Participate straight away or watch first?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the places I'm looking at gave the option to watch and do a trial run at another time with a female friend. Or to try it out straight away, only caveat being that I'll probably be paired up with a guy.

I have a friend who might be able to go with me at some point. But that could be a few weeks.

What do you think works better?

You could do either, but personally, I like to watch at least 1 or 2 classes first. This way, you can get an idea for what the classes are like. But as I said, you could also jump right in, if the teacher allows that.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this is a little late for the one school, but I'm adding it anyway. Different schools and clubs have different practices, whatever you may want. Some, especially very traditional dojos, may expect you to watch a few classes before asking if you'd like to participate. In fact, they may ask to meet you somewhere else, like for coffee, before they bring you into the school at all. This is a mutual sizing up; they're deciding if you're someone they want around, and giving you a chance to decide if they're a place that you'll want to commit time to. Don't worry too much, though -- this is kind of rare in the US and Canada, except for training halls you'd really have to hunt for.

I generally size up visitors, and depending on their comfort, will invite them to train the first time they come to class. If they just want to watch, that's fine, too.

If offered, I'd encourage you to participate in the training. It'll give a much better feel for the place than simply watching is likely to. Liken it to buying a car. You can buy a car without doing a test drive -- but wouldn't you generally be more comfortable with the purchase to test drive it first?

OKenpo942

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If your friend is truly motivated to train and you would be more comfortable waiting for her, I say wait. However, it has been my experience that if you wait for a friend, you may be waiting 10 years from now. Just jump in with both feet and love it. Your excitement and enthusiasm may rub off on your friend. I guess I'm saying... don't let not having a friend or another girl be your excuse for not trying it. Go for it!

James

Latest Discussions