Please spare a thought or prayer for my Mom

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
My mom's in worse shape than i thought.
Dad just told me this evening Mom has some kind of growth at the base of her skull that has spread to places down the side of her neck since August. Next month she's going in for a biopsy to determine if they're cancerous or not.

This having been kept from me until 3 hours ago hasn't helped.

Not back in high school getting up the balls to ask out the one girl I ever did, Not the time I looked the guy convicted of murder eye-to-eye and told him to go to hell when he tried to give me ****, not on 9/11 when the towers fell, not last spring when a local chemical plant exploded and I was SURE my State Guard unit was gonna get called up to assist, and not this summer when I was out of work for a month, did I feel like I did tonight when I heard that.

For the first time in my adult life I am Stone. Cold. Terrified.

I know people die, and I know eventually this must include my folks(both are in their 60s now, and as cold as it may sound I know I have a lot less time with them than I would like, and there is no wish I can make that can stop this. It doesn't help). But I DON'T want either of my folks to go like what this is sounding like it could be.

Sorry to be such a downer here, but i needed to say something to someone, and although I don't know many of you except through MT, some of you I know in person, others from my past, and those few of you that i know only from here have been my friends in more ways than perhaps you realize.
Thanks for listening, anyway
Andy Moynihan

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry to be such a downer here, but i needed to say something to someone, and although I don't know many of you except through MT, some of you I know in person, others from my past, and those few of you that i know only from here have been my friends in more ways than perhaps you realize.
Thanks for listening, anyway
Andy Moynihan

If you can't share your feelings with us, people you share the MA bond with then who???? ....We gotta stay strong to comfort the others who lack our inner strenght...

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andy, this is very horrifying news, but don't think the worst—it may well not be that. I had a professor in graduate school who developed something along the lines of what you described. He became gradually incapacitated as a result, but it turned out to be benign, and he lived out a normal lifespan. Don't give up hope—and we're all hoping with you, my friend.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andy, I'm so sorry this is happening to your mother, and that you and your family have to deal with the fear and potential outcomes. Here's hoping it's benign and as easily treatable as such a growth could be.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Andy Im so sorry to hear about this. I want you to know that my prayers are with you, your mother and your family. Please stay strong.

*bows head* "Lord we come to you in a time of need. Please be with Andy's mother and make sure that she comes through this. Be with Andy and his family. Be with them and keep them strong through this time of need. We ask this in the Lord's name. Amen."

Be strong brother. We are with you.

B

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andy,

My family's thoughts and for sure prayers are with your Mother and Father, as well as you tonight. Heres hoping everything going to be fine. I know what you are going through and feel for you during this time of uncertainty and anxiety.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OMG Andy, I'm so sorry.

BTW...you aren't being a downer. You are being a friend, by trusting in us enough to share your battle.

Mrs. Moynihan is one of the kindest, most loving people that I have ever met.

She has all my prayers and good thoughts. :asian:

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am sorry to hear this.

Stay positive.

Our thoughts and best wishes are with you and your family from across the vast distances.

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
My thoughts are with you, I hope you get good news from the biopsy results.
love donna

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You and your family have my thoughts and prayers. love Irene

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andy,

I'm sorry to hear about your mother, try to stay positive until you hear something definitive, which I hope is that whatever it is, is benign and treatable. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Andy, I'm sorry to hear about this. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Mike

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I share everyones sentiments about this horrible news.

Like Carol said, Andy, it isn't taken as a 'downer' that you ask us to share, however, remotely, this burden. Far from it.

All we can do is offer our prayers and try to buoy you up if you need it but sometimes just the act of sharing a trouble can help you bear it.

My thoughts are with you, as I recall the strength I needed to find a while ago when it seemed my father was days from death. That strength does come to you, my friend - the key is not to let helplessness get you but to focus on what you can do.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Wish I had a witty retort or something to add some cheer, but I'm at a loss.

I do hope your mom pulls through this, and you have my best wishes.

:asian:

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
My thoughts and prayers are with your family

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andy, I am so sorry. Your mom, and you, are in my thoughts and prayers. If you need to talk, I'm here. *hugs*

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Andy, I'm glad you posted, keep on posting if you can.Families when a crisis hits support each other wonderfully but each tries not to worry or stress the others and they don't express their pain, anxiety or even anger for fear of upsetting others, that's where we come in. I think I can speak for everyone here in saying we are here for you, get the things off your chest that you need to help you stay strong, we won't get upset or blame you for having a rant, we're good listeners. There's very few of us who don't know what you are going through. Irene

seninoniwashi

Green Belt
Reaction score
My mom's in worse shape than i thought.
Dad just told me this evening Mom has some kind of growth at the base of her skull that has spread to places down the side of her neck since August. Next month she's going in for a biopsy to determine if they're cancerous or not.

My deepest regards :asian:

I'm sorry man, that's gotta/gonna be real hard

Latest Discussions