Over kill Kicks

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What would be the most popular kick for S.D. principles, overall between all the styles. I would imagine a leg kick or a good knee. What does every one think?

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with leg kick, generally to the outside of the lead leg. Unless they are a martial artist, they generally won't expect it, as most people focus on the hands in a fight. It's also harder to block and defend against, again unless you are trained. It also has the added benefit of hindering your opponent's mobility so you can safely hoof it if the situation is dangerous. Plus, if the situation warrants it, it's not difficult to make this strike crippling.

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
so long as you don't telegraph,some people are keen to the shoulder drop,use your knee only when you are sure of placement and range,it helps to be limber too.and qwick

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Front snap kick to the knee. Knee cap then goes backwards, big ouch.
A stamp on the foot might not be a kick but works wonders.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score

I would only disagree because the targeting must be precise. A roundhouse kick to the side of the knee is just as disabling, and easier to pull off under pressure. It would be a bit slower than the front kick, though.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Good call but only if the knee is locked. If the knee is bent you won't cause much damage. There is no protection against a kick to the side of the knee.

In a real situation forget fancy, take out the leg or groin.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A quick front snap to the shin is my favorite distance weapon, knee strikes for close up...

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A low side kick in a stomping fashion to the opponents knee. It can be done very close to their inside or outside knee joint.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A good ole fashion foot stromp works well two.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A toe kick is a good one. It's very simple and you go for the shins. Another is the stomp kick where you go for the instep.

But being a martial artist, I prefer the low side kick for the knee and shin. If practiced alot, you can break a 2x4 with that kick and it does not matter where you hit the other guys leg, you will break it.

Deaf

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A toe kick is a good one. It's very simple and you go for the shins. Another is the stomp kick where you go for the instep.

But being a martial artist, I prefer the low side kick for the knee and shin. If practiced alot, you can break a 2x4 with that kick and it does not matter where you hit the other guys leg, you will break it.

Deaf

Can’t walk, only talk, words never hurt anyone, case closed.
icon12.gif

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like the idea of front kicking the kneecap, but the weapon to target accuracy on a moving target gives a lower probability of hitting home.

The roundhouse to the side of the leg is my choice. Easy to hit the target and it is extremely effective in a SD scenario.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I prefer a low heel kick to the shin , followed by a hook kick to the thigh . Its just like walking and can be done in 1 second or less .

Uchinanchu

Green Belt
Reaction score

Deaf
I'm afraid I must disagree with you on that last part. It depends on the type of individual you are kicking. Some (more like a few, thank God) can actually take the hardest kick you can throw, and not only take it, but look back at you with a grin on their face. Not only that, but your leg feels like it just came into contact with a steel pole!
As for the toe kick, it is best used against the softer regions of the body, such as the stomach or upper thigh area (in my experience and humble opinion).
Yoroshiku

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What would be the most popular kick for S.D. principles, overall between all the styles. I would imagine a leg kick or a good knee. What does every one think?
I would agree with a good leg kick to the knee region, or a quick front instep to the groin

B

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have to go with the good old front kick. From a slightly bladed stance, it can be delivered with the front or rear leg. Targets would be the groin or shin. Of course, slightly turning the foot could change that front kick to an arch kick and then into a stomp.

Something to keep in mind...the kick, depending on the target, probably won't cause enough damage to be considered a fight ender, but instead, something to cause enough pain and distraction to follow up with other kicks and/or strikes.

Now, my choice of kicks, does not mean that I'm taking anything away from a roundhouse or side kick. Alot is going to depend on the position that you're in prior to executing the kick. IMO, I don't want to telegraph anything or give the other person any clue as to what I am attempting.

snoack

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think a lot of this depends on how sharp your technique is, your quickness, location/distance to your optimal target, and what level of training your opponent may or may not have had.

Personally, I can stick a wheel/reverse hook kick on somebody's jaw or temple from a position inside of arm's length, or a good quick reverse side kick that will knock the wind out of them from the same distance. I prefer these because it's easy to create a sense of misdirection with them.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm afraid I must disagree with you on that last part. It depends on the type of individual you are kicking. Some (more like a few, thank God) can actually take the hardest kick you can throw, and not only take it, but look back at you with a grin on their face. Not only that, but your leg feels like it just came into contact with a steel pole!.

Yoroshiku,

I hope I never meet that individual cause I doubt any kick I do will really hurt them!

Deaf

astrobiologist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Guess I just fight dirty, because if someone's trying to rob or hurt me I'm going to plant one right in the groin hard and quick. After that, knees to the groin and abdomin, kicks to the knees and thighs, stomps on the ankles and feet... all become easy once they are stunned a little. As for kicking the shin to do damage, maybe when wearing shoes, but, even at that, there are many people who can take a good shin strike or ten. I think the shin will not be a primary low target on my list.

I think we're all pretty much in the same boat as far as the low kicks are concerned. Being able to do a back kick to someone's chest or a jump kick to their head does not make it an optimal approach. When it comes to fighting for my life or for what I know is right, then, for the most part, I'll stick to the ol' "legs strike low, arms strike high" when it comes to taking care of the situation.

Latest Discussions