Most effective kicks

D

Disco

Ran into this question elsewhere and thought it would be a good subject here.
This was one of the answers and more than a few agreed with it.

Most effective kick in training= front kick, either thrusting or snapping.
Most effective kick in combat= none
Most effective leg technique in combat= knee strikes to groin, pelvis, thighs, and head (to doubled-over target)

What's your viewpoints?......... :idunno:

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
um...kicks are good in combat if you can kick well and can keep your balence, other wise your just asking for a beating.

All of your targets for a kick in combat are correct i belive. no kick higher than the soler plexus and if doubled over in a real fight that you are in control of, give the guy sometime to leave. In the end thats all you want him to do anyways, don't try and finish him of or knock him out. use least force necessary. But if necessary kick him in the head and knock him out, but rememmber the legs are natrally stronger than the arms and you take a very large risk on killing your opponent accedentally. So be careful. unless that is what your going for.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree...

Most effective kick in "training"= front leg axe-100 makes you strong and makes front kicks alot easier.

Most effective kick in combat= don't do combat but in self defense= side kick to the knee to break

Agree with this though...
Most effective leg technique in self defense= knee strikes to groin, pelvis, thighs, and head (to doubled-over target)

TW

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most effectine kick in training Push kick or axe will get your opponate off you

In Combat none of them

Self defense front leg snap to the side of the knee to bloww it out. Why get close enough for a knee to the goin front leg snap or low roundhouse will blow out the knee no knee no walk.
Eyecrazy.gif

OP
D

Disco

Seems to be a dichotomy here.......Just what is the difference between "combat" and "self-defense"? People in general want to differentiate............

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Combat-oppose in battle. I prefer not to battle just defend and just end the threat asap. Once an attacker is in my space, sideklck (or round or front but sidekick is safer) to the knee would end it before it got started. TW

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Self Defense

NOUN:

Defense of oneself when physically attacked: took a course in self-defense.
Defense of what belongs to oneself, as one's works or reputation.
Law The right to protect oneself against violence or threatened violence with whatever force or means are reasonably necessary.

Combat

VERB:
tr.

To oppose in battle; fight against.
To oppose vigorously; struggle against. See Synonyms at oppose.
VERB:
intr.

To engage in fighting; contend or struggle.
NOUN:
(kmbt)
Fighting, especially armed battle; strife. See Synonyms at conflict

As for the original question: Everything has its time and place. Some kicks are better suited than others in certain situations. Its up to the person throwing them to know when that time is right.

Mike

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
As for the original question: Everything has its time and place. Some kicks are better suited than others in certain situations. Its up to the person throwing them to know when that time is right.

Mike

I can agree with this. There aren't techniques that are more effective than others, merely opportunities that you have to train to ancipate and take advantage of using whatever technique would work best. Personally speaking, I prefer circular combos, so I'll never solely fall back on any one kick or strike.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have found the oblique kick to the knee or shin to be pretty useful as a distraction, when it presents itself. I like it because its low and quick, thus enabling me to be back on two feet pretty quickly. If it works to drop the guard, or distract the opponent in any way, its done the job.

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
it all depends on what you are kicking. if you want to knock the guy out or at least attempt to the face or head always works well... if you are trying to take the guy down the legs or mid riff works too.

i prefer the side kick for power and the front snap kick for speed. although i'm not saying my other kicks are slow!;)

peace

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
For close quaters nothing beats a good front kick and strikes to the thighs with your knees.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Most effective kick in free fighting: roundhouse/half roundhouse(offense); back side kick (defense)
Most effective kick for self defense: side kick to ribs

If kicks are ineffective in combat, why practice them? Practice kicking FOR combat or self defense.

OP
O

OC Kid

I prefer the thai style round kicks low aimed at the thigh inside or out side for offensive kicking. Defensive rear for well defense.

OP
R

red_herring

My viewpoint is that everything can be effective.The reason why people belive that kicking in a street situation is stupid is that alot of people(like myself)can't kick.Kicking is alot harder to learn then punching and grabbling.So why bother?
Tho some people can kick very well even without training.I know a young man who has done no propper training, but he can kick very well, but he can't punch.
It depends what is more natural to use for some one.If you have strong legs and flexibility then you have a good basis to kick.If you have 4 strong arms then you punch:rolleyes:

H.F.

RanaHarmamelda

Orange Belt
Reaction score
For spariing, I find my round kick to the thighs/ribs works the best, followed by the side kick to the gut -- for more self defense purposes, the front kick, done to the knee, is an interesting alternative. *shrug*

The best? the one you can do without getting yourself hurt. *grin*