Only throw a spinning back after another roundhouse

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So this is a bit if advice I got once which I very much agree with. We all know spinning kicks are risky moves so what I got told is never throw a spinning kick from your base as your first move. The best thing to do is throw a roundhouse kick and if that misses use that circular rotation you've got from your hips then go into a spinning kick that way it's less telegraphed ajd you get more momentum, I guess you could also do the same with a hook punch

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rules that start with "never" and "always" and other such absolutes are rarely worth paying much attention to.
The notion that spinning kicks are inherently "risky" is just that - a notion.
If you're telegraphing the kick, the problem is that you're telegraphing, not which kick you're telegraphing.
Choice of kick is a matter of distance, timing, individual preferences and a host of other circumstances.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What if someones pushing forward and as they do I throw one? Valid strategy, and no roundhouse kick, or any other kick, involved.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What if someones pushing forward and as they do I throw one? Valid strategy, and no roundhouse kick, or any other kick, involved.

If you have the timing and distance correct (as is true for pretty much any strike...), and you throw the technique properly (which includes not telegraphing it, just like any other strike), then it's a perfectly sound strategy.
I've thrown spinning kicks as a starter simply as a way to cover distance. You're out of range. You spin. You're now in range. Boom.
I've also thrown spinning kicks in much the situation you're describing. The person moving forward now gets to deal with whatever power I can generate, plus the kinetic energy of their own body moving forward into the kick.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So this is a bit if advice I got once which I very much agree with. We all know spinning kicks are risky moves so what I got told is never throw a spinning kick from your base as your first move. The best thing to do is throw a roundhouse kick and if that misses use that circular rotation you've got from your hips then go into a spinning kick that way it's less telegraphed ajd you get more momentum, I guess you could also do the same with a hook punch

That kind of move can help to disguise your footwork and buy you a moment for the second (often slower) kick, yeah.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've thrown spinning kicks as a starter simply as a way to cover distance. You're out of range. You spin. You're now in range. Boom.
I can't do this..not fast enough with them. However, someone doing this is what taught me the power of spinning kicks. I've been working on them for about a year now (they're in my curriculum but I always let it slack) because of how effective this is.
I've also thrown spinning kicks in much the situation you're describing. The person moving forward now gets to deal with whatever power I can generate, plus the kinetic energy of their own body moving forward into the kick.
Yup. This one I have down, provided the person isn't expecting it. As someone who tends to be defensive, this has helped my sparring so much.

Note: Neither of these involve a roundhouse or another kick, and IMO they are the most overall effective/consistent ways to use a spin kick.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
IMO, from a Taekwondo perspective, back kick is primarily a counter attack, particularly against a round kick. It's much easier to apply back kick when your opponent is standing on one leg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It all depends on how well you can kick in fighting. Go fight with elite kickers, tell me what you think.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Any attack is risky when you don't time it right.

Any inherent risk from spinning attacks is obviously turning your back. If you don't miss, but get jammed up and collide without getting the kick off, that's where I have seen the real risk.

but again that's a timing/distance issue.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Any attack is risky when you don't time it right.

Any inherent risk from spinning attacks is obviously turning your back. If you don't miss, but get jammed up and collide without getting the kick off, that's where I have seen the real risk.

but again that's a timing/distance issue.

Bit off topic but one of
My favorite moves is countering a not well-timed or telegraphed spin kick with a side kick to the buttocks as the back is presented.... Sends them sprawling every time