Outrageous prices,

Ito-okita

Yellow Belt
Joined
Sep 20, 2004
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Location
Tongeren, Belgium
Hey guys, I've just been browsing some of the sponsors websites here and what outrageous prices some charge for their classes! I pay 9 euro a month for my jujutsu class. This is 2 times 1.5 hours a week. No extra money for tests or anything, you just pay the belt, 7 euro or something ,with that you get a free certificate of your rank too. Annually I pay about 11 euro insurance and a once in your lifetime contibution of 5 euro to the federation to get your budo pass. And for this money our sensei throws in free cookies after class!!! When we go train in another club or do a seminar, sensei always buys all of us at least a drink or two and all entry fees are paid from the 9 euro we pay every month. And the best thing when you allready paid you 9 euro but you cant make it to class for some reason he'll charge you less next month. This was much the same in my TaeKwonDo class although that was a bit more expensive but not much. How come that some people have the nerve to ask up to 150 dollar for a month and ask additional test fees ? You wouldn't have one student in Belgium if you acted like that here I think.
 

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2003
Messages
30,187
Reaction score
427
Location
Cromwell,CT
Prices will range from state to state, city to city, and art to art. I've seen some that are definately more expensive than others. One thing that I have a question about is this statement. Maybe you can clarify it for me. You said:


No extra money for tests or anything, you just pay the belt, 7 euro or something ,with that you get a free certificate of your rank too.

In a way, you are paying for the test by having to pay for the belt.

Mike
 
OP
Ito-okita

Ito-okita

Yellow Belt
Joined
Sep 20, 2004
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Location
Tongeren, Belgium
I mean sensei asks if you want to go over to the store yourself and buy a belt, or should he go over to the store and buy you one. Since he has a discount at that store it's cheaper to have him buy it. I've been to that store too and indeed a belt costs a bit over 7 euro. What I mean is, you don't have to pay sensei extra just to have him take your test.
 

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Joined
Aug 4, 2001
Messages
47,249
Reaction score
767
Location
Land of the Free
I know people that charge almost nothing, and people that charge $200US per month, + test fees.

A lot is the market (Europe, especially Sweden, and I believe Finland are incredibly low price by US standards). Some is the quality of the instructor. (Some of our sponsors are leaders in their fields, and thereby are at a higher rate level than the average school).

My school (The one I attend) has what I'd say is a mid-range rate, and testing is included in the monthly fees. There are both higher and lower in our local market.
 
OP
Ito-okita

Ito-okita

Yellow Belt
Joined
Sep 20, 2004
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Location
Tongeren, Belgium
Sure thing Kaith but I believe that if you pay 100+ dollar your sensei/sifu/guru might as well take your tests for free, what I really dislike is that tests get more expensive the higher the rank is. I taught for free some years ago, and the pupils all chipped in to pay the rent for the dojo, I even paid my part and my bus ticket from my own pocket. I believe with this high rates you get the feeling they're really in it for the money and not the art. I'm not generalizing, and maybe you guys and girls in the US make more money than us in Europe so 100+ dollars isn't that big a deal but at those prices a lot of us here in Belgium couldn't afford MA training.
 

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Joined
Aug 4, 2001
Messages
47,249
Reaction score
767
Location
Land of the Free
Trust me, at those prices alot of us here can't afford the training either. :)
 
OP
Ito-okita

Ito-okita

Yellow Belt
Joined
Sep 20, 2004
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Location
Tongeren, Belgium
Sure thought so Kaith, So you guys also have smaller clubs that teach at moderate prices and still offer quality training. My TKD club was one of the better in Belgium, several members were in our national team and we did well in competitions, but it still was under 20 euro a month. So that was quality at a decent price.
 

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2003
Messages
30,187
Reaction score
427
Location
Cromwell,CT
Ito-okita said:
Sure thing Kaith but I believe that if you pay 100+ dollar your sensei/sifu/guru might as well take your tests for free, what I really dislike is that tests get more expensive the higher the rank is. I taught for free some years ago, and the pupils all chipped in to pay the rent for the dojo, I even paid my part and my bus ticket from my own pocket. I believe with this high rates you get the feeling they're really in it for the money and not the art. I'm not generalizing, and maybe you guys and girls in the US make more money than us in Europe so 100+ dollars isn't that big a deal but at those prices a lot of us here in Belgium couldn't afford MA training.

Again, like Kaith and I said...it all comes down to who you're training under, and where you're training. Are you training with Rickson Gracie or one of his Black Belts? Of course, if you're taking a lesson with Rickson, you're going to be paying more, due to the instructor. Its no different than buying a Chevy Corvette and a Chevy Cavalier. Higher performance car vs. a lower performance car. I have trained at some schools where you paid for every test and for each test, the fee went up, because you were testing for a higher rank.

In addition, depending on what art it is and if there is anyone else in the area offering that same art, you may end up paying more.

Mike
 

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2003
Messages
30,187
Reaction score
427
Location
Cromwell,CT
Ito-okita said:
Sure thought so Kaith, So you guys also have smaller clubs that teach at moderate prices and still offer quality training. My TKD club was one of the better in Belgium, several members were in our national team and we did well in competitions, but it still was under 20 euro a month. So that was quality at a decent price.

Absolutely!!! My Arnis inst. has a small group, but his classes are awesome and I'm getting some great material. One thing to keep in mind...you don't always have to go to the flashiest place to get the best material. I get together with one of my training partners at his house and again, I get a great workout and learn some great material!!!

Mike
 
OP
Ito-okita

Ito-okita

Yellow Belt
Joined
Sep 20, 2004
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Location
Tongeren, Belgium
It's a pitty though that for all people that are worth the money there are more that aren't. But since they can put up high prices, the con-artists can do so too and people might think 'cause prices are high they're getting top-level budo.
 

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2003
Messages
30,187
Reaction score
427
Location
Cromwell,CT
Ito-okita said:
It's a pitty though that for all people that are worth the money there are more that aren't. But since they can put up high prices, the con-artists can do so too and people might think 'cause prices are high they're getting top-level budo.

And thats why its important to do some research before investing that hard earned money into a MA program!!! Certainly nothing wrong with shopping around a little bit before making a decision.

Mike
 

Satt

Black Belt
Joined
Oct 31, 2004
Messages
535
Reaction score
22
Location
Tennessee
I'm a newbie so the only thing I know so far is that in To-Shin Do the testing fee is $45. I am fine with that. I don't think that is too high. I am doing the long-distance thing so I just buy the videos for $85 each and then the testing fees. I just started a few months ago and am testing for my first belt in about a month.
 

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Joined
Aug 4, 2001
Messages
47,249
Reaction score
767
Location
Land of the Free
I've seen alot of different instructors in my limited travels. Some I look at and think "Wow, he's really giving it away."...others I think 'Overpriced and overhyped"
It would be really nice if the real quality folks could earn livings at this, y'know?

:)
 

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Joined
May 17, 2004
Messages
6,785
Reaction score
65
Location
The Canuckistan Plains
Kaith Rustaz said:
I've seen alot of different instructors in my limited travels. Some I look at and think "Wow, he's really giving it away."...others I think 'Overpriced and overhyped"
It would be really nice if the real quality folks could earn livings at this, y'know?

:)
I have to really agree with this. If they're teaching quality stuff, they ought to be rewarded for bringing that to the table.

My instructor needs to spend a lot of money to further his own instruction. Where we are, there are no other people even remotely close that could provide him with instruciton in Modern Arnis. He needs to travel, or bring in Datu for seminars. These things add to his cost base. I am of the opinion that once someone is teaching, they ought ot at least make enough money to cover all their expenses, including their own training expenses. It's all about the state of the local market.
 

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2003
Messages
30,187
Reaction score
427
Location
Cromwell,CT
Flatlander said:
I have to really agree with this. If they're teaching quality stuff, they ought to be rewarded for bringing that to the table.

My instructor needs to spend a lot of money to further his own instruction. Where we are, there are no other people even remotely close that could provide him with instruciton in Modern Arnis. He needs to travel, or bring in Datu for seminars. These things add to his cost base. I am of the opinion that once someone is teaching, they ought ot at least make enough money to cover all their expenses, including their own training expenses. It's all about the state of the local market.

Well said Sir! I was trying to find the right words to say the same thing!!

Mike
 
OP
Ito-okita

Ito-okita

Yellow Belt
Joined
Sep 20, 2004
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Location
Tongeren, Belgium
I agree that you should get your expenses back as a teacher. But I think 100+ dollar per student, per month + testing fees will surely do that :) At that price you can get private lessons over here!
 

Latest Discussions

Top