Participate straight away or watch first?

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
One of the places I'm looking at gave the option to watch and do a trial run at another time with a female friend. Or to try it out straight away, only caveat being that I'll probably be paired up with a guy.

I have a friend who might be able to go with me at some point. But that could be a few weeks.

What do you think works better?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are still overthinking things :)
Just Try It.

You cant possibly stand to lose.
Youre not going to have your Skull Crushed by Lethal Power Striking, and youre not going to be Molested. :p

If youre more comfortable going with a friend, go with a friend.

:sp77: - Your Skull is not going to replace this Plank. Noone is going to Judge You. Theres nothing to be afrai...
Actually, just dont Train were im Training, and your Skull will be perfectly safe. :D

OP
Monroe

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was thinking I was going for a trial but then I guy I spoke to seemed to think I'd want to bring a friend. Then I started second guessing, if he's recommending I bring a friend there must be a reason why he thought I would find a guy intimidating. I don't want to make assumptions and then have it bite me in the ****.

I played a lot of sports as a kid. I can't remember the last time I tried something new. Nowadays it's just the swimming and jogging. I did gymnastics, skateboarding and biking. I'd probably have a heart attack looking at a half-pipe these days. I'm sure there's a 15yo buried deep down inside pissing herself laughing at me.

Promise I'll stay out of your dojo. Assuming you practice at a dojo. Right?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was thinking I was going for a trial but then I guy I spoke to seemed to think I'd want to bring a friend. Then I started second guessing, if he's recommending I bring a friend there must be a reason why he thought I would find a guy intimidating. I don't want to make assumptions and then have it bite me in the ****.

I played a lot of sports as a kid. I can't remember the last time I tried something new. Nowadays it's just the swimming and jogging. I did gymnastics, skateboarding and biking. I'd probably have a heart attack looking at a half-pipe these days. I'm sure there's a 15yo buried deep down inside pissing herself laughing at me.

Promise I'll stay out of your dojo. Assuming you practice at a dojo. Right?

Hes probably just being Considerate. Ive known several Women who've been Intimated by Combatative Arts at first.
Bringing an equally inexperienced friend can make it easier.
Or, its McDojo, that just wants to try and sucker in as many members as possible. But thats a WHOLE other topic.

Its technically a Dojang, but yes :p

OP
Monroe

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Is McDojo a way to describe a commercialized place? Where's the line on that?

I think anything new is always going to be intimidating.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is McDojo a way to describe a commercialized place? Where's the line on that?

I think anything new is always going to be intimidating.
A McDojo is a place that Simplifies an Art, to make it seem more Appealing.
In other words, cut out the Martial and the Art, and replace it with just doing the Movements.
Or just Training Poorly.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Like Ben Stiller says in Starsky & Hutch "Do it!"

Of course that is with or with out the rum and coke (i prefer with :D)

But seriously just go for it.

B

OP
Monroe

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Cyriacus - Would they still have students that compete outside of their school?

KenpoGuy06 - Sugar=Good, Alcohol=Good, Sugar+Alcohol=Yuck! But a little liquid courage couldn't hurt any.

Even if I did get hurt this time around, at least it won't be because I did something stupid this time.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi Monroe I have done both watched and participated. Personally I like to watch first because I can evalaute things better.
When I am watching the class I am looking at how the teacher presents the class, Does he work with people struggling? Does he abuse the students,
When I participate I am to busy trying to follow the teachings that it makes it harder to critique the class and teacher.

Usually after just watching a class if the teacher is good then its time to try the class and see if our chemistry mixes.

I have been to many classes where I tried it before I watched and it did not go well for me. But thats my experience others vary.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cyriacus - Would they still have students that compete outside of their school?

KenpoGuy06 - Sugar=Good, Alcohol=Good, Sugar+Alcohol=Yuck! But a little liquid courage couldn't hurt any.

Even if I did get hurt this time around, at least it won't be because I did something stupid this time.

Competition is Irrelevant.
Of course they would - In fact, some Mcdojos are the way they are BECAUSE they Train for Competition, and nothing else.
Its a matter of what youre after, i suppose.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I have to admit at time i do fancy those fruity alcohol drinks as they taste like candy. Mostly though im a stout Kentucky bourbon and coke drinker as well as beer (almost time for some Sam Adams Octoberfest!!!)

B

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Martial arts must be experienced to be appreciated. Especially as a beginner, experience is going to give you much, much, more information than just watching.

OP
Monroe

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Competition is Irrelevant.
Of course they would - In fact, some Mcdojos are the way they are BECAUSE they Train for Competition, and nothing else.
Its a matter of what youre after, i suppose.

It's a possibility that a McDojo could smack me and I might miss it. lol But I'll try to be aware of it.

I have to admit at time i do fancy those fruity alcohol drinks as they taste like candy. Mostly though im a stout Kentucky bourbon and coke drinker as well as beer (almost time for some Sam Adams Octoberfest!!!)

B

Fruity alcoholic drinks always remind me of rotting fruit. I feel sick just from the scent alone.

OP
Monroe

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Martial arts must be experienced to be appreciated. Especially as a beginner, experience is going to give you much, much, more information than just watching.

I think I'll just go for it. I can only worry so much.

OP
Monroe

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Had a go at Muay Thai tonight. I had fun. My wrists ache from punching. Definitely not used that.

I have a couple nore places to check out. But I liked the location and times for this place.

Thanks for helping out! It was better participating.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Had a go at Muay Thai tonight. I had fun. My wrists ache from punching. Definitely not used that.

I have a couple nore places to check out. But I liked the location and times for this place.

Thanks for helping out! It was better participating.
And so well they should. Thatll take 1-3 Weeks to stop happening. Just shake your wrists like youre chopping down on something from time to time to loosen the joint.

NSRTKD

Green Belt
Reaction score
Good for you!!! I'm glad you jumped right in!!!

On the "bring a friend" issue - if it was a male instructor that suggested you do so, it could be a sign of the male instructor assuring you that he's ONLY after teaching you and nothing dishonorable, yaknowwhatImean?

OP
Monroe

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Maybe. He was really nice and I didn't feel any pressure about bringing a friend. It felt like just a suggestion.

I have a few places I want to check out. If I try out each place, it's going to take a while to pick. Between schedule and recovery the next day, I think it could take as much as a couple of weeks. I'll have to exercise some patience.

SuperFLY

Green Belt
Reaction score
good on ya for having a go at something, now just gotta try a few and see what you prefer :)

good luck in the search :)

Latest Discussions