Testing fees

• Thread starter foggymorning162
  • Start date

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
OK the thread about what do you pay got me thinking because most of the schools around here are pretty comparable in price our school only differs in the fact that we don't use contracts, but I've heard of some pretty outrageous testing fees so I was wondering what everyone else pays?

Gup test $20
BB test $50
I've been told MB don't pay to test?

We have four belts at our goju school: white, green,brown, and black. There are no testing fees for any of them.

To us, testing is merely a formality. Classes are generally small and we can see where each student is. I really don't see a need for a test. When the student is ready we have a formal testing ceremony,but no student is 'tested' until they are ready.

I also kind of look down on those schools with many belts and clubs with all the extra fees to go along with them. Business and MA do not mix imo.

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Granted, there are schools that high fees to test and earn dan certification that are not worth the paper they're printed on. And there are some, like ours, where a certificate and belt are very valuable. Again, if you charge nothing for a test, belt, and certificate, it most likely ain't going to be very good. My instructor has put 50 years into Taekwondo and gone all over the world. Expensive? Maybe. Worth it? You betcha. I wouldn't want to certified through anyone else.
You can have your $5 tests and $5 organizations. If you want gourmet food from a top of the line restaurant you have to pay for it.

This is far from rational imo. There are many instructors out there with vast amounts of experience that would rip you off in a heartbeat!

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK the thread about what do you pay got me thinking because most of the schools around here are pretty comparable in price our school only differs in the fact that we don't use contracts, but I've heard of some pretty outrageous testing fees so I was wondering what everyone else pays?

Wado: 30$

Ju Jutsu: 20$ (BB test is free)

Kenjutsu: 50$ (100$ for Dan test)

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
shodan ho test fee is $100 because sensei has Kyoshi come down and observe the testing and give corrections. the fee helps defray the costs of kyoshi's travel.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Part of the money goes to the Kukkiwon (for Dan tests). Part of the money, if the testing is held at Central Studio, goes to our Grandmaster because it's his organization and name.
However, he takes a big portion of that money and treats the present masters (usually about 20-25) to the local 5-star restaurant (about $50-60 per person). He could pocket the money or treat us to a cheap restaurant but he wouldn't get good judges that way. He'd get $5 judges.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
At my school testing fees start at $25 for Yellow and increase by $5 each belt.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Part of the money goes to the Kukkiwon (for Dan tests). Part of the money, if the testing is held at Central Studio, goes to our Grandmaster because it's his organization and name.
However, he takes a big portion of that money and treats the present masters (usually about 20-25) to the local 5-star restaurant (about $50-60 per person). He could pocket the money or treat us to a cheap restaurant but he wouldn't get good judges that way. He'd get $5 judges.

I'm not sure why one would need 25 judges present for a test unless this is one of those huge money maker events where hundreds are testing at once.

<shrugs> When I graded to nidan in Okinawan goju-ryu karate, I had five black belts present, two at master instructor level, and I thought that was fairly elaborate. They were there to evaluate 2 people, me and a sandan candidate.

Different strokes for different folks. I prefer a more intimate, familial based martial art structure.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Our Grandmaster has, in the past, been offered $10,000 and up to sign for various instructors or their students, Korean and American. I'm not making this up. That's how valuable his reputation is. To those instructors he has told them no because he felt he didn't want to be associated with them. How many people would turn down $10,000 to recommend someone? But once you've signed away your integrity it's just about impossible to get it back.
The Central Studio often has 20-25 judges, 4th Dan to 7th Dan, because all Instructors are welcome to judge there. The various satellite schools will have half that number.

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
Our Grandmaster has, in the past, been offered $10,000 and up to sign for various instructors or their students, Korean and American. I'm not making this up. That's how valuable his reputation is. To those instructors he has told them no because he felt he didn't want to be associated with them. How many people would turn down $10,000 to recommend someone? But once you've signed away your integrity it's just about impossible to get it back.
The Central Studio often has 20-25 judges, 4th Dan to 7th Dan, because all Instructors are welcome to judge there. The various satellite schools will have half that number.

I'd like to have a choice as to whether I shouted people to dinner with my grading money. So what exactly does a grading cost (coloured and black)???? Who is your Grandmaster???

Cheers
Sam:asian:

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score

You guys are getting so ripped!!

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
never heard of him

edited to add, thats ok, cuz i am not KKW and dont want to be. So I have no reason to have heard of the guy. I mean, everyone has heard of Jhoon Rhee and Hee Il Cho, but no one but KKW people really know the KKW folks, for the most part.

Particiarly when every Korean that came to the states in the 70's claimed to be a high ranking guy that was the korean army champion, and what not

Last edited:

thesandman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We all need to be very careful how we react to information like this. How much anyone charges for anything is reflective of so many different variables it's hard to know what's causing what. Additionally, there's only one measuring stick that matters: Are the students getting good training and do they feel it's worth what they're paying. Personally, I've never understood people who thought that their training should be free or even cheap. It is hopefully affordable, but why judge someone simply because they ask for money?

I for instance charge what I think is a fairly reasonable price. I ask for no contracts, no advanced payment. I have dedicated my life to my art and to it's teaching, I don't think it unreasonable that I make enough to live off of doing it. I don't have a "day job". I train and I teach. That's all I do. I provide a service that people value greatly. Why would anyone judge me because I want to be able to pay my rent and car insurance? I'm not asking to live in a mansion and drive a BMW, just for enough to live.

Too many people in the martial arts try to label "profit" like it's some kind of dirty word. Yes, it can get out of hand. Greedy people exist in every industry. Some schools do in fact charge an arm and a leg and can seem like belt factories. The good news is, those places fail more often than not because word spreads. People don't feel like their getting their moneys worth and they move on.

Boggles my mind that people would think that paying $30k/yr for college is fine, but more than $5/class for martial arts is a rip off.

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In TKD, gup tests started at $40 and increased to $65 maybe more. Test every two months. there were three pretests for black belt at $75 each. I believe the black belt test was another $300 - $400. I think I made it to 2 gup before I quit going. Between the fees and some other things, it was becoming to much about money and not enough about quality training.

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In TKD, gup tests started at $40 and increased to $65 maybe more. Test every two months. there were three pretests for black belt at $75 each. I believe the black belt test was another $300 - $400. I think I made it to 2 gup before I quit going. Between the fees and some other things, it was becoming to much about money and not enough about quality training.

Pay for pre-tests!! pfffttt.....

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
never heard of him

edited to add, thats ok, cuz i am not KKW and dont want to be. So I have no reason to have heard of the guy. I mean, everyone has heard of Jhoon Rhee and Hee Il Cho, but no one but KKW people really know the KKW folks, for the most part.

Particiarly when every Korean that came to the states in the 70's claimed to be a high ranking guy that was the korean army champion, and what not

That's because he's never been on a magazine cover, written a book, made a video, or otherwise prostituted the art. Otherwise, anything he's done is documented.
I've looked up his Kukkiwon rank btw, and it is documented. But if you've never head of him that's fine.
If you Google him, you'll find links to some of his students' websites.