Who has taken you under their wing?

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I was very young (15 years old) I was fortunate enough to meet a man that inspired me to be a better person. He taught me how to fight and more importantly how to walk away from a fight (with dignity).

I was at an age where I was being heavily influenced by kids with attitudes and drug/alcohol use. I was rebelling against my parents (of course) and any kind of authority figure.

Well, this guy took me under his wing and taught me alot. It was much more than Kung Fu lessons. This was a guy that was able to command my attention and respect. He redirected my life. I didnt realize it at the beginning but I was being trained by a true Master, a Legend. I got lucky.

Do you have or had someone in your life that took you under their wing? A martial arts instructor, teacher, friend, co-worker?

Oh, the guy I was talking about passed away quite a few years ago, but I still feel him watching over me. His name was Jimmy Woo.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I started up in the MA's only 14 months ago. I to was headed down a dark path that had claimed the lives of some of my good friends. I got in the MA's cause I heard it was good for self discipline.

Its not one person, its everyone at my dojo. My instructor, the upper ranks, and the lower ranks all play their part. My instructor shows me that path I need to follow, the upper ranks help me stay true and give me someone to follow and the lower ranks are right behind me watching me and following my path, they help keep me on it and show me that one day I too may some day be the instructor.

good thread

B

blacklightmike

White Belt
Reaction score
I was lucky to have had two excellent mentors in my life... one who helped guide my way into illustration, and one who has trained and guided me along in martial arts.

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
When I was a teenager, I had the good fortune to meet my Judo & Jujutsu sensei, Alex Marshall. For the next 20 years, he offered guidance, advice and butt kickings in equal measure.