Taking up Shaolin kung fu

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
After doing a little research I'm realizing how little I understand about it, but here goes ...

I've been looking for a good supplement for my Systema since my instructor in my new town only teaches once a week. He suggested a few things, including ballroom dance (a whole story unto itself!) and Shaolin kung fu. I went to a new dojo earlier this week and gave it a try. I fell in love! It's the feline grace that got me, and a very approachable group of people.

Interestingly, as I kicked my way across the floor for my first go at the Five Gates, the instructor looked at me quizzically. "Are you sure you've never done this before?" :uhyeah: My main question here is related to those kicks - I had to beg off early because I have a case of sciatica. I can't do straight-leg anything without losing contact with my feet. It was fun watching the more advanced students float across the floor, but I noticed a lot of straight leg action there too. I asked the instructor what proportion of the movements are straight-leg and she seemed a little evasive. It's not all as clear-cut as the Five Gates, and nobody was going to push me to do something I can't do.

But I'm a perfectionist. If I go to the trouble of learning to do something I don't see the point if I'm physically incapable of getting it right. I want to be able to use it if I ever have to. So can anyone here give me a better picture on that aspect? I'd really love to go back, but I have to happy with the proportion of participation vs. sitting out.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
After doing a little research I'm realizing how little I understand about it, but here goes ...

Hehehe... you're not the only one.

I've been looking for a good supplement for my Systema since my instructor in my new town only teaches once a week. He suggested a few things, including ballroom dance (a whole story unto itself!) and Shaolin kung fu. I went to a new dojo earlier this week and gave it a try. I fell in love! It's the feline grace that got me, and a very approachable group of people.

That's cool.

Interestingly, as I kicked my way across the floor for my first go at the Five Gates, the instructor looked at me quizzically. "Are you sure you've never done this before?" :uhyeah: My main question here is related to those kicks - I had to beg off early because I have a case of sciatica. I can't do straight-leg anything without losing contact with my feet. It was fun watching the more advanced students float across the floor, but I noticed a lot of straight leg action there too. I asked the instructor what proportion of the movements are straight-leg and she seemed a little evasive. It's not all as clear-cut as the Five Gates, and nobody was going to push me to do something I can't do.

Ok... here's the million dollar question to your question. What kind of kicks? Straight swing kicks I'm guessing, but before I write a treatise on this, a little more info will be very helpful.

Also... if you've got the website to the school or more info about what flavor of CMA this is, that will help a bunch.

But I'm a perfectionist. If I go to the trouble of learning to do something I don't see the point if I'm physically incapable of getting it right. I want to be able to use it if I ever have to. So can anyone here give me a better picture on that aspect? I'd really love to go back, but I have to happy with the proportion of participation vs. sitting out.

Well... don't start blowing it off right away.

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
Their website goes into some depth about the merits of their children's classes, but it's a little short on a description of what their kung fu is:

Our Teen/Adult Kung Fu program offers a comprehensive curriculum in the styles of Shaolin and Hun Gar. Learn a fascinating art while learning very practical self defense skills!
The kicks I worked on were just straight forward in front of my as I walked. I'm not sure how else to describe it, except that they referred to it as the Five Gates. Hope that helps.

I don't want to blow it off, I just want to make sure I have the physical capacity to participate fully before I commit a lot of energy and money. When I first got the sciatica it was so bad that I was completely incapacitated for six weeks. I don't want to risk that again.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is literally hundreds of different systems of kung fu. For each system, there are many, many, different schools that all teach a little different...and sometimes a LOT different. Hung Gar is a type of southern kung fu, if that is what you are learning. If you are into the animal aspect of kung fu, it strongly resembles a mix of tiger and crane. I can't tell you how your school teaches it, because I have never been there or run across people from the school.

Keep in mind that drilling and fighting excercises aren't always the same. Drilling excercises, such as footwork patterns, form, kicks up and down the floor, etc are usually done with the purpose of training specific things into your body and ideas into your head. How good your kung fu will be will be determined upon how well you understand what those drills are trying to accomplish and how you apply the principles and concepts of a system to fighting. If you have a physical limitation, it would be silly to try to defend yourself with a moment that conflicts with that limitation. A good system/school will take that into account. The concepts and principles being taught will not change, but rather the way those concpets and pronciples get applied will change dependant upon each person. So getting it "right" means being able to operate the system to fit what you need at any particular time.

Just as an fyi, Chinese martial art schools are called "kwoon" or "kuen." "Dojo" is a Japanese term :)

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just as an fyi, Chinese martial art schools are called "kwoon" or "kuen." "Dojo" is a Japanese term :)

Um ... I knew that. :uhyeah:

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Their website goes into some depth about the merits of their children's classes, but it's a little short on a description of what their kung fu is:

Eh... still don't see a link, but ok.

Shaolin is about a catch all phrase as saying you're sick. Really? What'cha got? That type of thing. Hung Ga is a southern Shaolin system.

The kicks I worked on were just straight forward in front of my as I walked. I'm not sure how else to describe it, except that they referred to it as the Five Gates. Hope that helps.

Dunno about the Five Gates thing (again... depends on what it is you're doing), but it sounds like a toe kick or swing stretch. For now just work it as a stretch for your legs & lower back.

As for application... generally speaking... it's a low line kick -- ankles, knees, hips, groin, head when bent over, etc... You carry through like that for training purposes simply because the kick doesn't stop at impact, if anything it starts at impact. As for bending the knee... it depends, but the one thing that isn't there is a locked out knee. Never is & if you're told to lock your knee straight... I'd begin to wonder. Nothing in my CMA experience has ever shown me a joint on my body that was locked. Straight, solid, tight... sure, but never locked.

I don't want to blow it off, I just want to make sure I have the physical capacity to participate fully before I commit a lot of energy and money. When I first got the sciatica it was so bad that I was completely incapacitated for six weeks. I don't want to risk that again.

Well... most external (Shaolin, Hung Ga at your school for example) style are very athletic, if different from the methods to each other. There's always going to be a chance of aggrevating it, but also, there's a chance you may be able to strengthen & lengthen the body & muscles to where you're quite comfortable working it, but understand you'll never look like the 8 year kid in the corner doing splits. But then again...

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
My bad ... here ya go. They have a giant marquee that says RMA. When I first got to town it gave me a big thrill - a whole brick and mortar school just for Russian martial arts?! :fanboy: But the place has a great reputation, and I've been making a point lately of shopping around.

As you can see, my quote above is about as deep a description on the kung fu as they give. Maybe you can glean more from it than I can.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My bad ... here ya go. They have a giant marquee that says RMA. When I first got to town it gave me a big thrill - a whole brick and mortar school just for Russian martial arts?! :fanboy: But the place has a great reputation, and I've been making a point lately of shopping around.

As you can see, my quote above is about as deep a description on the kung fu as they give. Maybe you can glean more from it than I can.

Wow... talk about a commercial school website!!!

Easy things to ask if they'll give it to you & I don't know why they won't...

• Lineage --> Who taught the teacher? Who was his teacher? Etc... They should be able to go back several generations, but hopefully to the founder.
  • Sets --> What is taught? Empty hand & weapons.
  • Conditioning --> What hei gung (qi gong) is taught? What about body conditioning?
  • San da --> Free fighting.
  • Application & partner dilling
These things. If you can find that out, I (and others) can definitely comment more.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
clfsean has brought up interesting discussion points. If the school can't answer these questions and answer them to your satisfaction, run, don't walk, to the nearest exit.

Latest Discussions