Extra Charges @ Your School?

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I love that idea!
You are still paying though!
Its just incorporated in the tuition fee!
That is a nice way to break it out though and it sends a good message that you don't just buy ranking!

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Our main dojang charges for everything, it seems. The tuition is rather high. No belt test fees till BB, though. They charge for sparring gear, "seminars" (in-school ones), and special events. If you want to be in this "excellence club" that is extra a month. If you want to do Tai Chi on top of TKD, that's extra. They also have this "masters club" thing that teaches stuff we don't normally learn in class, that is way expensive. Of course there's tourny fees and such, but it's rather cheap for this area ($35 for two events).

I switched to a sister school. Much cheaper in tuition ($45 a month), and that's pretty much it (except fees for gear, which I already have, so no worries there. And the normal tourny fees through the main dojang, which is cheap anyways). So I don't pay for anything except tuition until I test for BB (through the main dojang, which can get expensive as well. My instructor has no control over that though).

Jujitsu is free. I just had to buy my own uniform. When I test, I have to buy my own belt, but that's it.

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:
Our main dojang charges for everything, it seems. The tuition is rather high. No belt test fees till BB, though. They charge for sparring gear, "seminars" (in-school ones), and special events. If you want to be in this "excellence club" that is extra a month. If you want to do Tai Chi on top of TKD, that's extra. They also have this "masters club" thing that teaches stuff we don't normally learn in class, that is way expensive. Of course there's tourny fees and such, but it's rather cheap for this area ($35 for two events).

I switched to a sister school. Much cheaper in tuition ($45 a month), and that's pretty much it (except fees for gear, which I already have, so no worries there. And the normal tourny fees through the main dojang, which is cheap anyways). So I don't pay for anything except tuition until I test for BB (through the main dojang, which can get expensive as well. My instructor has no control over that though).

Jujitsu is free. I just had to buy my own uniform. When I test, I have to buy my own belt, but that's it.

Most of the fee's i can undrstand. The excellence and the master's club is what I have the problem with.

With posts in here regarding that side of it I can understand but to me it comes off as "more money you pay...the more knowledge you get" Then every student isnt on the same path. You discriminate based on money.
I couldnt see myself teaching the "poorer" kids one thing and teaching "the rich kids" more stuff just b/c they can afford it.

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
hmmm ok I figured that most of this stuff was normal as to what you all have posted.

ok I have a issue and maybe some different perspectives on this can help me sort out somethings.

A particular school does teach specifically one thing but rather several MA (I dont know why they just dont call themselves a MMA school but whatever)

1) Now, they have of course tuition which to me is kinda high with all the schools here but ok. No sparring is allowed and basics are really taught.

2) They also though have a "club" for those students who are more serious. More in depth training, sparring is allowed and all. To be in this "club" of course your monthly tuition is higher.

Does this kinda of rub you the wrong way? *cough* McDojo *cough*

RUN AWAY!!!! AND DON'T LOOK BACK!

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
Most of the fee's i can undrstand. The excellence and the master's club is what I have the problem with.

With posts in here regarding that side of it I can understand but to me it comes off as "more money you pay...the more knowledge you get" Then every student isnt on the same path. You discriminate based on money.
I couldnt see myself teaching the "poorer" kids one thing and teaching "the rich kids" more stuff just b/c they can afford it.

Exactly!

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Greetings,

We charge a flat fee for classes and testing, students provide all their own materials. We volunteer as coaches when they desire to go to tournaments, but they pay their own fees there as well.