First bjj lesson

OP
D

day1

White Belt
Reaction score
I had a question and figured Id come back to my old thread to get some input on something. Ive been going to sessions and training and mostly enjoying it Id say 90% of the time but one thing I notice is this.

We drill things for about 40 min then we do around 15 min live training at the end..... and I cant remember much of what we learnt when things go live. I have two things I am able to do from the top sometimes but yesterday as an example we drilled escaping from knee on belly for perhaps 20 min then when live rolling I ended up in knee on belly and it did not occur to me to do what we had drilled - is any part of that normal? would you say its bad to be forgetting everything under pressure or somewhat normal. I actually think about it afterwoods and I wonder why I didnt do the escape we were just drilling

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
I had a question and figured Id come back to my old thread to get some input on something. Ive been going to sessions and training and mostly enjoying it Id say 90% of the time but one thing I notice is this.

We drill things for about 40 min then we do around 15 min live training at the end..... and I cant remember much of what we learnt when things go live. I have two things I am able to do from the top sometimes but yesterday as an example we drilled escaping from knee on belly for perhaps 20 min then when live rolling I ended up in knee on belly and it did not occur to me to do what we had drilled - is any part of that normal? would you say its bad to be forgetting everything under pressure or somewhat normal. I actually think about it afterwoods and I wonder why I didnt do the escape we were just drilling
That's normal when you start out
Live rolling is quite stressful at first and stress screws up our brain
A bit part of getting better is to first learn how to stay calm during rolling so you can access your techniques, then to see rolling as an opportunity to try out what you've learned in class
Nowadays I specifically engineer the scenarios from class during free sparring to try and broaden my repertoire
I think a mistake many people make is to see rolling as a contest and to forget that rolling is training how to apply the things you're working on in a live environment

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

You have to do it more than once.

Latest Discussions