Self-defence and exercise

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm considering starting a martial arts course. I've been reading and looking at what's available in my area. It's a lot of information. Anyone willing to help narrow this down a little? I posted in the women's section, but thought might get ulternate opinions here.

I'm looking for exercise and self-defence. I'm not a small woman, I'm 5'9" 156lbs. I'm not fast or unusually strong. I'm currently not in the best shape. I swim and jog, but it's just the bare minimum. I have a temper I've been working on for years, but it still has room for improvement. I don't really have formal training, just some basics my father taught me.

I don't want to try high kicks.

Suggestions for which form of martial arts I should look at? Thanks in advance.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why wouldnt you want to try High Kicks? Theyre an Advanced Exercise in Balance and Control, as well as Displaying Flexibility. And it wouldnt be Expected Right Away.

In any Case, you may be geared more toward Self Defense Classes, or some form of Non-Shotokan Karate.
Optionally, Aikido, if youre into that sort of thing.

Also, Height and Weight should never be a Factor. Height is largely Irrelevant, and Weight can be Minimised.

OP
Monroe

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My balance and flexibility aren't bad, I did well in gymnastics. It's just high kicks look vulnerable to me. I'd rather avoid moves that leave me that open.

Can you tell me a little about Non-Shotokan Karate and Aikido?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
My balance and flexibility aren't bad, I did well in gymnastics. It's just high kicks look vulnerable to me. I'd rather avoid moves that leave me that open.

Any Strike leaves you Vulnerable, no matter what it is. High Punches expose your Torso, Middle Punches expose your Head, and so forth.
Anyway.

Aikido is a largely Grappling Art, which ultimately Redirects an Opponents Force, and Incapacitates them Subsequently.

There are so many forms of Karate, it isnt even Funny. But since Shotokan teaches High Kicks to its Advanced Students; Isshin Ryu, or Kenpo might work better for your taste.
Isshin Ryu is a Fast Style, Kenpo is a Mixed Style.

OP
Monroe

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Maybe I don't need to worry about high kicks if they're only taught to advance students anyway. I wouldn't be investing more than 1-2 nights per week.

Grappling, is that like wrestling?

Sorry if my questions are dumb. The more I read, the more fears I realize I have. I'm hoping if I act like a grown up about it, I'll stumble my way through it.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kicks ar kicks. You aim them where you think they'll do the most good. Sometimes that's the knee, sometimes it's the head. Shockingly, everybody tends to start out with lower kicks being their only option.

You're no more open during a high kick (properly setup and executed) than you are during a kick to the body (properly setup and executed).

Your choice should be made based on your individual aptitudes and situation. If you have long legs and good balance, a kicking art may suit you, such as Tae Kwon Do, Savate or Muay Thai. If you have rotten flexibilty but really fasthands, you may be better off with an art that stresses upper body techniques, such as Kung Fu, some styles of Karate, or Boxing. On the other hand, if you're considering situations where striking is not allowable (for example, anytime I'm working - the ER frowns on kicking people in the head, no matter how violent they are). In that case, you might want to consider one of the arts that stresses grappling, joint locks or throws such as Jiujitsu or Aikido.

Your desire for exercise is immaterial, really. If you practice properly, you'll get an excellent workout from ANY martial art.

OP
Monroe

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I work outside, most often alone on night shift with a vast majority of male co-workers and men from other companies. (aircraft mechanic) Can't always hear or see much of what's going on around me. I'm focused on what I'm working on, not necessarily my surroundings. Recently, I've come to feel unsafe. I don't know how much is due to a change in co-workers and how much is due to personal history. Nothing has bad has happened, but you know when something's just off?

I have good balance, but I have slow reaction times. I'm good at endurance sports, hence I have gravitated to jogging and swimming. They're easy. I have a short torso and long legs.

Thanks for responding.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe I don't need to worry about high kicks if they're only taught to advance students anyway. I wouldn't be investing more than 1-2 nights per week.

Grappling, is that like wrestling?

Sorry if my questions are dumb. The more I read, the more fears I realize I have. I'm hoping if I act like a grown up about it, I'll stumble my way through it.

Grappling is very different to Wrestling.

I work outside, most often alone on night shift with a vast majority of male co-workers and men from other companies. (aircraft mechanic) Can't always hear or see much of what's going on around me. I'm focused on what I'm working on, not necessarily my surroundings. Recently, I've come to feel unsafe. I don't know how much is due to a change in co-workers and how much is due to personal history. Nothing has bad has happened, but you know when something's just off?

I have good balance, but I have slow reaction times. I'm good at endurance sports, hence I have gravitated to jogging and swimming. They're easy. I have a short torso and long legs.

Thanks for responding.

Reaction Timing is taught with practice, whether you naturally have it or not.
Though yeah - Most MA will work Swell.
Id advise sucking up your doubts, and just going to watch some Styles.
Then just work out if you prefer Striking, Grappling, Wrestling, or a Mixture.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Monroe

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Do they hurt their fingers like that? Looks like their fingers are being bent backwards or something. Ouch!

I guess I'll have to try it. Imagining being on the receiving end, none of it sounds pleasant. lol

Thanks!

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do they hurt their fingers like that? Looks like their fingers are being bent backwards or something. Ouch!

I guess I'll have to try it. Imagining being on the receiving end, none of it sounds pleasant. lol

Thanks!
Fingers can be Conditioned. And are Conditioned.

The Person on the Receiving end is usually not having Fun, sure.
But how else can you Learn Application?
The the Defender whos Gaining from the Experience, and both sides ultimately get to have at each other.

Hope this all helps.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Look around at the schools near you. Visit them and talk to the head instructor. Does what they do make sense to you? Can you see how that school will help you achieve your goals? Do you feel comfortable with the instructor? After narrowing your search down, we can tell you specifics on different styles.

I myself enjoy Wing Chun. I have an excellent teacher, which means a lot, no matter what art you decide to pick up. Wing Chun is direct and to the point and does not rely on physical attributes to achieve its' goals. Having said that, there are quality schools of all styles. There are many more who aren't so..quality. Do your research :)

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Monroe, you`ve got the right idea. Find something near you, and ask questions before you make your final choice.

Yes, grappling means wrestling, either standing or on the ground. Higher kicks do tend to leave you exposed for a bit, but Just because the style you choose has them doesn`t mean you have to use them.I`ve been doing martial arts for over 30 years. Whe I was a kid I enjoyed kicking high and spent alot of time training for it. As I got older I decided it was faster and safer not to kick higher than the chest. Now I rarely kick anyone above the waist. My style hasn`t changed, but my tastes have.

And last of all remember none of us was born a martial arts expert. The people you see teaching the classes were beginners once too. You can do this if you want to.Good luck.

OP
Monroe

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for putting up with me. I'll be looking around at schools this week. Meeting new people irl isn't my forte, but I guess it's going to have to happen. Thanks again!

jda

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Just my .02 cents worth. I train and teach Tae Kwon Do and yes high kicks are a part of the curriculum. However, in self defenses we teach never to kick some one in the head unless they are on their knees first! A knee to the groin then a roundhouse to the head kind of thing. I'm forty eight years old, 215 lbs, and I can kick you in the head, but I'd rather kick your knee or crotch instead. Your speed and reaction time will improve with practice as will your strength. Just shop around at different schools, a decent school will let you watch or even try out a class for free. Keep looking until you find one you're comfortable with. Good luck with your search.
Jim

joshbrown

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If self defense is your main concern, you should consider looking into To-Shin Do.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for putting up with me. I'll be looking around at schools this week. Meeting new people irl isn't my forte, but I guess it's going to have to happen. Thanks again!
There was a point before we all became Cute Fluffy Highly Trained Warriors, when we too questioned the Concept. Worry not! At least you can make a Well Educated Decision :p

SuperFLY

Green Belt
Reaction score

i havent read all your replies but one thing should be made very clear.

'you dont have to know martial arts to do martial arts.'

may sound obvious to say but i hear similar things said all the time. 'id like to do a martial art but it looks hard, im not fit, im not flexible, etc.. etc..' this all comes by training. no one is born knowing how to do it; they're taught, they train, they learn.

my advice would be to have a think about the kind of thing you'd like to do and pop along to a class or 2. see if you like what you see.

as i said, you dont have to be fit or some fighting master to train martial arts. that comes in time with training :)

OP
Monroe

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There was a point before we all became Cute Fluffy Highly Trained Warriors, when we too questioned the Concept. Worry not! At least you can make a Well Educated Decision :p

If only predators would dual me to a sketch. I bet I could win that!