what kind of kicks are/is this/these

jwU

White Belt
Reaction score
ive seen a few people do it and dont know if it has a 'special' name or if it's just like a combo of sorts.

Eg someone does a roundhouse and instead of putting the kicking leg back down, they re-chamber it and then perform a different kick. Seemed like an efficient way to untilise kicks though I figure there must be some downside/counter for it

also another technique I noticed:

they chamber their leg with the knee pointed to the opposite side of the body (i.e if chambering right leg, the knee is pointing left, or vice versa). they then bring the knee back to the natural side pof the biody and then kick form their..hard to describe but a good example is watching Francisco Filho . i saw some youtube footage where he does it.

Is this more of just a feint technique than a type/style of kick ?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Isshinryu uses a snapping kick for front kicks and roundhouse kicks - we call them mae geri and otoshi geri. Not sure which one you mean. The leg comes up, chambers by 'cocking' it under the knee (foot to one's own rump) and then snaps out explosively. Returns the same way - a second or third kick could be delivered in that manner. We also have a thrust kick where the foot is not rechambered immediately.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A lot of styles perform multiple kicks, so it's hard to say which one you're referring to.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In TKD we can throw multiple kicks after it being re-chamber like sidekick backswing, heel rack.

Tetsujin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
ive seen a few people do it and dont know if it has a 'special' name or if it's just like a combo of sorts.

Eg someone does a roundhouse and instead of putting the kicking leg back down, they re-chamber it and then perform a different kick. Seemed like an efficient way to untilise kicks though I figure there must be some downside/counter for it
Multiple kicks from chamber position? I think I may have heard someone somewhere refer to this as 'machine-gun' kicking, but other than that I don't know if it has a name as such.

They can be very fast and can bewilder an opponent, creating and exploiting gaps in his defense. The downside is that such kicks can lack power because it is much more difficult to put much hip rotation or body weight into them. And as for counters, you are much more vulnerable to takedowns and attacks against your supporting leg while you have only one foot on the ground.

also another technique I noticed:

they chamber their leg with the knee pointed to the opposite side of the body (i.e if chambering right leg, the knee is pointing left, or vice versa). they then bring the knee back to the natural side pof the biody and then kick form their..hard to describe but a good example is watching Francisco Filho . i saw some youtube footage where he does it.

Sounds like a side thrust kick chamber reversed to a roundhouse chamber and kick. Yes, that would be an example of a feint technique. Though I think what you're talking about is better described as a method of linking kicks together than a specific type/style of kick.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
You have a video of what you are talking about?

Kinda sounds like "machine gun kicking" to me. If it is, its nothing spceial.

Skpotamus

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Multiple kicking: Can be great for point fighting, but I've never seen anyone get much power out of it in kickboxing. It pretty much makes the kick a quadriceps only movement, meaning you lose your hips, torso and momentum in the kick itself.

RE: Filho kick
Are you talking about the infamous "Brazilian kick?" A round kick from a front kick chamber?

It's a great way to sneak in an angular kick with a linear deception. Rick Roufus had a great one he pulled off on Stan Longinidus a few years ago, knocked stan the man down. Filho and Feitosa use it quite well.

It's actually in a lot of TMA's and is a standard kick in Kyokushin Karate if I'm not mistaken. They started calling it the Brazilian Kick because of Filho and Feitosa (both brazilians) using it in K1.

Last edited by a moderator:

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first feint technique as a newbie, was a chamber for a front kick. Once my leg was up in position and I got the appropriate reaction from my opponent, I would pivot into the round house kick. In days of old, Bill super foot Wallace had a trade mark of multiple kicks from the chamber.

matt_mcg

White Belt
Reaction score
Savate uses the same initial chamber for both front kicks and round kicks. It's also good form to chamber high even if you intend to deliver the kick low. The initial chamber doesn't telegraph the kick.

The 'brazilian' kick shown in those vids looks pretty much like a savate kick [with a few minor variations].

Latest Discussions