outcome doubly sad that it was predictable.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why would police fear war on cops? All these incidents were disconnected incidents, having nothing to do with each other.

Sounds more like a ratcheting up and continuance of the same rhetoric from the Tucson shooting on the part of the media.

Well, I didn't say that they were, I'm just saying what the article was saying. :) As for the article...be that as it may, I think the jist of this article was due to the fact that there've been a number of shootings, involving police. Seems to me that author of the article was wondering if people were on some rampage.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
From Jan. 1st through the 25th nationwide:
53 police officers/agents have been shot at;
37 have been hit by gunfire;
14 were in a 36-hour time frame;
10 died (by gunfire);
......2 remain in critical condition
Stats coutesy of Law Enforcement Today

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Part of the issue is also that cops are just the most visible and interactive representation of the 'legal system' for people who have a grudge against the legal system. They're the most visible, the most accessible, and have the most interaction.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, I didn't say that they were, I'm just saying what the article was saying. :) As for the article...be that as it may, I think the jist of this article was due to the fact that there've been a number of shootings, involving police. Seems to me that author of the article was wondering if people were on some rampage.

First, I worded that wrong, as I wasn't intended to mean 'you' were saying that, I knew what you were saying. :)

Second, yes the author was obviously wondering so, but very erroneously, as none of the incident suggested some larger cultural connection.

One must be careful to avoid the 'Blue Car' fallacy.

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I don't know of, personally, any Officer, Agent, Deputy, or other LEO that has ever feared a war on cops. We tend to use this as more of a resolve to train harder and more often and try and to always have the right mindset and to be prepared.

Whenever there is a large amount of police violence (as the victims) or something similar it should serve as a reminder to those of us in uniform (or out, but carrying a badge) to always be on our guard; complacency kills.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know of, personally, any Officer, Agent, Deputy, or other LEO that has ever feared a war on cops. We tend to use this as more of a resolve to train harder and more often and try and to always have the right mindset and to be prepared.

Whenever there is a large amount of police violence (as the victims) or something similar it should serve as a reminder to those of us in uniform (or out, but carrying a badge) to always be on our guard; complacency kills.

Indeed!

Latest Discussions