Thoughts on belt testing fees

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
FYI: Yes, Arizona is a "Right to work state". Unions exist, but are generally very weak, expensive to belong to, and pretty ineffective at influencing anything at the district or state level. Last year, we had a massive "Red for Ed" march and demonstration which shut down the schools for a week. But that was a broad grass roots movement supported by educators of all stripes (and secretly by many administrators) -not specifically a union thing. Unfortunately, many of the promises for raises, reduced class size, and so forth never materialized after the teachers returned to the classrooms.
Let me guess: administrators are getting a decent raise every year, they’re getting good retirement benefits, and there’s more of them than ever before, right? NYS is awful in this regard. A ton of schools have cut positions, the newer contracts have more benefit cuts to them (previous hires are grandfathered in); yet they keep adding admin positions and keeping their benefits and raise percentages. They don’t bring back teaching positions that were “temporarily cut” and unfilled after retirements despite their revenue increase, yet they’re adding administrators. My wife teaches at a smaller high school (about 600 students). There are about 8 positions that remain unfilled at her school (several more at the elementary school too) while the district is allegedly waiting for revenue to increase to fill those positions. The new contract’s raise percentages are lower. Yet the administrators have taken about double the percentage of raises the faculty and staff have gotten. And somehow they’ve created 5 new positions for themselves and a few support staff positions for themselves as well. One of my favorite moves was they created a position oft a guy who retired from a different district. He worked for 3 years, made more money than the highest tiered teachers, and keeps his free family heath insurance plan for life. That was the same year 3 core subject teachers retired and the district didn’t have enough money to fill any of their positions. And they still haven’t 5 years after that guy left, but they’re working on it while creating 2 more new admin positions in the same amount of time.

Gotta love it.

At least there were hardly any administrators at my private school. All we had was a principal; the rest worked in the diocese central office and weren’t paid much more than the teachers. But everyone’s salaries were horrendous. Adjusting and work day hours for the 12 month schedule vs 10 for teachers, admin made less. Over my 8 years there, I got a raise 5 times although I was contractually supposed to get one every year. The most I got was 2% even though the contract stipulated at least 3.5%. Every year we were told they’ll catch up to the contract next year, yet it never happened. When I left I was making almost $4k less than what I was contractually supposed to be making, not including the previous years’ money I lost out on. And every year positions were either eliminated or weren’t filled after people left (retirement or found other jobs). They started combining grades in all special areas and even a few grade levels grades 5 & 6 are in one classroom with one teacher as are grades 3 & 4. Even after the number of teachers has dwindled, the salaries have still stayed the same and raises haven’t been nearly what they’re supposed to be. Enrollment has stayed virtually the same after a big hit several years ago, and tuition has gone up more than salaries have. And the outside the classroom expectations and number of hours have increased significantly.

I visited a few friends last week to catch up. They asked me if I missed it. Simple reply: Not at all. I miss my coworkers and the students, but nothing else. It’s so much different working for a company that treats me very well. Funny thing is a lot of people at my current job have no clue how great they have it. They haven’t been where a lot of other people have been.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Let me guess: administrators are getting a decent raise every year, they’re getting good retirement benefits, and there’s more of them than ever before, right? NYS is awful in this regard. A ton of schools have cut positions, the newer contracts have more benefit cuts to them (previous hires are grandfathered in); yet they keep adding admin positions and keeping their benefits and raise percentages. They don’t bring back teaching positions that were “temporarily cut” and unfilled after retirements despite their revenue increase, yet they’re adding administrators. My wife teaches at a smaller high school (about 600 students). There are about 8 positions that remain unfilled at her school (several more at the elementary school too) while the district is allegedly waiting for revenue to increase to fill those positions. The new contract’s raise percentages are lower. Yet the administrators have taken about double the percentage of raises the faculty and staff have gotten. And somehow they’ve created 5 new positions for themselves and a few support staff positions for themselves as well. One of my favorite moves was they created a position oft a guy who retired from a different district. He worked for 3 years, made more money than the highest tiered teachers, and keeps his free family heath insurance plan for life. That was the same year 3 core subject teachers retired and the district didn’t have enough money to fill any of their positions. And they still haven’t 5 years after that guy left, but they’re working on it while creating 2 more new admin positions in the same amount of time.

Gotta love it.

At least there were hardly any administrators at my private school. All we had was a principal; the rest worked in the diocese central office and weren’t paid much more than the teachers. But everyone’s salaries were horrendous. Adjusting and work day hours for the 12 month schedule vs 10 for teachers, admin made less. Over my 8 years there, I got a raise 5 times although I was contractually supposed to get one every year. The most I got was 2% even though the contract stipulated at least 3.5%. Every year we were told they’ll catch up to the contract next year, yet it never happened. When I left I was making almost $4k less than what I was contractually supposed to be making, not including the previous years’ money I lost out on. And every year positions were either eliminated or weren’t filled after people left (retirement or found other jobs). They started combining grades in all special areas and even a few grade levels grades 5 & 6 are in one classroom with one teacher as are grades 3 & 4. Even after the number of teachers has dwindled, the salaries have still stayed the same and raises haven’t been nearly what they’re supposed to be. Enrollment has stayed virtually the same after a big hit several years ago, and tuition has gone up more than salaries have. And the outside the classroom expectations and number of hours have increased significantly.

I visited a few friends last week to catch up. They asked me if I missed it. Simple reply: Not at all. I miss my coworkers and the students, but nothing else. It’s so much different working for a company that treats me very well. Funny thing is a lot of people at my current job have no clue how great they have it. They haven’t been where a lot of other people have been.

Wow. That is a sad state of affairs. I suppose I am in the naive camp that thought there was a government structure that had most of the things you mentioned locked down and defined. If what you describe is nationwide, no wonder public schools are in such a mess.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wow. That is a sad state of affairs. I suppose I am in the naive camp that thought there was a government structure that had most of the things you mentioned locked down and defined. If what you describe is nationwide, no wonder public schools are in such a mess.
Class size, staff size, and the like are all collective bargaining agreements, not state mandates. Exception is special ed and phys ed. And each school district has their own collective bargaining agreement. NYSUT (NYS United Teachers) helps and backs the school district unions, but each district union negotiates their own contract.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
One last thought on the subject... NYS is one of the best states to be a public school teacher. If that gives you any indication of the state of the profession.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
One last thought on the subject... NYS is one of the best states to be a public school teacher. If that gives you any indication of the state of the profession.
Yea, I just felt worse about the situation. Makes me thankful our son is finished with school.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yea, I just felt worse about the situation. Makes me thankful our son is finished with school.
Maybe I should amend it and say NYS has one of the best pay scales and benefits packages for teachers. Working conditions are a different matter.

Some schools are great places to work. Those are becoming far fewer and further in between though. If it’s not the students, it’s the administration. If it’s not them, it’s the community at large. My wife’s school has it bad, admin and student-wise. I know the intricacies because we both went to school there, graduating in ‘94 and’92 (we weren’t high school sweethearts); I worked there for a year as a split appointment TA and teacher; she’s been teaching there for 10 years now. We know what it was and what its become. And we have a pretty good idea where it’ll go. Needless to say, it’s gone pretty far downhill. And it’s only getting worse. The administration is completely incompetent and brings in more incompetence year after year. Anyone who’s been good has left in quick fashion. The decisions the administration has made will make you sick. They treat the faculty and staff like absolute garbage.

I know people who work in allegedly great districts. They’ve got it better, but they’ve also got their fair share of headaches. Different headaches, but the end result is the same.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I’m very opinionated. I have many pet peeves. But my biggest peeve concerns school teachers. Teachers should be the highest paid profession this country has or ever will have.

They are the shapers of our future.

God, I had some wonderful teachers in school.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’m very opinionated. I have many pet peeves. But my biggest peeve concerns school teachers. Teachers should be the highest paid profession this country has or ever will have.

They are the shapers of our future.

God, I had some wonderful teachers in school.
I don’t know about the highest paid. I’d put police/LEO, firefighters, and soldiers in that camp. But I totally agree with your rationale. And not because my bias of being a former teacher and being married to a teacher.

My brother in law was in the Air Force, was a corrections officer, and is now a NYS Trooper. He makes good money now, but he’s still underpaid and will always be for what is risks and responsibilities are. And he was grossly underpaid in his previous jobs in that regard.

But then again, when was the last time a LEO, firefighter, soldier or teacher sold out Yankee Stadium for an average of a couple hundred bucks a ticket by doing their day to day work?

All IMO.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Exactly. It all starts with the children having good inspirational teachers.
I believe the children are our future. Teach them well and let them lead the way. Show them all the beauty they possess inside.