LEO familes and domestic violence: top cop beaten by son

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090424/NEWS01/304249905

I declined posting this earlier when it was in the newspaper, but since there has been a lot of recent discussion about LEOs and public perceptions of LEOs, perhaps this a good opportunity to bring the subject up.

A 65 y.o. former police chief is tied to a chair, and beaten repeatedly in the face, fracturing many face bones. The perpetrator is alleged to be his 42 y.o. son, who told authorities his father "tortured him for 42 years."

The son was taken for a psych eval and is awaiting trial. Members of the family say the son needs a lot of mental health.

The story is a long read, but it brings up a number of points.

Was it a copycat crime? Seven years ago, a NH chief justice was savagely beaten by his son who was wielding a guitar. The chief justice suffered a break or fracture in practically every bone in his face.

The story mentions how domestic violence is higher in LEO families, although the officer is not necessarily the violent perpetrator.

In the reader comments, there are many that come out in support of the former chief. Others blame the chief for the son's actions (a lifetime of controlling behaviour, etc).

Is domestic violence in law enforcement a "dirty little secret", as one reader complained?

One reader wonders how many times the son was beaten as a child in order for him to strike back the way he did.

Another reader complains that the police beat people without facing charges, therefore the son should not face charges for beating his dad.

Another reader says "If this kid has mental problems then he probably broke the law more than a few times, it's nice to know that you can break the law but because your father is a police officer and has connections you can have a clean record. How fair is that to the rest of us who go to jail on the first offense?" and then blames the father for his own injuries, saying the father should have cut the son loose awhile ago.

Thoughts?

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't believe violence is always physical. For it to get physical in an overly destructive way, i think it need be quite nasty.
Violence begets violence. I think that is obvious, but for many, they don't even see it coming before it is too late. It like people that are handling fire without knowing that fire is hot and has the ability to burn. Or is it that they are calling on themselves, provoking until someone snaps... what IS the point?

how about blaming it on a curse?? Like the amytyville horror incident which left noone alive.

I think, it's not like there are sick people and healthy people, rich or poor...whilst riches can help to secure oneself and poverty is sure to bring a host of struggles, when it comes down to it, anyone not well grounded that is provoked pushed and pushed, can snap.
Just look at the nonsense stars get themselves into. All their riches don't prevent them from finding constructive ways of dealing with or tollerating certain situations.

Also, not sure if it would be brainwashing or correction, but somewhat against their will initially, taking enough time or moving strategically, one can make even nasty heartless people into citizens with morals. Sortof like sokusho bodai. The proof of enlightenment. That the ignorant can become knowledgable, the lazy diligent and the greedy can come to make offerings etc etc....
sortof reminds me of the movie clockwork orange. Now that is one disturbing movie i find.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090424/NEWS01/304249905

I declined posting this earlier when it was in the newspaper, but since there has been a lot of recent discussion about LEOs and public perceptions of LEOs, perhaps this a good opportunity to bring the subject up.

A 65 y.o. former police chief is tied to a chair, and beaten repeatedly in the face, fracturing many face bones. The perpetrator is alleged to be his 42 y.o. son, who told authorities his father "tortured him for 42 years."

The son was taken for a psych eval and is awaiting trial. Members of the family say the son needs a lot of mental health.

The story is a long read, but it brings up a number of points.

Was it a copycat crime? Seven years ago, a NH chief justice was savagely beaten by his son who was wielding a guitar. The chief justice suffered a break or fracture in practically every bone in his face.

The story mentions how domestic violence is higher in LEO families, although the officer is not necessarily the violent perpetrator.

In the reader comments, there are many that come out in support of the former chief. Others blame the chief for the son's actions (a lifetime of controlling behaviour, etc).

Is domestic violence in law enforcement a "dirty little secret", as one reader complained?

One reader wonders how many times the son was beaten as a child in order for him to strike back the way he did.

Another reader complains that the police beat people without facing charges, therefore the son should not face charges for beating his dad.

Another reader says "If this kid has mental problems then he probably broke the law more than a few times, it's nice to know that you can break the law but because your father is a police officer and has connections you can have a clean record. How fair is that to the rest of us who go to jail on the first offense?" and then blames the father for his own injuries, saying the father should have cut the son loose awhile ago.

Thoughts?
I love how the readers know jack crap about the situation, but make assumption after assumption not even remotely supported by the situation, just plucked out of the air or out of some bodily orifice.

Bottom line.....perhaps junior was just plain crazy.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
From the comments, it does not appear that many of those listed as "readers" have ever read very much at all.

One story, however grotesque, isn't enough to conclude LEO correlates with higher domestic violence. Indeed, the other story cited here is about a judge, so could one conclude lawyers and judges have especially violent home lives? We've seen how Eagles coach Andy Reid's kids have had problems - and then there's Michael Vick - so could we conclude football leads to crime?

Domestic violence is all over the place, often still hidden. I'd have to question why this discussion belongs in law enforcement. Its a general plague in our society.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
From the comments, it does not appear that many of those listed as "readers" have ever read very much at all.
Kinda like some folks here on MT from time to time.

One story, however grotesque, isn't enough to conclude LEO correlates with higher domestic violence. Indeed, the other story cited here is about a judge, so could one conclude lawyers and judges have especially violent home lives? We've seen how Eagles coach Andy Reid's kids have had problems - and then there's Michael Vick - so could we conclude football leads to crime?
A broad brush indeed when it (the story) should've been painted with a finer one. It's like saying Pit Bull dogs are all dangerous. All Catholic Priests are child molesters, all Arabs are terrorists and so forth.

Domestic violence is all over the place, often still hidden. I'd have to question why this discussion belongs in law enforcement. Its a general plague in our society.
Agreed.

Latest Discussions